Re: NHL Offseason Trades/Signings Thread

At first glance, it looks like Calgary fleeced Florida... But what if Florida was convinced they couldn't resign the players they gave up? In that case, having Tkachuk for eight years blows away having Huberdeau and Weever for one year.

And wow, what a kick in the nuts for Blues fans. Tkachuk will one day play for the Blues. Unfortunately it will be when he's 35 or 36 years old and well past is prime. I kinda figured all along that's how it would go down. But for about a week, it looked like they were actually going to get his good years. They haven't had a player of that caliber for decades.

On another note, my gut tells me Huberdeau will be the center piece for the Red Wings' rise back to dominance. Zero logic behind that prediction.... it just feels about right.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:13 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:06 pm Tkachuk has been traded to Florida. The Blues terrible offseason slugs on

My take about the cost being surprisingly low appears to be yet another that was way off. Blues aren't the only one having a rough offseason.
I don’t think it was cheap. A 115 point player and a 44 point, +40 defenseman and first rounder. If the prospect is good that’s even more. This doesn’t make them better next year and they already lost Giroux, Marchment and Chiarot as well. Florida back to being Florida again. I mean, I guess if they’re looking to the future it’s a good deal, but the Panthers aren’t a Cup contender anymore. They’ve lost a lot this off season.
Last edited by BillP. on Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:16 pm The only salvageable factor is the Blues simply don’t have a player as good as Huberdeau on their roster to top that offer. Still stings
Tarasenko is comparable. Blues could of competed with this using Tarasenko as the centerpiece. Just thought the kid wanted to come here so the Blues held all the cards but I was wrong. But in a bidding war, a Tarasenko package could of swung this. Surprised Army let this slip thru his fingers. Guess Keith was no help after all - ha.

BillP. wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:55 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:16 pm The only salvageable factor is the Blues simply don’t have a player as good as Huberdeau on their roster to top that offer. Still stings
Tarasenko is comparable. Blues could of competed with this using Tarasenko as the centerpiece. Just thought the kid wanted to come here so the Blues held all the cards but I was wrong. But in a bidding war, a Tarasenko package could of swung this. Surprised Army let this slip thru his fingers. Guess Keith was no help after all - ha.
I think the similarities are they are both pending UFA’s coming off a career year. But Huburdeau’s career year resulted in 115 points, 33 more than Tarasenko, and a top 5 Hart trophy season.

I wish we knew what the Blues offer was but we’ll never know.
Just a Russian propaganda account

I’m not sure if St. Louis was “used” by Tkachuk in this whole process or not. We never heard anything from him, obviously, saying he only wanted to play here. This seems to be more a case of Strickland and others driving that narrative. In reality, MT just wanted out of Canada and then wanted his huge bag of money. He doesn’t give a fuck where he plays, as long as it’s not in Canada. Oh well……fuck him, and now Army needs to get to work.

BillP. wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:17 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:06 pm Tkachuk has been traded to Florida. The Blues terrible offseason slugs on

My take about the cost being surprisingly low appears to be yet another that was way off. Blues aren't the only one having a rough offseason.
I don’t think it was cheap. A 115 point player and a 44 point, +40 defenseman and first rounder. If the prospect is good that’s even more. This doesn’t make them better next year and they already lost Giroux, Marchment and Chiarot as well. Florida back to being Florida again. I mean, I guess if they’re looking to the future it’s a good deal, but the Panthers aren’t a Cup contender anymore. They’ve lost a lot this off season.
That's what my point was.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BillP. wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:33 am And I can’t believe Tkachuk wasn’t all in on coming to St Louis. I’m stunned. Thought for sure he was St Louis bound. Well, he can get lost. Take a hike. If he was open to playing anywhere he could of held out for a better destination. Have fun playing in an empty arena Matt.
It's ok to be open to playing more than one place. He's going to the team that just had the league's best record and best tax setup in the League. He had a handful of teams he'd go to, and Florida made the best offer. I don't know why anyone would be mad at Tkachuk, it's not as if he misled anyone or ditched the team in free agency.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Matangama wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:38 am I’m not sure if St. Louis was “used” by Tkachuk in this whole process or not. We never heard anything from him, obviously, saying he only wanted to play here. This seems to be more a case of Strickland and others driving that narrative. In reality, MT just wanted out of Canada and then wanted his huge bag of money. He doesn’t give a fuck where he plays, as long as it’s not in Canada. Oh well……fuck him, and now Army needs to get to work.
I'm starting to think Army is just going to try and run it back with pretty much the team in place and take one more shot at it. If it flops, and it very well could if JB50 of last regular season shows up again, I think the do a minor rebuild of moving on from ROR and Tarasenko and start to build the roster around Thomas, Kyrou, and Barbashev.

Hell, maybe Colorado and Nate Mac can't figure out a deal and St Louis use that 15 million to steal him away. I can dream, right? RIGHT?! Pastrnak is up too.

Matangama wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:38 am I’m not sure if St. Louis was “used” by Tkachuk in this whole process or not. We never heard anything from him, obviously, saying he only wanted to play here. This seems to be more a case of Strickland and others driving that narrative. In reality, MT just wanted out of Canada and then wanted his huge bag of money. He doesn’t give a fuck where he plays, as long as it’s not in Canada. Oh well……fuck him, and now Army needs to get to work.
I totally agree with what you are saying. Calgary got a kings ransom out of Florida because the fact that he could have went to St. Louis was always there.

On the Blues side; We are not in a very good position at all. It seems like a tired and stale roster even with one of the best young centers in the game. Our defense has some good pieces but no cornerstone guy. (He went for the money too)

BillP. wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:17 am

Yeah. If I'm a Florida fan I'm happy you got Tkachuk but worried that their management basically gutted a Cup contending team to do it.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:58 am

Yeah. If I'm a Florida fan I'm happy you got Tkachuk but worried that their management basically gutted a Cup contending team to do it.
Possibly. But I will say this about Huberdeau is that he is a perennial playoff no-show. He has just 5 goals in his 26 playoff games for the Panthers and ghosted this playoffs in their 10 games.

I actually think that another possible option for what happened was that Calgary wasn't going to give Tkachuk what he wanted without making a killing. Now, hear me out before you tell me I'm bat shit crazy (which I probably am, but that's not to point I'm trying to make here).

Everyone knew Tkachuk wanted to play in St. Louis. And we all know that Tkachuk was going to get a great return, no matter where he went. So, Calgary decides that since Tkachuk wants to go to St. Louis it would take a kings ransom plus to make that trade happen. For my example, let's say Calgary wanted Parayko, Kyrou, Kostin, and a 1st. No way in hell Armstrong makes that deal.

I really trust Armstrong to not cripple the team just to get the deal done, and I believe what Calgary wanted from the Blues would have done just that. I may not have had the deal exactly right, but I really think the price for the Blues was going to be higher than for another team. Look what Calgary got from Florida. If I'm right, then St. Louis would need to have topped that offer significantly.

I would have loved to have had Tkachuk wearing the blue note, but not for what I think Calgary wanted from the Blues. There, I've said what I came here to say.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!