Re: 2023 NHL Draft Thread

I will be submitting my thoughts on this draft in another week or so. I have been pretty much honed in on research and a lot of game watching…primarily juniors of course which is probably why I don’t usually have a lot of Euros on my list. I will break down a group of about 10 players or so that to me are players who were born to play for the St. Louis Blues.
I have already given you a few names…they may or might not make my list of 10 when all is said and done. I will throw out a couple of other names right now that have been getting a lot of my focus this last week…Carey Terrance and Nick Lardis. I’m getting pumped for sure because this a heck of a draft. I don’t expect Army to keep all three first rounders and that’s ok because we might acquire some additional picks and I believe there are some gems to be found a little later like Terrance.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:13 pm I will be submitting my thoughts on this draft in another week or so. I have been pretty much honed in on research and a lot of game watching…primarily juniors of course which is probably why I don’t usually have a lot of Euros on my list. I will break down a group of about 10 players or so that to me are players who were born to play for the St. Louis Blues.
I have already given you a few names…they may or might not make my list of 10 when all is said and done. I will throw out a couple of other names right now that have been getting a lot of my focus this last week…Carey Terrance and Nick Lardis. I’m getting pumped for sure because this a heck of a draft. I don’t expect Army to keep all three first rounders and that’s ok because we might acquire some additional picks and I believe there are some gems to be found a little later like Terrance.
Just wanting to say I always look forward to this and it’s appreciated
Just a Russian propaganda account

NHLTIM wrote: I will be submitting my thoughts on this draft in another week or so. I have been pretty much honed in on research and a lot of game watching…primarily juniors of course which is probably why I don’t usually have a lot of Euros on my list. I will break down a group of about 10 players or so that to me are players who were born to play for the St. Louis Blues.
Cool 8-)

NHL TIM

If you're in a reading mood, this was a good back and forth conversation on some of the top prospects, especially considering the Blues are probably in one the topics discussed. Namely the centers Danielson vs Moore and the defensemen.

https://theathletic.com/4611341/2023/06 ... son-moore/

Snippet:

Bultman: Corey, why should Danielson go first?

Corey Pronman: I agree with a lot of the things Scott said above. The one major disagreement I have is the skill and creating. I think Danielson has excellent skill. He’s a play driver with high-end hands who can create at high tempos. He is more skilled than Moore. He is only a couple months older but his junior production is better, both in his draft season and as an underage in a better junior league. He is a better shooter, as I thought Danielson was a more consistent threat shooting from mid-range/faceoff dot this season and a multi-dimensional guy on the power play.

Some may argue that Moore didn’t get PP1 time/premium offensive opportunities, but Danielson had very iffy linemates around him all season while being the guy teams always matched up so I think those issues balance out.

Moore gets a significant edge in the skating department, there’s no question about it. But otherwise Danielson is 2.5 inches taller, with better skill, finishing ability, and overall track record of scoring. That’s plenty of major differences for me to close the skating gap and make me think he will be the superior pro.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:36 pm I find it tough to believe Army offered that and the Flyers turned it down. He’s a 30 year old third line center. Either way it appears the Blues have no interest in a rebuild and believe they can be right back in contention next year.

Not a chance. There's going to be a lot of confused Flyer fans when Laughton goes for less than that. 28 year olds with 1 career 40 point season shouldn't net a first and a second.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:49 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:36 pm I find it tough to believe Army offered that and the Flyers turned it down. He’s a 30 year old third line center. Either way it appears the Blues have no interest in a rebuild and believe they can be right back in contention next year.

Not a chance. There's going to be a lot of confused Flyer fans when Laughton goes for less than that. 28 year olds with 1 career 40 point season shouldn't net a first and a second.
Frank Seravalli is not my go to source for anything. That sounds like a pump up to try to move the guy.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:10 pm

Frank Seravalli is not my go to source for anything. That sounds like a pump up to try to move the guy.
Army doesn't tell people what he's trying to do. Methinks Frank is throwing shit against the wall.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:24 pm

Army doesn't tell people what he's trying to do. Methinks Frank is throwing shit against the wall.
Sounds like he's doing a favor for the Flyers

I would assume this leak came from the Flyers side to drive prices up. Certainly wouldn't come from Army.

If the Blues are moving that then it better be Konecny coming back. Don't get me wrong, all things equal I'd welcome Laughton on this team but surely not at that rate. He's not a needle mover.

But more so, it does confirm the Blues are open for business and Stillman probably can't afford multiple years of no playoff revenue. I just worry about the Blues getting stuck in the middle. Not great, not terrible, just an okay team.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:54 pm

If the Blues are moving that then it better be Konecny coming back. Don't get me wrong, all things equal I'd welcome Laughton on this team but surely not at that rate. He's not a needle mover.

But more so, it does confirm the Blues are open for business and Stillman probably can't afford multiple years of no playoff revenue. I just worry about the Blues getting stuck in the middle. Not great, not terrible, just an okay team.
If the Blues are gunning to get back to the playoffs then right now is not the time for safe moves.

Let's see more Vrana type deals.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:30 pm

If the Blues are gunning to get back to the playoffs then right now is not the time for safe moves.

The West is certainly open. There's no team you look at and think they are truly unbeatable. Who knows, maybe Weber the new assistant is a miracle worker and can get the most out of these defensemen. I have no qualms with Dougie being aggressive.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:00 pm

The West is certainly open. There's no team you look at and think they are truly unbeatable. Who knows, maybe Weber the new assistant is a miracle worker and can get the most out of these defensemen. I have no qualms with Dougie being aggressive.
Vegas and Colorado still look like juggernauts to me. After those 2 it gets interesting.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Army is terrible with contracts, but a wizard at trades.

If it was a 1st and 2nd rd to sign him as an RFA to a 7 yr contract with a NTC.... that'd be more believable
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

The thing that really confirms this is BS is that it’s being reported Philly turned that down. Team is shit and in a full rebuild. No way they’d turn that down just to keep Laughton.

Be sweet if Army ends up ripping them off in a trade during the draft. You know Army is working on Philly best he can. Sees a vulnerable team open for business and he’s working it.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:37 pm

Vegas and Colorado still look like juggernauts to me. After those 2 it gets interesting.
Depends of Landeskog for me. Vegas might lose Adin Hill and even if they keep him, there's a good chance he's not the guy who he was in the playoffs and is just the guy he's always been, a guy.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:41 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:37 pm

Depends of Landeskog for me. Vegas might lose Adin Hill and even if they keep him, there's a good chance he's not the guy who he was in the playoffs and is just the guy he's always been, a guy.
Landeskog is already expected to miss the entire season, and I wouldn't expect anyone other than maybe a top 5 player to be able to just pull a Kucherov and step into the NHL playoffs without having played at any level in multiple years and move the needle. Then with Vegas and Hill, I don't know, they manage to find goalies, they have Thompson and more in their pipeline coming. Willing to bet their defensive structure might even be built around their goalie's play style.

A lot left to change to see who the big boys will be. Boston went up and down the whole roller coaster with how shit people expected them to be, how great they were and how bad they crumbled.

Several mockers have The Blues picking Reinbacher at #10. I would rather see them take the BPA, which would, in my estimation, be a centre. They could still get a talented defenceman with one of their picks in the 20s, who wouldn't be overvalued at 10. This draft is so deep with good, solid prospects that I'd like to see them keep all 3 1st Rounders and take 3 high-level prospects, rather than trading one to move up to a higher pick, or one to obtain a veteran defenceman, whose best prime years could well be over before the team's next true Stanley Cup contention window opens.