Re: Parayko Signs 8 Year Extension $6.5 AAV

Doug wouldn't sign him if he wasn't healthy. This is good news on all fronts. I like the signing. We just need a 4th guy to fill out that top 4 and our D will super. Would like to see Scandella drop to 3rd pair. Either someone step up and grab a top 4 spot or we acquire someone. But I like a healthy Parayko, Faulk and Krug in top 4.

T.C. wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:12 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:55 pm First reaction, skeptical. I honestly don’t know what this dude is
yeah. bigger problem is, neither does he. hopefully this will give him some confidence/comfort and he can just go play. also, someone please hammer into his head that he has a great shot and should be taking it way more often.
I hope this contract has a "MEAN MOTHER-FUCKER" clause in it.

I like it. If Parayko would have walked, The Blues would have needed to add TWO high-quality defencemen. Only $6.5 million is a good bargain, IF Parayko won't be permanently impaired by chronic back problems. Back problems ARE often chronic, so we'll need some good luck. But, Armstrong had no choice. The Blues MIGHT be able to pick up ONE reasonably high-quality D-Man, but nit 2. None of their young defencemen are near ready to be the #3 or above addition they need. So, let's hope Mikkola can progress faster than he has been, so far, and become a decent #4 level, and Parayko's back problems are over, and he continues developing from a solid #2, to eventually reaching a true #1 level.

I agree with Tim that he has no more upside. But if he plays to his own personal ceiling then that’s more than good enough. Parayko was fuck’n fantastic during our Cup run title. He was literally picking pucks off the oppositions stick blades like picking cherries. And when he’s rushing that puck back up ice it’s dominating. He needs to get back to that level again.

What is interesting is that the Blues seem to have placed an internal individual cap for all their recent signings. Schenn, Krug, Faulk and now Parayko have a $6.5 cap hit. ROR and Tarasenko have a hit of 7.5, but during wildly different circumstances. I'm sure that's not a hard and fast policy since Petro was supposedly offered 8x8, but still kind of interesting. The Bruins had great success with the "no one makes more than Bergeron" policy.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

The other thing to note is that like all Army contracts, there is no signing bonus. His actual salary drops to $4.8M the last 3 years of the deal. That means that if he's cooked by then either by a squawky back or just eroded play, this is an easy deal to buyout. The Blues have never used a buyout on Armstrong's watch but it also makes it less of a pill for other teams to swallow in a trade. Hopefully he's healthy and all of this is irrelevant, but still good to know.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:56 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:55 pm First reaction, skeptical. I honestly don’t know what this dude is
yeah. bigger problem is, neither does he. hopefully this will give him some confidence/comfort and he can just go play. also, someone please hammer into his head that he has a great shot and should be taking it way more often.
Unfortunately, you can't change a players disposition.

barnburner wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:39 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:56 pm

Unfortunately, you can't change a players disposition.
...Then they need to dump Krug and find a LD who can kick some ass.

Rivermanfan wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:28 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:24 am
Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:12 am
...Then they need to dump Krug and find a LD who can kick some ass.
Chara is still out there...
Think he said he wants to stay on the East Coast.
Well it's under water so St Louis is the new east coast in my book...the book of facts
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:31 am
Rivermanfan wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:28 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:24 am

Chara is still out there...
Think he said he wants to stay on the East Coast.
Well it's under water so St Louis is the new east coast in my book...the book of facts
Vitale recently said Chara is still in play. Despite talks of East coast. He’s all for Chara coming here.