Re: Blues 2022-2023 season thread

Interesting comment in the Athletic. I haven't seen the Blues specifically linked to DeBrincat anywhere. Would LOVE Keller. The theme of the article is trades they'd like to see happen this off-season.

https://theathletic.com/4597599/2023/06 ... at-zegras/

Senators trade Alex DeBrincat to the Red Wings for Filip Zadina and the 17th pick in 2023
Watching these playoffs unfold and seeing how much success both Vegas and Florida are having with rugged, physically-punishing forwards in the lineup — will that depress the market for the small, skilled forward that has been making such an impact in the “new” NHL? Talented but undersized players can help you get to the playoffs, but with a handful of exceptions — and we’ll put an in-his-prime Patrick Kane at the top of the list — they may not nearly be as effective in the postseason.

And I raise the point here because it isn’t just DeBrincat who fits in that category. If Arizona’s Clayton Keller is in play, he’s that sort of player too. DeBrincat has been linked to St. Louis but if the Blues are after that style of player it makes more sense for them to pursue Keller, the hometown boy, because they have the draft capital Arizona might want (three first-rounders in 2023, their own plus Toronto’s and Dallas’) in exchange. Similarly, DeBrincat to the Red Wings makes sense, not only because he is from Farmington Hills (a Detroit suburb) but because he is the sort of creative offensive player that the Red Wings badly lack at the moment. Only Dylan Larkin, with 32 goals and David Perron, with 24, had more than 20 for Detroit this year. The Red Wings ranked 24th in offense out of 32 teams.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:27 pm Interesting comment in the Athletic. I haven't seen the Blues specifically linked to DeBrincat anywhere. Would LOVE Keller. The theme of the article is trades they'd like to see happen this off-season.

Senators trade Alex DeBrincat to the Red Wings for Filip Zadina and the 17th pick in 2023
Watching these playoffs unfold and seeing how much success both Vegas and Florida are having with rugged, physically-punishing forwards in the lineup — will that depress the market for the small, skilled forward that has been making such an impact in the “new” NHL? Talented but undersized players can help you get to the playoffs, but with a handful of exceptions — and we’ll put an in-his-prime Patrick Kane at the top of the list — they may not nearly be as effective in the postseason.

And I raise the point here because it isn’t just DeBrincat who fits in that category. If Arizona’s Clayton Keller is in play, he’s that sort of player too. DeBrincat has been linked to St. Louis but if the Blues are after that style of player it makes more sense for them to pursue Keller, the hometown boy, because they have the draft capital Arizona might want (three first-rounders in 2023, their own plus Toronto’s and Dallas’) in exchange. Similarly, DeBrincat to the Red Wings makes sense, not only because he is from Farmington Hills (a Detroit suburb) but because he is the sort of creative offensive player that the Red Wings badly lack at the moment. Only Dylan Larkin, with 32 goals and David Perron, with 24, had more than 20 for Detroit this year. The Red Wings ranked 24th in offense out of 32 teams.
Friedman mentioned that he thought Armstrong might be after DeBrincat, but was speculating rather than reporting it as fact. Regarding the points here, I really don't care where the players are from. It's neat when a hometown boy makes good, but the reason we all liked Maroon and wanted Tkachuk was because they were good players that fit a need. I'd be happy with DeBrincat or Keller, and my preference would probably depend on what DeBrincat's contract looked like. Keller has 5 seasons at just over $7m per. That's a fair deal, but I don't know how much any of this will matter if they don't also shake up the blue line. I don't want to turn away skill in the forward group, but they also need a little snarl and some guys that will forecheck.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:38 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:27 pm Interesting comment in the Athletic. I haven't seen the Blues specifically linked to DeBrincat anywhere. Would LOVE Keller. The theme of the article is trades they'd like to see happen this off-season.

Friedman mentioned that he thought Armstrong might be after DeBrincat, but was speculating rather than reporting it as fact. Regarding the points here, I really don't care where the players are from. It's neat when a hometown boy makes good, but the reason we all liked Maroon and wanted Tkachuk was because they were good players that fit a need. I'd be happy with DeBrincat or Keller, and my preference would probably depend on what DeBrincat's contract looked like. Keller has 5 seasons at just over $7m per. That's a fair deal, but I don't know how much any of this will matter if they don't also shake up the blue line. I don't want to turn away skill in the forward group, but they also need a little snarl and some guys that will forecheck.
The hell with it, we'll just try to win every game 7-5 :lol:

Run out a 4 forwards 1 d-man formation.

Yeah, I don't really buy the hometown boy thing either. And unless Arizona is just stockpiling assets just for the sake of stockpiling assets I can't see a reason for them to move Keller unless he wants out. And don't get me wrong he very well might.

Arizona is a dead franchise and a joke.

It's going to take a couple of seasons but I think we, the Blues have some hard times ahead and big changes coming too.

If Armstrong does move draft capital I believe it's going to be something to build for the future with, not to maintain the status quo.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:24 am I don't understand what you guys mean about "don't buy the hometown boy thing"???
Just saying I want the right players, don't really care where they grew up. If they grew up in the area, great story. I'll take a team full of guys from Antarctica if they win.

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:21 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:24 am I don't understand what you guys mean about "don't buy the hometown boy thing"???
Just saying I want the right players, don't really care where they grew up. If they grew up in the area, great story. I'll take a team full of guys from Antarctica if they win.
Yeah. That's the point.

We need to bring Keller home, and I’ve heard he wants to come home specifically, but generally wants out of AZ (obviously). But yes, I have the fear of another smaller guy in our top 6. If we do that, which I want us to do, we’d also better find some big ass pipe-hitting fellows that play like Dallas Drake with sand in his crack to protect these guys.

T.C. wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:24 am We need to bring Keller home, and I’ve heard he wants to come home specifically, but generally wants out of AZ (obviously). But yes, I have the fear of another smaller guy in our top 6. If we do that, which I want us to do, we’d also better find some big ass pipe-hitting fellows that play like Dallas Drake with sand in his crack to protect these guys.
The Blues aren’t really that small in the top 6. They are all six feet and above. Now if you mean not physical then yes I agree. But agree, they can’t pass on Keller if the opportunity presents itself.

We’ve seen what big deals like Eichel to Vegas and Tkachuk to Florida has done for those teams.

More Keller speculation: https://theathletic.com/4598100/2023/06 ... directed=1

Coyotes’ Schmaltz in play? And Keller?
Nick Schmaltz (No. 13 on the trade board) has three years remaining on his contract with a reasonable average annual value of $5.85 million. The problem is, the contract is backloaded with actual dollar amounts of $7.5 million, $8.45 million and $8.5 million. Also: A limited no-trade clause kicks in July 1. Actual dollars matter for the Coyotes, and that might be too expensive.

Clayton Keller could be in play, as well. The Blues, who have three first-rounders in the 2023 draft, make sense for the 24-year-old from St. Louis. If he continues to be a point-per-game player, his $7.15 million AAV through 2028 could be a bargain.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:09 pm More Keller speculation: https://theathletic.com/4598100/2023/06 ... directed=1

Coyotes’ Schmaltz in play? And Keller?
Nick Schmaltz (No. 13 on the trade board) has three years remaining on his contract with a reasonable average annual value of $5.85 million. The problem is, the contract is backloaded with actual dollar amounts of $7.5 million, $8.45 million and $8.5 million. Also: A limited no-trade clause kicks in July 1. Actual dollars matter for the Coyotes, and that might be too expensive.

Clayton Keller could be in play, as well. The Blues, who have three first-rounders in the 2023 draft, make sense for the 24-year-old from St. Louis. If he continues to be a point-per-game player, his $7.15 million AAV through 2028 could be a bargain.
To me a Keller acquisition would signal perhaps the busiest offseason Armstrong has ever had with the Blues. At the base level, Keller is the kind of player you want to acquire because he's young, under contract for years and he scores goals. All great things. All things Armstrong has publicly stated he is looking for. The other items on the offseason to do list are to shake-up the D, and settle on a backup goalie (I think we all assume that's just promoting Hofer).

If you're trading with AZ for Keller, typically teams dump bad contracts on them and perhaps add an additional pick. That's not really possible for the Blues since all their bad contracts have no trade clauses and certainly won't go there as we've noted before. That mean's Armstrong is going to have to make another deal to relieve some cap space and or shake up the D. That's going to likely cost draft picks, however so is acquiring Keller. At the same time, if you're in a rebuild/retool, you want to keep those picks. Ok, trade some prospects in lieu of picks. Problem there is the prospect pool is already so damn thin.

It's going to be a fascinating summer. As we've said on here many times, Trader Doug is good, Free Agent Doug is bad. Hopefully he can get this ship turned around before UFA opens, but he'll have to do so with a short deck. I have a feeling the summer it's going to be a whirlwind of a next month for Blues fans.

I bet we see a return of old friend Sunny D this summer. I can't imagine he'll be super expensive, they need that type of player, and he's been going to MLS games in St. Louis this Spring. We all know Army loves signing players he's already had, and Sundqvist is my pick for this summer's reunion.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:48 pm I bet we see a return of old friend Sunny D this summer. I can't imagine he'll be super expensive, they need that type of player, and he's been going to MLS games in St. Louis this Spring. We all know Army loves signing players he's already had, and Sundqvist is my pick for this summer's reunion.
Good call! Counting the days when Perron gets a PTO here :lol:

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:48 pm I bet we see a return of old friend Sunny D this summer. I can't imagine he'll be super expensive, they need that type of player, and he's been going to MLS games in St. Louis this Spring. We all know Army loves signing players he's already had, and Sundqvist is my pick for this summer's reunion.
Would be a great get for them. Him and Toropchenko on a line together sure would add some size to the bottom 6.

Speaking of size, Lucic will be a UFA, but I don't think that's a fit. He's probably looking for a team that's very close to winning, and I'd be concerned that he's cooked anyway.

Dave's a mess wrote: Speaking of size, Lucic will be a UFA, but I don't think that's a fit. He's probably looking for a team that's very close to winning, and I'd be concerned that he's cooked anyway.
Personally I think the Blues are close to winning. I expect this team to make the playoffs next year. And as much as I would like a couple guys that can score and provide beef, I don't want Lucic now, he's pretty much toast at this point.

BluesSK wrote: The final piece to the puzzle is in place

I think we need our Blues 23-24 thread.
I was surprised he didn't play in a few games last year. Guess he has no shot at 4th line duty except in case of extreme emergency.

Is Scandella in Gunnarson land now? Is he a liability physically from here on out? Or will he be healthy and ready to go next year? Cause I don't think he's bad if healthy. If healthy he'd be serviceable. I'd like to see him redeem himself and quiet the critics.

BillP. wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:18 pm Is Scandella in Gunnarson land now? Is he a liability physically from here on out? Or will he be healthy and ready to go next year? Cause I don't think he's bad if healthy. If healthy he'd be serviceable. I'd like to see him redeem himself and quiet the critics.
I sure hope another gm has the same faith in him you do so they'll take him off our hands.

I have incredible respect for Scandella. He parlayed 11 good games playing with a pre-back injury Parayko into a $13.1 million contract. He only has one year left so he could probably be moved without too much pain. I'd like to move one of the higher priced guys instead though.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:15 pm I have incredible respect for Scandella. He parlayed 11 good games playing with a pre-back injury Parayko into a $13.1 million contract. He only has one year left so he could probably be moved without too much pain. I'd like to move one of the higher priced guys instead though.
Well, kudos for him but he is easily one of the worst signings in Armstrong's history as a GM.

Unless Petro actually told Armstrong there was no way he would ever re-sign with the Blues that extra Scandella money could have allowed us to re-sign Petro.