Re: Congrats Jake Allen

bluetuned wrote:Brent Johnson has the most wins in a season by a Blues goalie in the last 15 years.

(granted that's really less a statement on him than it is on the Blues)
The 2000's were a real tough decade for this team. Congrats to Allen too. He's got a lot of potential.

Good on Jake.

I like Elliott getting the majority of the starts to get ready for playoffs, but getting Allen in and giving him some reps while giving Elliott some rest is good for the team. Doesn't overexpose Jake, and keeps Elliott fresh enough for the playoffs.

After that first shot sort of fluttered out of his glove I thought, oh boy not again Jake... real solid game though. He was very good! He wasn't over aggressive and didn't way over commit on any shots. My first thought after the W was "whew..." He had me very nervous for a while there. All I kept was if Elliott goes down, we have no shot in the playoffs. Hopefully he is figuring out the mental side of it. Physically, he's got plenty. It was a SO though. I am MO ST interested to see if he will continue to fight and bounce back after giving up a goal. Seems when he gives up a bad one, he tends to beat himself up over it and lose focus a bit. Great game tonight and it was relief to see him locked in.

He played really well.

He did have a couple of brainfarts that almost cost the team. I know he likes to play the puck, but he's honestly not that good at it. I think all three of the best scoring chances against him came from him trying to play the puck.

bradleygt89 wrote:8-)

Best part about Jake's game last night was his rebound control and maintaining control of the clock.

Looked really good in net and confident. Glad to see him step back up after the Van game.
He really only had the one rebound that I saw that was way too juicy, and the slo mo replay on that one showed that the shot came off the heel and hit him high and flat, which is almost impossible to control. The only other gaffe I remember was when he kicked the puck off the left post and ran it right through the crease until Petro saved his bacon.

All in all, an excellent start by the kid. It looked like he had done an awful lot of work the last couple of weeks on his short side post coverage. If he can keep that leak plugged and continue to get better controlling his rebounds, the sky is the limit for him.

He also whiffed on a couple of short passes from the crease. One nearly cost the Blues a goal. He was noticeably more confident with subsequent passes, though.

Great effort and a great game for Jake. I was sick and tired of watching the Blues lose to the Stars the past two seasons.