Re: News and Games around the NHL

AHLer gets 30 game ban for racist gesture toward black player on opposing team. For those that don't want to read it, he imitated a monkey toward the player. This was his follow up.

"People should know that I had absolutely no inappropriate intent. The gesture was made in the heat of battle and while I didn't mean anything racist by what I did, I realize now through my own ignorance how my gesture could be interpreted.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/331 ... ahl-player
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:25 pm AHLer gets 30 game ban for racist gesture toward black player on opposing team. For those that don't want to read it, he imitated a monkey toward the player. This was his follow up.

"People should know that I had absolutely no inappropriate intent. The gesture was made in the heat of battle and while I didn't mean anything racist by what I did, I realize now through my own ignorance how my gesture could be interpreted.

T.C. wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:49 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:42 am The NHL has quite literally the worst PR in not only all of sports but maybe in the world, its actually pretty laughable at this point.
what else should public relations say?
Educate and inform? In 2022? Nothing shows concern like empty words and no action, ever.

Hell, the league wouldn't even work with the HDA. They have no interest in removing this behavior from the game.

https://hockeydiversityalliance.org/new ... of-the-nhl

"The Hockey Diversity Alliance is grateful for the support from the public we received. Unfortunately, the support we hoped to receive from the NHL was not delivered and instead the NHL focused on performative public relations efforts that seemed aimed at quickly moving past important conversations about race needed in the game.

We have waited many months for a response to the common sense HDA pledge we proposed, and it is clear that the NHL is not prepared to make any measurable commitments to end systemic racism in hockey.

While we are disappointed, the HDA will operate separate and independent of the NHL and authentically implement necessary education programs and changes to the sport and seek to be role models for the youth in BIPOC communities who want to play hockey."

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:29 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:42 am The NHL has quite literally the worst PR in not only all of sports but maybe in the world, its actually pretty laughable at this point.
Educate and inform? In 2022? Nothing shows concern like empty words and no action, ever.

Hell, the league wouldn't even work with the HDA. They have no interest in removing this behavior from the game.

"The Hockey Diversity Alliance is grateful for the support from the public we received. Unfortunately, the support we hoped to receive from the NHL was not delivered and instead the NHL focused on performative public relations efforts that seemed aimed at quickly moving past important conversations about race needed in the game.

We have waited many months for a response to the common sense HDA pledge we proposed, and it is clear that the NHL is not prepared to make any measurable commitments to end systemic racism in hockey.

While we are disappointed, the HDA will operate separate and independent of the NHL and authentically implement necessary education programs and changes to the sport and seek to be role models for the youth in BIPOC communities who want to play hockey."
sounds like someone doesn't understand the role of public relations. don't shoot the messenger.

in my opinion, if you're going to do that shit on the ice, you're done playing. period. there are plenty of talented people dying for a chance. you are replaceable, especially at that level.

T.C. wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:47 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:29 am

sounds like someone doesn't understand the role of public relations. don't shoot the messenger.

in my opinion, if you're going to do that shit on the ice, you're done playing. period. there are plenty of talented people dying for a chance. you are replaceable, especially at that level.
I know what public relations is... The NHL's is the worst in professional sports easily. Hell, just look at the replies to their message. Not exactly building much trust between themselves and the fanbase, which is their job.

What you said is what they should have said. But they didn't, they are just going to educate players on why doing racist things is bad.

i'm saying PR only issues statements they are told to issue. it's not their job to create league policy and response, only to coordinate media issuance and response when something requires it.

i'll also say that it's completely possible to handle something internally as a league without making it a public issue, allowing the social media mobs to pile on and crucify the offender. of course, i have no idea if the league is doing this. it's not really my job as a fan to be included in those conversations. so IF they are indeed handling this, great. i applaud the lack of very thirsty social bandwagon jumping.

if this public statement is the entirety and extent of their response, they would have been better off saying nothing. a terrible look. not as bad as how the chinese responded to certain athletes, but pretty damn bad.

BluesSK wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:57 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:23 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:52 pm Buffalo goalie Aaron Dell just took out Drake Batherson...looks like it could be an ACL injury.
Absolute bullshit play. Suspend the hell out of him.
Is that suspension worthy?
I’m not sure if it is but someone needs to run him. If goalies want to be protected they can’t be taking cheap shots on players who aren’t allowed to touch them

BluesSK wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:57 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:23 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:52 pm Buffalo goalie Aaron Dell just took out Drake Batherson...looks like it could be an ACL injury.
Absolute bullshit play. Suspend the hell out of him.
Is that suspension worthy?
To me it is. That's an intentional illegal hit on a player that has no reason to expect contact at high speed on the most dangerous part of the ice. A goalie making that hit is a virtual lock to cause injury.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:25 pm AHLer gets 30 game ban for racist gesture toward black player on opposing team. For those that don't want to read it, he imitated a monkey toward the player. This was his follow up.

As much as I love the Subban’s…this appears to have been blown way out of proportion. It does not look like a racial gesture to me.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:20 am

As much as I love the Subban’s…this appears to have been blown way out of proportion. It does not look like a racial gesture to me.
If a person has to look at a play twenty times to maybe see a racial gesture, then I'm not sure it is.