Re: News and Games around the NHL

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:42 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:12 am
NHLTIM wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:27 am

What a freaking player he is.
I really wish Toews was the sketchy scumbag and Kane was the morally upstanding leader. Sure, the Hawks can go to hell anyway, but still.
Kane is fine...took him awhile to grow up, happens to many young players. Our young guys did stupid shit too. Kane really cleaned it up after that last incident a few years ago.
You take that back! Our sweet boys are perfect angels off the ice! Sure one or two of them end up cocaine kingpins, but that's what happens to EVERYBODY once they get to Philly.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:05 am
NHLTIM wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:42 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:12 am
I really wish Toews was the sketchy scumbag and Kane was the morally upstanding leader. Sure, the Hawks can go to hell anyway, but still.
Kane is fine...took him awhile to grow up, happens to many young players. Our young guys did stupid shit too. Kane really cleaned it up after that last incident a few years ago.
You take that back! Our sweet boys are perfect angels off the ice! Sure one or two of them end up cocaine kingpins, but that's what happens to EVERYBODY once they get to Philly.
That's right!!

I don't get the hype for Kane hitting 1,000 points. Is it a milestone? Yes. Is it the big story that they're making it out to be? Absolutely not. That puts him at #4 on the Blackhawks all-time list and #90 in NHL history. Hardly the "stop the presses" moment they're making it out to be. And, yes, I couldn't care less where this ranks him among US Born Players. He still has a long way to go before I consider him to be better than guys like LaFontaine, Modano, or even Brett Hull.

MissouriMook wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:33 am I don't get the hype for Kane hitting 1,000 points. Is it a milestone? Yes. Is it the big story that they're making it out to be? Absolutely not. That puts him at #4 on the Blackhawks all-time list and #90 in NHL history. Hardly the "stop the presses" moment they're making it out to be. And, yes, I couldn't care less where this ranks him among US Born Players. He still has a long way to go before I consider him to be better than guys like LaFontaine, Modano, or even Brett Hull.
Kane is one guy that wouldn't be anywhere near the start status he is today if he played back in the 90's. He's a perimeter guy who stays away from physical play as much as possible. Back then you had to fight for your ice and Kane wouldn't of thrived at all. Would love to see him cross the blue line with Scott Stevens on the other side. He would fold like a tent. Even against the Lightning in the SC Finals, Kane wouldn't go near the goal because of the Lightning's big ass defense. Stayed strictly on the outside in that series and that was in today's game. He's great in today's game but he's one of those guys that couldn't be a star in both eras.

BillP. wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:52 am
MissouriMook wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:33 am I don't get the hype for Kane hitting 1,000 points. Is it a milestone? Yes. Is it the big story that they're making it out to be? Absolutely not. That puts him at #4 on the Blackhawks all-time list and #90 in NHL history. Hardly the "stop the presses" moment they're making it out to be. And, yes, I couldn't care less where this ranks him among US Born Players. He still has a long way to go before I consider him to be better than guys like LaFontaine, Modano, or even Brett Hull.
Kane is one guy that wouldn't be anywhere near the start status he is today if he played back in the 90's. He's a perimeter guy who stays away from physical play as much as possible. Back then you had to fight for your ice and Kane wouldn't of thrived at all. Would love to see him cross the blue line with Scott Stevens on the other side. He would fold like a tent. Even against the Lightning in the SC Finals, Kane wouldn't go near the goal because of the Lightning's big ass defense. Stayed strictly on the outside in that series and that was in today's game. He's great in today's game but he's one of those guys that couldn't be a star in both eras.
Before I get into any of this, let me get it out of the way...fock Kane. Moving on. By the same logic, if he played primarily in the 80s he'd probably have 1,700 points by now because he'd just skate right by 90% of defensemen then easily snipe all the 5'9" goalies with no pads playing stand-up. Comparing era to era is super tricky. Stevens' two (arguably) most famous plays were legally concussing Hall of Famers. The key part of that sentence for my argument is that both of those guys (Lindros/Kariya) made the Hall. Lindros' game isn't a good comp for Kane, but Kariya's is. There have been plenty of guys in every era that didn't like to get hit, but still put up numbers on winning teams. Regardless of era, skill plays, and Kane's got loads of it.

Now excuse me while I go jump into a boiling vat of acid.

I just don’t get all the hate on Kane. Yes he was an uber douche for awhile. You ever see his dad? That guy is a total douchebag....it’s not like the apple fell far from that tree. I think if we knew a lot of the shit going on away from rink...I think we’d be sickened by a lot of NHL players....past and present and plenty that we have rooted for. I don’t care what they do off the ice as long as they don’t kill anybody. Kane is a helluva talent...one of the best players that we’ve ever seen. I truly enjoy watching him play. He’s going down as the greatest American player ever when all is said and done.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

BillP. wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:29 pm I'm just saying Kane wouldn't last if he had to sustain hits, cross checks, and slashes like the stars had to sustain back then. I guarantee he wouldn't last. Not sure if I buy the 80's comparison either, Kane would be on different skates with a wooden stick.
Which is exactly why era vs era comparisons don't work. I don't think Kane is any less sturdy than Gretzky.
BillP. wrote: I'm not saying I hate the guy, I enjoy watching him in today's game. Just saying he's a guy that thrives in today's open ice, no obstruction league.
I'm also saying I hate the guy. Feels good to so strongly disagree with you about something again Bill! :lol:

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:53 pm
BillP. wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:29 pm I'm just saying Kane wouldn't last if he had to sustain hits, cross checks, and slashes like the stars had to sustain back then. I guarantee he wouldn't last. Not sure if I buy the 80's comparison either, Kane would be on different skates with a wooden stick.
Which is exactly why era vs era comparisons don't work. I don't think Kane is any less sturdy than Gretzky.
BillP. wrote: I'm not saying I hate the guy, I enjoy watching him in today's game. Just saying he's a guy that thrives in today's open ice, no obstruction league.
I'm also saying I hate the guy. Feels good to so strongly disagree with you about something again Bill! :lol:
What? Gretzky wasn’t tough? :)