Pronger Memory/Tribute Thread (GDT 1/17/22 - Preds @ Blues, 7p faceoff)

Seems appropriate that we have a thread dedicated to Pronger on the night #44 heads up to it's rightful place in the rafters. I don't have a specific memory that jumps to mind about Pronger. What really comes to mind is the remarkable turnaround in perception he earned from fans during his time here. I was absolutely shocked/hurt/angered when Keenan traded my favorite player (Shanahan) for a gangly young defenseman from a crappy team, and I know I wasn't alone. Over his first year or so he really didn't do anything change that perception...until he did. We all know what happened next. A Hart/Norris season, anchoring the best defensive team in the league, and generally being the least pleasant human you could possibly find yourself on the ice with in a different colored sweater.

After he was traded, he became my favorite non-Blues player in the league...possibly ever. He led a dogshit Oiler team to Game 7 of the Cup Final. He immediately turned Anaheim from solid team to a Cup winning powerhouse. That Philly team that he lead to the Final in 2010 is probably my favorite ever non-Blues team thanks in no small part to his puck stealing antics.

It's a shame he didn't play the bulk of his career wearing a Blue Note, but boy am I glad we traded my favorite player for him.
Last edited by Dave's a mess on Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: Pronger Memory/Tribute Thread

Following the trade that brought Pronger here, he wasn't very impressive right away. The memory that stands out for me, was Messier steaming into the Blues end along the boards. Pronger tried to just brush Messier off the puck with a half check along the boards. Messier, being Messier,he forced his way thru, and as play continued, the puck ended up the Blues net.
Keenan blew his stack, benched Pronger, and spent a good bit of the rest of game screaming at Pronger. Pronger later referred to that being his wake up call. From that point on, he was the mean and nasty number 44 whom I consider to have been the best Blues dman of all time.

Re: Pronger Memory/Tribute Thread

barnburner wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:56 am Following the trade that brought Pronger here, he wasn't very impressive right away. The memory that stands out for me, was Messier steaming into the Blues end along the boards. Pronger tried to just brush Messier off the puck with a half check along the boards. Messier, being Messier,he forced his way thru, and as play continued, the puck ended up the Blues net.
Keenan blew his stack, benched Pronger, and spent a good bit of the rest of game screaming at Pronger. Pronger later referred to that being his wake up call. From that point on, he was the mean and nasty number 44 whom I consider to have been the best Blues dman of all time.
I remember noticing in the first game I saw Pronger play he had the ability to clear the puck off the glass in any spot and could literally shoot the puck up with a flick of his wrist and clear the zone.

Re: Pronger Memory/Tribute Thread (GDT 1/17/22 - Preds @ Blues, 7p faceoff)

ratonmono wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:25 pm Prime Pronger was the best Blues player in history. Only Hull came close. I will never forgive those bourgeois cock sucking Wal-mart heir shit stains for selling him off for pennies.
Poor Eric Brewer...he should have asked to be traded somewhere else after ten seconds of the hate he got here....its not his fault he wasn't a hall of fame player.

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:08 am
ratonmono wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:25 pm Prime Pronger was the best Blues player in history. Only Hull came close. I will never forgive those bourgeois cock sucking Wal-mart heir shit stains for selling him off for pennies.
Poor Eric Brewer...he should have asked to be traded somewhere else after ten seconds of the hate he got here....its not his fault he wasn't a hall of fame player.
I didn't want him to be a hall of fame player(well I did but it wasn't the expectation), I just needed him to be the guy he was in Edmonton and he just simply wasn't. I think he felt the pressure of replacing Pronger and over extended himself. He got a lot more hate than he deserved though, but like I said in my original post its nearly impossible to come in and replace a fan favorite and end up a fan favorite yourself, like Pronger did.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:17 am
I didn't want him to be a hall of fame player(well I did but it wasn't the expectation), I just needed him to be the guy he was in Edmonton and he just simply wasn't. I think he felt the pressure of replacing Pronger and over extended himself. He got a lot more hate than he deserved though, but like I said in my original post its nearly impossible to come in and replace a fan favorite and end up a fan favorite yourself, like Pronger did.
Did you ever hear any of the stories about how fans treated his girlfriend? Holy shit...people walking up to her at games and yelling how much they hate Brewer.

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:35 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:17 am

Did you ever hear any of the stories about how fans treated his girlfriend? Holy shit...people walking up to her at games and yelling how much they hate Brewer.
Oh yeah, I thought Dave's A Mess was completely out of line with that.
Just a Russian propaganda account