Clown Suits Are Back

Just read where the Clown Suits are being brought back as the Blues alternate Jersey this year!
Has Stillman lost his fucking mind?
Never in a million years would I have dreamed that we would see those damn things again.
FUCK! Nothing like a downer just as the season opener is drawing near.

Re: Clown Suits Are Back

Definitely the worst choice possible but I've never disliked a single Blues style jersey that they've worn. I used to have one of these as a kid.

Reminds me of MacInnis, Pronger, Hull, Fuhr, Courtnall, Turgeon, Gretzky, Elik, Duchesne, Kravchuk, Huddy, Hawerchuk, Casey, Twist, Creighton...
Khymlev... Noonan... Matteau... Wells... Campbell... York... Persson... :oops:

Wow. I don't even know what to say. This jersey has so many good and bad memories. Hull and Gretz together. The best playmaker and the best pure scorer together. The cup was ours. They just had to play at 80% of their potential.

Then the Wings.

Game 7.

99 dangles through center ice. 19 strips. Murray Baron does his best impression of a highway cone / human screen. 19's 90 foot shot is absolutely perfect over the blocker of poor Jon Casey.

That replay, and the Bobby Orr replay, have haunted me for years.

Maybe I will only be healed when the Blues beat the Wings in the Finals while Yzerman is their GM.

Why did they do this? Do they think fans are going to buy this jersey. F No! If I had the money to buy a jersey you can bet your ass I'm buying a Stanley Cup Fucking Champions Jersey. Not a heart break, past demons, years of therapy, hefty drywall repair bill, end of my innocence / youth disaster.

Last item - Fuck Mike Keenan. I hope he has untreatable uncureable herpes.

39hurricane wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:07 am Wow. I don't even know what to say. This jersey has so many good and bad memories. Hull and Gretz together. The best playmaker and the best pure scorer together. The cup was ours. They just had to play at 80% of their potential.

Then the Wings.

Game 7.

99 dangles through center ice. 19 strips. Murray Baron does his best impression of a highway cone / human screen. 19's 90 foot shot is absolutely perfect over the blocker of poor Jon Casey.

Maybe I will only be healed when the Blues beat the Wings in the Finals while Yzerman is their GM.

Why did they do this? Do they think fans are going to buy this jersey. F No! If I had the money to buy a jersey you can bet your ass I'm buying a Stanley Cup Fucking Champions Jersey. Not a heart break, past demons, years of therapy, hefty drywall repair bill, end of my innocence / youth disaster.

I know I’ve probably already ranted about this in the past, but everyone misremembers this play. Gretzky didn’t try to dangle. He didn’t get stripped.

Gretzky was in good defensive position. The Detroit defender fanned on the pass and the puck drifted behind Gretzky, who almost corralled it with one hand, but he couldn’t quite come up with an unexpected loose puck in an awkward spot. It’s happened to everyone who’s ever played. Unfortunately for Gretzky, the puck hit the back of his skate and bounced directly onto the stick of Yzerman, who took a handful of strides and wired a shot top shelf.

It was a bitter and heartbreaking and ironic series of events, but people almost universally blame Gretzky for what was a heads-up play, a bad bounce, and a miraculous shot.

Also, those jerseys are definitely ugly, but, like others have noted, they’re going for the nostalgia angle—and the general rule is that you go back roughly 25 years. Hence, the goofy 90s ones. It’s not a big deal, IMO. (I personally prefer the early 90s Jeff Brown-style Jersey).

Rant over.

tl;dr—Gretzky didn’t turn that puck over. The new jerseys are ugly, but aren’t that big of a deal.

All of the bellyaching about these jerseys from some fans makes me wonder....what fucking team were they watching all of these years...what era jersey would meet their approval? I think it is another case of modern people needing to complain about shit to feel validated in digital culture.

CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:00 am All of the bellyaching about these jerseys from some fans makes me wonder....what fucking team were they watching all of these years...what era jersey would meet their approval? I think it is another case of modern people needing to complain about shit to feel validated in digital culture.
Or maybe some fans have been around long enough to have seen every jersey kit they’ve ever played in and hated these with a fiery passion when they wore them the first time and realize that there were so many better options to choose from. Do you think it is coincidence how short a period of time they were around and how much smoldering hate they still evoke all these years later?

Maybe you’re just a case of a modern person needing to complain every time someone has a problem with something you like.

I was actually hoping for a jersey to commemorate the Stanley Cup win. Something lined in silver or something.
That being said, it will be cool to see these in action for a few games again. I always loved the crazy 90s jerseys.
Also, check out the promo video the Blues put out. Ken Wilson!! Oh Baby!! What are the odds that he gets in the booth for these 3 games?

KA-KAW!

If the Blues had won a Cup in those jerseys, they'd be everyone's favorites :) I think there was just so much heartache with the team at that time as they never met the expectations, and as others have pointed out, it is a strong reminder of the 'good and bad times/players/management/coaches' from that era. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, I like the design for it's nostalgic reference, but understand the 'hate' too, either from a dislike of the design of the triggered memories. All good, kumbaya all :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

MissouriMook wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:31 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:00 am All of the bellyaching about these jerseys from some fans makes me wonder....what fucking team were they watching all of these years...what era jersey would meet their approval? I think it is another case of modern people needing to complain about shit to feel validated in digital culture.
Or maybe some fans have been around long enough to have seen every jersey kit they’ve ever played in and hated these with a fiery passion when they wore them the first time and realize that there were so many better options to choose from. Do you think it is coincidence how short a period of time they were around and how much smoldering hate they still evoke all these years later?

Maybe you’re just a case of a modern person needing to complain every time someone has a problem with something you like.
Did you just "Big Shot" how many jersey "kits" you have? First, son, "kit" is what they call it in soccer. If you want to act like a big hockey fan maybe throw a few "aye's" in there, you hoser. Call me when you are done virtue signaling about your sweater collection. If you look at the history of Blues jerseys the mid 90's are the only ones that stand out as significantly different than any other design, so you should be shaming the Blues and their "old" fans for having such a boring history.
Attachments

Scruffy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:40 am
39hurricane wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:07 am Wow. I don't even know what to say. This jersey has so many good and bad memories. Hull and Gretz together. The best playmaker and the best pure scorer together. The cup was ours. They just had to play at 80% of their potential.

Then the Wings.

Game 7.

I know I’ve probably already ranted about this in the past, but everyone misremembers this play. Gretzky didn’t try to dangle. He didn’t get stripped.

Gretzky was in good defensive position. The Detroit defender fanned on the pass and the puck drifted behind Gretzky, who almost corralled it with one hand, but he couldn’t quite come up with an unexpected loose puck in an awkward spot. It’s happened to everyone who’s ever played. Unfortunately for Gretzky, the puck hit the back of his skate and bounced directly onto the stick of Yzerman, who took a handful of strides and wired a shot top shelf.

It was a bitter and heartbreaking and ironic series of events, but people almost universally blame Gretzky for what was a heads-up play, a bad bounce, and a miraculous shot.

Also, those jerseys are definitely ugly, but, like others have noted, they’re going for the nostalgia angle—and the general rule is that you go back roughly 25 years. Hence, the goofy 90s ones. It’s not a big deal, IMO. (I personally prefer the early 90s Jeff Brown-style Jersey).

Rant over.

tl;dr—Gretzky didn’t turn that puck over. The new jerseys are ugly, but aren’t that big of a deal.
Thank you Scruffy. I've been on that same bandwagon for a long time, but have stopped banging my head against that particular wall...for the most part. Everyone's memory is betrayed by Gary Thorn's play-by-play including "Gretzky...had it, lost it" and then the bad thing happened.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:19 am If the Blues had won a Cup in those jerseys, they'd be everyone's favorites :) I think there was just so much heartache with the team at that time as they never met the expectations, and as others have pointed out, it is a strong reminder of the 'good and bad times/players/management/coaches' from that era. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, I like the design for it's nostalgic reference, but understand the 'hate' too, either from a dislike of the design of the triggered memories. All good, kumbaya all :)
no. the only acceptable answer to "how much red should be on a STL Blues jersey" is "none".

T.C. wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:57 am
bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:19 am If the Blues had won a Cup in those jerseys, they'd be everyone's favorites :) I think there was just so much heartache with the team at that time as they never met the expectations, and as others have pointed out, it is a strong reminder of the 'good and bad times/players/management/coaches' from that era. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, I like the design for it's nostalgic reference, but understand the 'hate' too, either from a dislike of the design of the triggered memories. All good, kumbaya all :)
no. the only acceptable answer to "how much red should be on a STL Blues jersey" is "none".
No hockey jersey is complete with out a little blood on it.
Just a Russian propaganda account

The promo video with Ken Wilson was so good! It felt like it was filmed in my basement - I've still got crappy wood paneling and the Inaugural Game (that never happened) poster on the wall:
The clown jerseys still suck though. It's the only jersey I ever got rid of. I had a white one and sold it to a friend about 20 years ago. Don't miss it.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:57 am
T.C. wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:57 am
No hockey jersey is complete with out a little blood on it.
red-colored fabric fresh from the lockerroom, i meant. otherwise, yes - the correct answer should be "all".