Re: 2020 NHL Draft Thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:00 am
BillP. wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:47 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:44 am Personally, my hope after looking over mocks and draft rankings is for Kaiden Guhle - 6'3 LHD - WHL.

Seems like a good skating physical d-man. I've seen him mocked/ranked anywhere from the teens to 20's so he may have to fall a bit but players always do.
Yeah, I wanted a forward in the first rd but it sounds like there's more choices at D. ............as long as he's damn good, what's the difference. Let's just hope they pick a guy that's got top pair potential.
Agreed. And you can't really draft for "need" but the Blues don't seem to have another Joel Edmundson type on the roster or in the system to my knowledge. Physical d-men is definitely an area of need for them.
Mikkola? The thing that caught me about the JR primer was that the Blues only took 1 first round D under Bill Armstrong (Schmaltz). Maybe they have the notion that in general, you can develop servicable D in the later rounds. Having said that, with no 2nd round pick at the moment, you've really just got to go best player regardless of position.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

The big wildcard in the first round is Russian Goalie Yaroslav Askarov. Disclaimer as always: draft goalies in the first round at your own peril. However given his size, skill and producing at the pro level already, he will surely be the first goalie off the board, and some have even linked him to Detroit at #4 overall. That's probably a bit high, but you never know. Nobody's gone in the top 10 since Price in 2005, but hey, Carter Hart developed quickly, which might quell some fears about goalies drafted high just being a gift for the GM that replaces the GM who drafted him (possibly a bad example if you ask Ron Hextall). The "Russian Factor" doesn't seem to be an issue given that 2 Russian goalies just faced off in the Cup Final, and he's already played pro/seems to be intent on coming to North America.

Supposedly there's no way he slips past Carolina at 13, but he might not get that far. Would Nashville or Minnesota take him at 11 or 9? Should be fun. Perhaps once he's off the board, we see some movement in the goalie market in terms of trade bait (Fleury/Murray etc).

A couple other storylines we haven't touched on yet that they're sure to talk about tonight in terms of prospects:
-Who is the first D drafted. Almost surely going to be either American Jake Sanderson and Canadian Jamie Drysdale. Both are from the modern puck moving mold that can skate like the wind, with really good hockey sense.
-This year's high scoring little guy: Marco Rossi. He's listed at 5'9, and is a good not great skater, but he did just lead the OHL in scoring. Last year's version of this mold was Cole Caufield, who slipped to 15. Rossi will probably go sooner than that, but we'll see.

All right, mother fuckers.....let’s have a great draft! We are going to get Alex Lafreniereierierier at #26. Ok, not the #1 ranked guy.....the other guy with the similar name. But think of the marketing possibilities!

Yes, I’m drunk. Peach Crown Royal......delightful if you haven’t tried it!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:31 pm I learned from that pick that Cory Stillman is coaching at Sudbury.

I still remember when the Blues got him for Craig Conroy. I thought we ripped them off. Boy was I wrong
Stillman had a decent career himself just not so much here. The big thing that hurt us IMO was that we depleted our center depth that time period shipping out Handzus and Conroy. Turgeon had no backup at C after that and Weight never had a good C behind him (Pavol was FAR better on RW). Going up against the likes of Modano/Niewendyk/Arnott Fedorov/Yzerman/Larionov Sakic/Forsberg/Yelle/Drury with what we had at C after losing Conroy and Handzus was a tough road.