Re: NHL Offseason Trades/Signings Thread

Ozzies09tc wrote: I will say.... If THIS is the team we are skating next year.... My expectations are low and playoffs are a 1st rd only kinda thing. - there's my low point
I'm warming up to the Leddy over Perron deal. Blues defense, though not 19 esque, will be an above average defense that will be able to move the puck. And it has depth. Our goaltending, even with Greiss, who is actually pretty good, will benefit from it immensely. And in the STL Today column yesterday, Bolduc says he expects to play with Blues next year. This team will be a contendah. Just sayin...............................

Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:07 am I will say.... If THIS is the team we are skating next year.... My expectations are low and playoffs are a 1st rd only kinda thing. - there's my low point
The defense is scary and not for the rest of the league but for us. My hopes that Parayko will take that next step forward are gone at this point being that he's 29 years old. Not that he's a bad defensemen, he's just never going to be THE guy and that's what this team needs him to be and is casting him to be.

I am also very frustrated by this whole Tarasenko situation. There's minimal chance he resigns here, I just don't get why we are hanging onto him. He's a great player but it's terrible asset management to have a player of his talent and just let them walk off when you can get SOMETHING in return for him. It could obviously still happen but it's dragged on too long.

It's going to be tough for them next year because we can agree that Colorado is clearly better, the Wild should be good again, and now you have Nashville who has improved a lot this off-season. Blues are going to be in a battle to make the playoffs and very easily could be the wild card team matching Colorado in round 1 again.
Just a Russian propaganda account

I think this is still a 100 point team. I don't think it's a top tier Cup contender, but I think it's still probably the second best team in the division if Binnington has a decent year. I think Colorado and Minnesota both lost more than the Blues did (though the Avs are still clearly the class of the division). A full year of Perunovich will be fun to see. I can't wait to see what Neighbours looks like knowing a top 9 spot is his to lose. Hell, maybe Bolduc has a strong camp and sees at least 9 games with the Blues. The back end is not good enough to beat the best in a 7 game series, but honestly it's fine for the regular season. I still think there's a move to come, but if not, it's a team that treads water then loses to Colorado unless Binnington goes god-mode again but doesn't get hurt.

The season can still go off the rails, and I'm curious to see how the special teams look with the loss of Perron on the PP and Montgomery running the PK. I'm definitely underwhelmed with the offseason so far, but I'd rather tread water than lock into a disaster contract at the start of free agency.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:51 am I think this is still a 100 point team. I don't think it's a top tier Cup contender, but I think it's still probably the second best team in the division if Binnington has a decent year. I think Colorado and Minnesota both lost more than the Blues did (though the Avs are still clearly the class of the division). A full year of Perunovich will be fun to see. I can't wait to see what Neighbours looks like knowing a top 9 spot is his to lose. Hell, maybe Bolduc has a strong camp and sees at least 9 games with the Blues. The back end is not good enough to beat the best in a 7 game series, but honestly it's fine for the regular season. I still think there's a move to come, but if not, it's a team that treads water then loses to Colorado unless Binnington goes god-mode again but doesn't get hurt.

The season can still go off the rails, and I'm curious to see how the special teams look with the loss of Perron on the PP and Montgomery running the PK. I'm definitely underwhelmed with the offseason so far, but I'd rather tread water than lock into a disaster contract at the start of free agency.
100 point team last season barely sneaks into the playoffs.

see; Nick Leddy
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:03 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:07 am I will say.... If THIS is the team we are skating next year.... My expectations are low and playoffs are a 1st rd only kinda thing. - there's my low point
The defense is scary and not for the rest of the league but for us. My hopes that Parayko will take that next step forward are gone at this point being that he's 29 years old. Not that he's a bad defensemen, he's just never going to be THE guy and that's what this team needs him to be and is casting him to be.

I am also very frustrated by this whole Tarasenko situation. There's minimal chance he resigns here, I just don't get why we are hanging onto him. He's a great player but it's terrible asset management to have a player of his talent and just let them walk off when you can get SOMETHING in return for him. It could obviously still happen but it's dragged on too long.

It's going to be tough for them next year because we can agree that Colorado is clearly better, the Wild should be good again, and now you have Nashville who has improved a lot this off-season. Blues are going to be in a battle to make the playoffs and very easily could be the wild card team matching Colorado in round 1 again.
Nashville has improved a lot. The rest are pretty much the same.

I agree with you about the Tarasenko issue. Either sign an extension or get rid of him. It has become a distraction. Really the same can be said about the ROR contract.

We're still a good team but we aren't far from re-tooling, re-building or pushing on with free agents.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:51 am I think this is still a 100 point team. I don't think it's a top tier Cup contender, but I think it's still probably the second best team in the division if Binnington has a decent year. I think Colorado and Minnesota both lost more than the Blues did (though the Avs are still clearly the class of the division). A full year of Perunovich will be fun to see. I can't wait to see what Neighbours looks like knowing a top 9 spot is his to lose. Hell, maybe Bolduc has a strong camp and sees at least 9 games with the Blues. The back end is not good enough to beat the best in a 7 game series, but honestly it's fine for the regular season. I still think there's a move to come, but if not, it's a team that treads water then loses to Colorado unless Binnington goes god-mode again but doesn't get hurt.

see; Nick Leddy

Oh ye of little faith.

I expect more from you this upcoming season Dread. Think positive 8-)

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:54 am

see; Nick Leddy
Only in last year's East, which was the most top/bottom heavy conference since the lockout. There were zero middle class teams there last year, it was weird. I don't believe a team has ever missed with 100 points. But not to get hung up on the point total, I think as constructed the Blues finish second or third in the division.

The Leddy deal isn't great, but 4x4 isn't going to be an albatross, particularly when the cap starts going up again.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:58 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:05 am
BillP. wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:19 pm Rumor has it Kadri is going to be an Islander.
The rumor that he's already signed but Lou is keeping the deal under wraps until the fall is just so damn funny. Wherever he ends up that's going to be an interesting contract.
I would prefer to see him go East to lower the proability of him cheapshotting more Blues players.
Let Tom Wilson deal with him.