Re: Binnington signs for two years

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:31 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:25 pm I have consistently not been a fan of contracts that don't buy out UFA years, so not a huge fan of this contract
I am surprised and disappointed in it as well.
Also, if Husso doesn't end up being NHL-caliber, we could very well end up in a situation where we have no goalies on the roster, as Binnington and Allen are UFA at the same time.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:34 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:31 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:25 pm I have consistently not been a fan of contracts that don't buy out UFA years, so not a huge fan of this contract
I am surprised and disappointed in it as well.
Also, if Husso doesn't end up being NHL-caliber, we could very well end up in a situation where we have no goalies on the roster, as Binnington and Allen are UFA at the same time.
I think tying it to Allen’s contract timeframe is what makes this one a little different. Assuming Binninngton ends up being legit and keeps at close to his level last year, then Army can extend him with Allen’s money as that comes off the books.

So he probably got him slightly cheaper the next two years, and then has goalie money available when an extension is needed.

I also think in general, Players will start forcing teams into signing them just to get to UFA. Similar to what matthews did in toronto.

barcthespark wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:44 pm Perfect contract. If Binnington proves this season was not a fluke Army will sign him to an extension before he hits free agency. If this season's performance was a fluke, we won't be hamstrung with a longer contract like Allen's.
I agree. Like Keenan was with Richter, he told him to go ahead and hold us up. If Binnington plays lights out and earns a big pay day, that means nothing but good things for this franchise and maybe another Cup. Give Binnington the motivation to take his career to great heights.

barcthespark wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:44 pm Perfect contract. If Binnington proves this season was not a fluke Army will sign him to an extension before he hits free agency. If this season's performance was a fluke, we won't be hamstrung with a longer contract like Allen's.
Alternative viewpoint. If he proves it was no fluke, he’ll be a season away from a complete free agency free-for-all bidding war and will be in no rush to sign.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:05 pm
Alternative viewpoint. If he proves it was no fluke, he’ll be a season away from a complete free agency free-for-all bidding war and will be in no rush to sign.
Maybe, or maybe he’ll be loyal to the Blues. If good times continue, I feel he will.

BillP. wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:09 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:05 pm
Maybe, or maybe he’ll be loyal to the Blues. If good times continue, I feel he will.
I mean the Blues did put him on waivers so he certainly doesn’t owe them any specific loyalty. Nor should we expect it. We can only hope for it at this point.

My favorite part of this deal is that they got it done. Keep the drama low, get the boys signed and move on.

Like many, I've worried about Army but he does have us in a good place and we have our Cup. I just read an article on the 10 worst NHL contracts and was thrilled that we have none of them! What a great summer this has been for old Blues fans like me!!!!

Like DPW and others I figured a two year deal would be about the worst deal you could get, but I do see what others are saying in that if he proves himself again this season, you could extend him next summer.

And as John said, good to have it out of the way so we can focus on next season. Of the couple remaining for arbitration, I'd think only JEd is going to be a possible issue and may go to hearing. I think SunnyD gets a deal done this week too.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

I’ve slept on this and I like this deal even less now. I don’t understand the “we need to see he wasn’t a fluke” logic. If that’s the case you give him a one year deal and still have RFA rights to him. Two years just makes no sense to me the more I think about it. Maybe it’s because I don’t see Binnington as being a fluke (I mean, how many SC winning goalies have been flukes? Niemi?) and I was totally comfortable if Army was going to give him $5.2 over 4 years. I just don’t get how you end up at a contract with Binnington that is both more than a “prove it” deal (as that would have been 1 year) and also less than a “we see you as our long term starter” deal (as that would’ve bought out UFA years).

Who knows. Maybe Binnington only wanted a two year deal. Just not a huge fan of this contract.

IMO the two year deal was a comfortable compromise for both sides. Liut is known for avoiding bridge contracts by getting long term deals for young players (Tarasenko, Scheifele, Draisaitl, Guentzel). Army is probably gun shy on giving a goalie with only a half season of experience to a long term deal. I'm thinking Liut said if we don't get long term, then we want the option for UFA in two years, while Armstrong was willing to take the chance because he already has a good working relationship with Liut and knows he'll be able to get a long term deal done before Binnington hits UFA status if his play has warranted it.

I could be completely wrong, but I'm still in ultra happy mode because - STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES! :mrgreen:

I also think had he not learned his lesson by Allen's contract, Army probably would've gone long term with Binnington.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/ag ... ar-BBOXdOK

Worst case scenarios: 1. Binnington is a total flop and we have two years at 4.4M tied up in a goalie who was a one save wonder. 2, Binnington is amazing and leads the Blues to two more Cups and then leaves for big money as a UFA in 21/22 season, and goes to a Central Division rival for an 8 year deal and wins 8 cups in a row with them.

Both pretty unrealistic, but honestly, if Binnington leaves us as an UFA in 21/22 to make a boat load of $$$ due to continued amazing performance...I'll take 2.5 years of great goaltending over another decade of mediocre and spazmatic goaltending as we have always had for the duration of my time as a true fan of the Blues.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:56 am Worst case scenarios: 1. Binnington is a total flop and we have two years at 4.4M tied up in a goalie who was a one save wonder. 2, Binnington is amazing and leads the Blues to two more Cups and then leaves for big money as a UFA in 21/22 season, and goes to a Central Division rival for an 8 year deal and wins 8 cups in a row with them.

Both pretty unrealistic, but honestly, if Binnington leaves us as an UFA in 21/22 to make a boat load of $$$ due to continued amazing performance...I'll take 2.5 years of great goaltending over another decade of mediocre and spazmatic goaltending as we have always had for the duration of my time as a true fan of the Blues.
:D I'm not sure, "wins two more cups" can be in worst case scenario. But yes, the worst case is he proves it wasn't a fluke, like many of us believe, and then leaves for big free agent money in two years and the Blues are left again searching.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:33 am I’ve slept on this and I like this deal even less now. I don’t understand the “we need to see he wasn’t a fluke” logic. If that’s the case you give him a one year deal and still have RFA rights to him. Two years just makes no sense to me the more I think about it. Maybe it’s because I don’t see Binnington as being a fluke (I mean, how many SC winning goalies have been flukes? Niemi?) and I was totally comfortable if Army was going to give him $5.2 over 4 years. I just don’t get how you end up at a contract with Binnington that is both more than a “prove it” deal (as that would have been 1 year) and also less than a “we see you as our long term starter” deal (as that would’ve bought out UFA years).

Who knows. Maybe Binnington only wanted a two year deal. Just not a huge fan of this contract.
Couldn't agree more and that is the point I was also making.

I'm not mad that the Blues re-signed JB50 obviously, but the contract is 100% a player contract and offers really no benefit for the team itself.

If he still needs to prove it, then you simply go to arb with him because he was already under team control for two more seasons. Now you still have him under team control for two more years, but at a higher aav than he would've gotten through arb.

The Blues are left with slightly more than 7 million left and are now handcuffed cap wise. That money somehow needs to be spread apart Husso, Barbs, SunnyD, and Eddy. I've seen it estimated that Barbs, Sunny, and Eddy will get that between just the three of them. And obviously, you're out on Maroon too. Every bit of money saved would've helped. Edmundson and Maroon are likely the casualty.

TL;DR you've now given him more money and gained no extra control for it. Props to Mike Luit on the finesse job. Gosh it feels good to be complaining again. :lol:

Keep in mind, that Binnington pretty much had the leverage here. Why should he give up UFA years on this contract, when he has a chance to win big in two years? He's gambling that his performance will continue to be outstanding, and take him to the bank, big time.

If, and I don't believe it will happen, Binny becomes the second coming of Allen, Army will be hailed for being a genius for agreeing to a two year contract. :) :)