Re: NHL Offseason Trades/Signings Thread

1226, you’re bat shit crazy.

But seriously, interesting take. Not sure if we will ever find out any details, unfortunately. But I did just see that the vast majority of Tkachuk’s contract with Florida is signing bonus, and a few other details that I don’t think the Blues would have gone for. Whatever….I’m glad this is over.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:38 am
Matangama wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:38 am I’m not sure if St. Louis was “used” by Tkachuk in this whole process or not. We never heard anything from him, obviously, saying he only wanted to play here. This seems to be more a case of Strickland and others driving that narrative. In reality, MT just wanted out of Canada and then wanted his huge bag of money. He doesn’t give a fuck where he plays, as long as it’s not in Canada. Oh well……fuck him, and now Army needs to get to work.
I'm starting to think Army is just going to try and run it back with pretty much the team in place and take one more shot at it. If it flops, and it very well could if JB50 of last regular season shows up again, I think the do a minor rebuild of moving on from ROR and Tarasenko and start to build the roster around Thomas, Kyrou, and Barbashev.

Hell, maybe Colorado and Nate Mac can't figure out a deal and St Louis use that 15 million to steal him away. I can dream, right? RIGHT?! Pastrnak is up too.
Yeah I guess Barbashev could still get inked here after all pending on how things shake out. We all figured this was his last deal here but maybe not.

Blues are still okay if this is the team. It was still playoff Binner that elevated this team to another level and he’s still here. And being deep on defense is a nice problem to have actually. Scandella will be healthy and on the 3rd pair. We might have a heck of a D.

stlblues1226 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:34 am I actually think that another possible option for what happened was that Calgary wasn't going to give Tkachuk what he wanted without making a killing. Now, hear me out before you tell me I'm bat shit crazy (which I probably am, but that's not to point I'm trying to make here).

Everyone knew Tkachuk wanted to play in St. Louis. And we all know that Tkachuk was going to get a great return, no matter where he went. So, Calgary decides that since Tkachuk wants to go to St. Louis it would take a kings ransom plus to make that trade happen. For my example, let's say Calgary wanted Parayko, Kyrou, Kostin, and a 1st. No way in hell Armstrong makes that deal.

I really trust Armstrong to not cripple the team just to get the deal done, and I believe what Calgary wanted from the Blues would have done just that. I may not have had the deal exactly right, but I really think the price for the Blues was going to be higher than for another team. Look what Calgary got from Florida. If I'm right, then St. Louis would need to have topped that offer significantly.

I would have loved to have had Tkachuk wearing the blue note, but not for what I think Calgary wanted from the Blues. There, I've said what I came here to say.
Tkachuk signed the extension. If he really wanted to go to St Louis he could have just played out his contract.

Florida has a real beneficial tax structure right?

Pretty sure it was about the money. 💰💰💰

BluesSK wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:52 am
stlblues1226 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:34 am I actually think that another possible option for what happened was that Calgary wasn't going to give Tkachuk what he wanted without making a killing. Now, hear me out before you tell me I'm bat shit crazy (which I probably am, but that's not to point I'm trying to make here).

Everyone knew Tkachuk wanted to play in St. Louis. And we all know that Tkachuk was going to get a great return, no matter where he went. So, Calgary decides that since Tkachuk wants to go to St. Louis it would take a kings ransom plus to make that trade happen. For my example, let's say Calgary wanted Parayko, Kyrou, Kostin, and a 1st. No way in hell Armstrong makes that deal.

I really trust Armstrong to not cripple the team just to get the deal done, and I believe what Calgary wanted from the Blues would have done just that. I may not have had the deal exactly right, but I really think the price for the Blues was going to be higher than for another team. Look what Calgary got from Florida. If I'm right, then St. Louis would need to have topped that offer significantly.

I would have loved to have had Tkachuk wearing the blue note, but not for what I think Calgary wanted from the Blues. There, I've said what I came here to say.
Tkachuk signed the extension. If he really wanted to go to St Louis he could have just played out his contract.

Hope he enjoys playing in an empty arena.

BillP. wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:16 am

Only half the games are at home. He can count money between periods the rest of the time.

Believe it or not Florida had better attendance numbers in % to capacity and average per game than CalGary
Just a Russian propaganda account

Man I really don't understand all the sour grapes towards Tkachuk. Calgary (wisely) decides they have to trade him since he won't sign there long term, so he tells them the teams he'd be willing to sign. At that point it's just a matter of Calgary picking which offer it likes the best, and letting Tkachuk and that team's GM work out a deal. Unless he said he'd only sign with the Blues, this was a possible outcome. If Calgary feels confident they can extend Weegar/Huberdeau, the Blues didn't really have a package that could compete with that anyway. If they did, I don't think he'd be worth it.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Matangama wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:38 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:19 pm On the record I would’ve traded Kyrou Parayko Kostin and a 1st for Tkachuk
Woof!

I would say that if you are actually willing to trade all of that, you could make two or three separate deals and end up in a much better place. All of that for Tkachuk? No thanks.
None of those guys can do what Tkachuk can do. He’s easily the best player in that hypothetical deal

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:40 pm Man I really don't understand all the sour grapes towards Tkachuk. Calgary (wisely) decides they have to trade him since he won't sign there long term, so he tells them the teams he'd be willing to sign. At that point it's just a matter of Calgary picking which offer it likes the best, and letting Tkachuk and that team's GM work out a deal. Unless he said he'd only sign with the Blues, this was a possible outcome. If Calgary feels confident they can extend Weegar/Huberdeau, the Blues didn't really have a package that could compete with that anyway. If they did, I don't think he'd be worth it.
Fans are miffed because he really didn't want to sign with the Blues. They were just another team.

Sour grapes. Yeah, maybe. Lots of disappointment though.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:38 pm

Believe it or not Florida had better attendance numbers in % to capacity and average per game than CalGary
Yeah, but it’s back to being Florida again. Took a juggernaut team to get respectable numbers. They’re going to suck now.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:48 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:40 pm Man I really don't understand all the sour grapes towards Tkachuk. Calgary (wisely) decides they have to trade him since he won't sign there long term, so he tells them the teams he'd be willing to sign. At that point it's just a matter of Calgary picking which offer it likes the best, and letting Tkachuk and that team's GM work out a deal. Unless he said he'd only sign with the Blues, this was a possible outcome. If Calgary feels confident they can extend Weegar/Huberdeau, the Blues didn't really have a package that could compete with that anyway. If they did, I don't think he'd be worth it.
Fans are miffed because he really didn't want to sign with the Blues. They were just another team.

I don't see how that's worth getting upset about. He didn't owe it to the Blues to hold the Flames hostage and say he'd only play in St. Louis. He loves St. Louis by all accounts, but never gave any indication that'd be the only place he wanted to live. The president's cup winning team just gave up 2 of its 4 best players plus a first and a prospect for him. Thank God we didn't do that.

I could understand the lure of the Big Apple or LA, but outside of that, I thought it was St Louis all the way. If Matt really wanted to be here, he could of driven that deal to a take it or leave it with STL. He’d of gotten his money here. Just frustrating. Thought he really was going to drive this to STL one way or another and that wasn’t the case. He’ll get bored in Florida if they end up sucking again and it wouldn’t surprise if ends up wanting out of there. Would of been a fan favorite here. Sometimes you wonder if these guys have anything upstairs.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:48 pm

Like I said, you wonder about these guys. Let’s see, come home and be THE guy, or go to another team and just be another guy. Whatever.

BillP. wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:07 pm
I could understand the lure of the Big Apple or LA, but outside of that, I thought it was St Louis all the way. If Matt really wanted to be here, he could of driven that deal to a take it or leave it with STL. He’d of gotten his money here. Just frustrating. Thought he really was going to drive this to STL one way or another and that wasn’t the case. He’ll get bored in Florida if they end up sucking again and it wouldn’t surprise if ends up wanting out of there. Would of been a fan favorite here. Sometimes you wonder if these guys have anything upstairs.
Why did you think that though? LeBron James chose Southern Florida over literally every other market in North America. How is the Miami area easier to get bored in than St. Louis? I love St. Louis, but other cities are great to live in too. What if things went south a couple years into his STL deal and he suddenly has a strained relationship with his hometown? Besides, I don't think it's been brought up yet, but along with having the league's best record last year, the Panthers also scored more goals than anyone in the league. So beyond getting a big contract that admittedly any of his suitors would've given him, he also gets to play a super fun brand of hockey and theoretically continue to put up more monster seasons on Sasha Barkov's wing.

I totally understand being disappointed that the Blues didn't get him, but I don't understand being upset at Tkachuk for not forcing his way to STL.

Robert Thomas could’ve forced his way home to
Toronto and been a fan favorite too but chose to sign in St. louis, does that make him stupid too? Very few guys end up playing for their childhood teams. Zach Parise went home and that turned into a disaster

Being young and rich on South Beach sounds fun to me

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:45 pm
Toronto and been a fan favorite too but chose to sign in St. louis, does that make him stupid too? Very few guys end up playing for their childhood teams. Zach Parise went home and that turned into a disaster

Not to mention you're on a kickass team too. It's a big win for Tkachuk personally and professionally. He can get his fill of toasted ravs in the summer.

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:44 pm

Not to mention you're on a kickass team too. It's a big win for Tkachuk personally and professionally. He can get his fill of toasted ravs in the summer.
Fuckin’ lard ass… he challenged the Blues!!! Called us names!!!

Work with me will ya, I thought you were on my side ;)