Re: Who is the best goalie in franchise history?

UMSLBlues12 wrote:For some reason I've been watching this terrible debate on Facebook today where people are arguing that Brian Elliott is the best goalie in franchise history. Being a younger fan I've never seen Liut or anyone from before play, so I ask...who is the best goalie in franchise history and why?
Odd's are good with the facebook crowd, a lot of them probably don't even know who Mike Liut is. It's kind of the same with say my age group saying Liut but I'm sure there are others here, Barnburner being one that might say Plante or Hall was the best goalie. Stuff like this is hard to measure....it will be more than likely based on your generation. I'd say who ever wins the Blues their first Stanley Cup will be able to claim that title though, so Elliott definitely has that working in his favor.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:For some reason I've been watching this terrible debate on Facebook today where people are arguing that Brian Elliott is the best goalie in franchise history. Being a younger fan I've never seen Liut or anyone from before play, so I ask...who is the best goalie in franchise history and why?
Odd's are good with the facebook crowd, a lot of them probably don't even know who Mike Liut is. It's kind of the same with say my age group saying Liut but I'm sure there are others here, Barnburner being one that might say Plante or Hall was the best goalie. Stuff like this is hard to measure....it will be more than likely based on your generation. I'd say who ever wins the Blues their first Stanley Cup will be able to claim that title though, so Elliott definitely has that working in his favor.
Yeah, someone mentioned something about Liut's career GAA being in the 3's when someone brought him up....then someone pointed out that he was 2nd in Hart voting with a GAA of 3.34 one year. I think its probably the hardest position to compare across generations.

I like Elliott but I also think giving the title to him (regardless if the person has seen Liut play or not) is a bit premature being he's only been the Blues starter for one year.

One thing I'll say for Fuhr. I was always surprised when he gave up a goal. I just had confidence that he was going to stop every puck, no matter how much pressure at the time. All goalies talk about forgetting the last goal, but Fuhr did it. He might give up 5, and then make the big save to preserve the win. He never got rattled. Without a doubt one of the greatest money netminders of all time

If you mean, "Who was The Blues' best goalie in a Blues' career (6 full seasons or more)?", I guess I'd say Mike Liut. If you ask "Who was The Blues' goalie who was best at his very best in a given season, I'd say Jacques Plante, during the 1968-69 season. If you say who played steadily at the highest level over his entire Blues' career, I'd say, Glenn Hall. These are all normalised for relative abilities of The Blues' team defence vs. their competition, and relative possession time of Blues vs. their opponents, and League mean goal scoring per game, etc.).

Here are my ratings of The Blues' best goaltenders:

(1/2) Plante/Hall (Plante best when hot, Hall steadier high-quality)
(3 Liut
(4) Fuhr (first Blues year)
(5) Joseph
(6/7/8) Millen/Elliott/Wakely/Walmsley (averaging out about the same)

I'm probably forgetting a few who might fit between Joseph and the "pack" of slightly better than average goalies

Robb_K wrote:If you mean, "Who was The Blues' best goalie in a Blues' career (6 full seasons or more)?", I guess I'd say Mike Liut. If you ask "Who was The Blues' goalie who was best at his very best in a given season, I'd say Jacques Plante, during the 1968-69 season. If you say who played steadily at the highest level over his entire Blues' career, I'd say, Glenn Hall. These are all normalised for relative abilities of The Blues' team defence vs. their competition, and relative possession time of Blues vs. their opponents, and League mean goal scoring per game, etc.).

(3 Liut
(5) Joseph
(6/7/8) Millen/Elliott/Wakely/Walmsley (averaging out about the same)

I'm probably forgetting a few who might fit between Joseph and the "pack" of slightly better than average goalies
Sounds like a very good summation to me.

If you mean, "Who was The Blues' best goalie in a Blues' career (6 full seasons or more)?", I guess I'd say Mike Liut. If you ask "Who was The Blues' goalie who was best at his very best in a given season, I'd say Jacques Plante, during the 1968-69 season. If you say who played steadily at the highest level over his entire Blues' career, I'd say, Glenn Hall. These are all normalised for relative abilities of The Blues' team defence vs. their competition, and relative possession time of Blues vs. their opponents, and League mean goal scoring per game, etc.).

(3 Liut
(5) Joseph
(6/7/8/9/10) Martin/Millen/Elliott/Wakely/Walmsley (averaging out about the same(slightly above average NHL goalies))
(11/12/13/14)Caron/Johnston/Staniowski/Turek (average NHL goalies)

updated

Robb_K wrote:If you mean, "Who was The Blues' best goalie in a Blues' career (6 full seasons or more)?", I guess I'd say Mike Liut. If you ask "Who was The Blues' goalie who was best at his very best in a given season, I'd say Jacques Plante, during the 1968-69 season. If you say who played steadily at the highest level over his entire Blues' career, I'd say, Glenn Hall. These are all normalised for relative abilities of The Blues' team defence vs. their competition, and relative possession time of Blues vs. their opponents, and League mean goal scoring per game, etc.).

(3 Liut
(5) Joseph
(6/7/8/9/10) Martin/Millen/Elliott/Wakely/Walmsley (averaging out about the same(slightly above average NHL goalies))
(11/12/13/14)Caron/Johnston/Staniowski/Turek (average NHL goalies)
I like Robb's picks, but I'd switch Elliott with Joseph on that list. Joseph wasn't as mentally tough as Elliott, in the respect that when any contact with him at all, affected his game. As other teams figured that out, you saw more and more "incidental contact" with Joseph in net.
updated

rocketpop wrote:I guess it depends on what you mean by best.

For their time? Probably the guys I never got to see, like Lieut, Plante, Hall.

However, anytime I watch old footage I'm reminded of how goalies today are much more technically proficient and athletic than they were 60's, 70's and 80's.
True, but I have to believe if today's goalies had played in the 60s, they would look just like the old guys do now.
Hall's style was very athletic for his time. Lots of side to side scrambles, etc

Being a younger-ish blues fan not having seen the Plante, Hall or Liut's play I would almost definitely have to agree with this just going off numbers and stories I've heard. To have a gaa in the 3's in an era where the offense had so much room to shoot on goalies who mostly stood and made all the save's is saying something. My list is about identical to Robb's even though I'm just going off hearsay for the first 3. Best goalies I've seen as a blues fan are
1. Fuhr
2.Fuhr
3.Cujo
4.Elliott
5.Halak
6.Hebert (can't remember why I thought he was so good because this was around the time I started to actually learn the game but I just remember a few saves that made me think he was outstanding. Didn't he also win a cup in Anaheim?)