Re: ‘22 playoffs thread

T.C. wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:47 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:36 pm it’s not a series until your goalie gets run….apparently

wait, a team - including the captain - that goes after the guy that just attempted to take out your goalie? weird. must just be a bunch of goons, no way they have won two consecutive (and likely three) Cups.
But Tampa was the team that ran the goalie....conclusions still there to be drawn.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:10 am
BluesSK wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:57 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:39 am

The water bottle thing being investigated is stupid, but it's not for racism. The race invoking death threats he received are also being investigated, but obviously didn't come from Binnington.
Oh? This Avs writer is trying to make it into that.
Ok, but nobody is investigating that in conjunction with racism. The racist death threats on social media are.
this is what his wife shared. not one comment about race.

and while these are gross, does anyone think these people actually believe/mean these? when you are at the height of emotion, you are going to whip out the nuclear bomb of words/sentences, the thing that you think will hurt them the most. did they expect people to send messages like, "excuse me my good man, i take umbrage with your play on the ice and would like to exchange words"? with what you did, expect some hate. trolls targeting the lowest hanging fruit are to be expected.
Attachments

T.C. wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:56 am

Ok, but nobody is investigating that in conjunction with racism. The racist death threats on social media are.

and while these are gross, does anyone think these people actually believe/mean these? when you are at the height of emotion, you are going to whip out the nuclear bomb of words/sentences, the thing that you think will hurt them the most. did they expect people to send messages like, "excuse me my good man, i take umbrage with your play on the ice and would like to exchange words"? with what you did, expect some hate. trolls targeting the lowest hanging fruit are to be expected.
I'm not a fan of this line of thinking because if 500 of them are just unstable idiots who will never act, all it takes is one lunatic, and honestly Kadri and his family shouldn't have to worry if that one lunatic is behind them.
Just a Russian propaganda account

sure, that's true. but if you put yourself in the public eye, it comes with the territory. pick your favorite movie star and read about the shit they have to deal with re: stalkers, etc. it's insane. my point is, if he was a lady byng candidate with his play and they beat us, does he get these comments? it has never come up from him until now. what's different?

T.C. wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:56 am

Not about race? Do you think these people would've called him a dirty immigrant or said they hope he blows up in a plane or referenced ISIS if he were white? Sure more trolls notice you if you're famous, but brushing these things off as a "boys will be boys" situation isn't the right move in my opinion. While one guy claims he's not a Blues fan, the rest don't seem to deny it. Makes me feel gross and embarrassed to have any shared rooting interest with those people.

T.C. wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:06 am sure, that's true. but if you put yourself in the public eye, it comes with the territory. pick your favorite movie star and read about the shit they have to deal with re: stalkers, etc. it's insane. my point is, if he was a lady byng candidate with his play and they beat us, does he get these comments? it has never come up from him until now. what's different?
Sure, but these insults are clearly racially and religiously motivated. I doubt Brad Marchand gets called a "fucking immigrant" even though he's from Canada. I don't think it should be excused as just part of the territory of being in the public eye.

religion != race. and i'm not excusing them, i'm saying of course you get this when you piss off an entire fan base on a play that likely eliminates their hope for a championship. i don't believe any of these people would actually attempt anything if in front of mr. kadri. but the immediate spin of "some st louis fans are racist" is not an accurate representation of the "threats", nor demonstrates an understanding of their context. but sure, please, by all means investigate them and take precautions. i just hope the results of the investigations are equally covered.

T.C. wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:39 am religion != race. and i'm not excusing them, i'm saying of course you get this when you piss off an entire fan base on a play that likely eliminates their hope for a championship. i don't believe any of these people would actually attempt anything if in front of mr. kadri. but the immediate spin of "some st louis fans are racist" is not an accurate representation of the "threats", nor demonstrates an understanding of their context. but sure, please, by all means investigate them and take precautions. i just hope the results of the investigations are equally covered.
But...some St Louis fans are racist. That's a fact of any fan base. And if you say that to someone in their DMs they have every right to put you on blast for everyone to see what you say "behind closed doors".

I don't think these people are going to be arrested and banished to a prison cell for the rest of eternity by any means but there's also no defense for that. Be a better human. Again, if it was MacKinnon who did it I doubt his religion or citizen status would have been brought up in the messages.

But neither of those thing had anything to do with why Binner flung a water bottle at him, which is what the reporter seemed to suggest.

T.C. wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:39 am religion != race. and i'm not excusing them, i'm saying of course you get this when you piss off an entire fan base on a play that likely eliminates their hope for a championship. i don't believe any of these people would actually attempt anything if in front of mr. kadri. but the immediate spin of "some st louis fans are racist" is not an accurate representation of the "threats", nor demonstrates an understanding of their context. but sure, please, by all means investigate them and take precautions. i just hope the results of the investigations are equally covered.
There are racists/hate mongers/whatever term is appropriate in every fanbase. It just sucks when those in our own fanbase make themselves so prominently featured. In all likelihood the threats are just bluster, but hopefully the idiots that made them realize they had the exact opposite effect they were hoping for. Part of Kadri's job is pissing off the other team. He's doing a phenomenal job of that. The team and fans would do well to just shut up and play.

By the way I know you're not agreeing or aligning yourself with those trolls, TC. Much love.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:52 am Again, if it was MacKinnon who did it I doubt his religion or citizen status would have been brought up in the messages.
that's exactly my point - if it were <insert other player here>, those same guys would spend 30 seconds researching whatever troubles that player had then say the absolute extreme of the most hurtful thing they can imagine. how many people here have made (and continue to make) jokes about a certain player's wife and another player from 30 years ago? if you are a minority player or have some religion other than the widely accepted ones of the west, it's low-hanging fruit and that's the immediately obvious (to these people) nuclear bomb. i wish we had a player like kadri. if he were on the blues, these same people would be attacking any fans of the opposition who made statements like that. it's fanaticism at its worst, and 99.9% of the time not real. that's all i'm saying. to make a news issue out of "racist attacks" or whatever does nothing for anyone, other than make casual fans or opponents of the NHL turned off. also, by the way, i haven't seen kadri himself saying any of these things. it's the media searching for clickbait. seems to me in everything i've read from kadri, he understand this. shrug. it's dumb, it sucks, but isn't real enough to internalize or care about. just have to be as safe as you can be and move forward.

also, a small part of me believes that if he were handled on the ice, most of these same emotions would have been spent and he wouldn't have gotten the same volume of messages online. to me, that's the core of the issue for the blues.

T.C. wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:06 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:52 am Again, if it was MacKinnon who did it I doubt his religion or citizen status would have been brought up in the messages.
that's exactly my point - if it were <insert other player here>, those same guys would spend 30 seconds researching whatever troubles that player had then say the absolute extreme of the most hurtful thing they can imagine. how many people here have made (and continue to make) jokes about a certain player's wife and another player from 30 years ago? if you are a minority player or have some religion other than the widely accepted ones of the west, it's low-hanging fruit and that's the immediately obvious (to these people) nuclear bomb. i wish we had a player like kadri. if he were on the blues, these same people would be attacking any fans of the opposition who made statements like that. it's fanaticism at its worst, and 99.9% of the time not real. that's all i'm saying. to make a news issue out of "racist attacks" or whatever does nothing for anyone, other than make casual fans or opponents of the NHL turned off. also, by the way, i haven't seen kadri himself saying any of these things. it's the media searching for clickbait. seems to me in everything i've read from kadri, he understand this. shrug. it's dumb, it sucks, but isn't real enough to internalize or care about. just have to be as safe as you can be and move forward.

also, a small part of me believes that if he were handled on the ice, most of these same emotions would have been spent and he wouldn't have gotten the same volume of messages online. to me, that's the core of the issue for the blues.
In the Blues playoff run, that player was very much David Perron. Every opponent fan base hated him. He was a the biggest pest out there and he was scoring. It was so fun to watch and cheer on.

I still think Kadri is an absolute coward though for not accept Schenn's offer to end it at the beginning of the game.

LOL yes the blues are responsible for this. they should definitely respond. i am sure a well-crafted, sweeping acknowledgement and apology from blues PR is forthcoming.

i assume these people saw the game and are well aware that the blues aren't keen to respond to kadri.

although, "suck a stale fart" is kind of funny.

BluesSK wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:30 pm If we would have ran their goalie first we wouldn't be having this conversation.
I know not everyone on here is a fan of him for departing for more money, but one guy that 100% would have "accidentally" run into Kuemper by now is David Backes.

T.C. wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:28 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:26 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:15 pm

I know not everyone on here is a fan of him for departing for more money, but one guy that 100% would have "accidentally" run into Kuemper by now is David Backes.
Tyson Nash
Pat Maroon
I don't know if Maroon would or wouldn't have run the goalie, but he obviously would've scored a series clinching goal by now.

Dave's a mess wrote:
BluesSK wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:30 pm If we would have ran their goalie first we wouldn't be having this conversation.
That's true. Absolutely.

Ott might of too. He'd of done something for sure. Any maybe Reaves.