Re: NHL Offseason Trades and Signings

BillP. wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:36 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:47 pm
Man, good thing we didn’t end up acquiring him as once rumored.
I still think he's a good player, and his cap hit is only $5M. He's just on the table because Tampa is really up against the cap, even more so than the Blues. He might have been overrated in the public because he was thought to have been the driver of the "triplets" line back in 2015, rather than Kucherov. I think Point came up and took a lot of the premium linemates away from Johnson. Honestly I think he makes a lot of sense for the Blues if there were a way to make the money work for both teams, which I don't think there is. He'd be mighty handy for a team that figures to be missing it's first line RW for a big portion of next season.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:29 am
Donato traded for a third round pick in next year's draft. I never liked him. I don't know if Bill Guerin is doing a good job or not, but I love that he's out there wheeling and dealing.
Man, Minnesota is going to suck. Dumba will be gone for sure. Sounds like he wants to do a complete rebuild. Wonder if the Islanders revisit the Parise deal and if there's any takers for Suter, who's still darn good by the way.

Since I was checking out the asylum, I stole this tidbit from it.

from Larry Brooks of the New York Post,

There has been so much talk about St. Louis right defenseman Alex Pietrangelo, the premier free agent on the market, fleeing to Vegas when the market opens on Friday that I am hearing substantial talk the Blues might be prepared to file tampering charges if that’s the way it shakes out.

You know, Deboer is a defensive guy. He might really be pushing for Petro to get signed there.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:45 pm
Matangama wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:33 pm If Petro went there, but we were able to nail them for tampering, I’d be thrilled.
I don't know, only downside for Vegas would be a fine in all likelihood. I don't think we'd make out with 5 first round picks or anything.
I’m going on the assumption that the compensation would be a 1st round pick, or something like that. A fine doesn’t do anything to compensate the team that was harmed, in this case the Blues.

Big day today! Around midnight Bob McKenzie started tweeting about coverage on TV in US/Canada, and ended up talking about how Tampa might end up trading Tampa. Here's the first of the thread if you'd like to read through.

I love how nobody has a sniff of this stuff, then Bob just puts down his margarita and starts dropping bombs.

BillP. wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:23 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:26 pm Holy hell that's a potentially amazing deal for a team that needs a goalie.

Money is tight, but hell, Fluery isn't totally washed yet, and only has 2 years left on his deal.
For half the cap, it works for me, I'd bring him here. Go for 2!
Just posted this on the draft thread, but I wonder if he gets moved shortly after the Russian goalie Askarov gets drafted. He's supposed to be a stud, and a lot of the teams that might have interest in Fluery might wait to see when he goes given the variability of goalies in the draft.