Re: 2019 Offseason signings, trades, news thread

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-network-to ... =290583266

Top 20 d-men. LIst order is kinda fucked up. No way is Petro as low as 11 going into this year, and Moran Reilly? Seriously?

Once again, my list:

1- Hedman
2- Giordano
3- Burns
4- Pietrangelo
5- Karlsson
6- Doughty
7- Jones
8- Josi
9- Letang
10- Carlson
11- Parayko
12- Klingberg
13- Subban
14- Suter
15- Werenski
16- Heiskanen
17- Reilly
18- Ekman-Larsson
19- Byfuglien
20- Slavin

Though I put more stock in actual defensive play than just putting up points.

ratonmono wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:08 pm https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-network-to ... =290583266

Top 20 d-men. LIst order is kinda fucked up. No way is Petro as low as 11 going into this year, and Moran Reilly? Seriously?

Once again, my list:

1- Hedman
2- Giordano
3- Burns
4- Pietrangelo
5- Karlsson
6- Doughty
7- Jones
8- Josi
9- Letang
10- Carlson
11- Parayko
12- Klingberg
13- Subban
14- Suter
15- Werenski
16- Heiskanen
17- Reilly
18- Ekman-Larsson
19- Byfuglien
20- Slavin

You really do have to be proud of Petro’s performance in the playoffs. 19 points, got better each rd., scored big goal in Gm 7 Final. You’re right, for this years opening list, he deserves to be top 5.

BillP. wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:06 am
ratonmono wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:08 pm https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-network-to ... =290583266

Once again, my list:

1- Hedman
2- Giordano
3- Burns
4- Pietrangelo
5- Karlsson
6- Doughty
7- Jones
8- Josi
9- Letang
10- Carlson
11- Parayko
12- Klingberg
13- Subban
14- Suter
15- Werenski
16- Heiskanen
17- Reilly
18- Ekman-Larsson
19- Byfuglien
20- Slavin

You really do have to be proud of Petro’s performance in the playoffs. 19 points, got better each rd., scored big goal in Gm 7 Final. You’re right, for this years opening list, he deserves to be top 5.
Remember the days of the Petro thread that was like 100 pages long?
KA-KAW!

BluesSK wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:39 pm We panic a bit at Barbashev not signing but fans of the other teams with top RFAs must be ready to jump off bridges.
Yeah for sure. It's a bit unprecedented that there are so many standout RFAs without contracts, but we've seen our own talented RFAs take this long to sign their second contracts. Schwartz didn't sign his second contract until October 5th (though his was a 2 year bridge), and Petro signed his second deal (which is his current contract) in mid-September. While Petro is closer, neither of them were at the same level as Marner/Point/Rantanen etc.

The situation is different in terms of the volume of kickass RFAs, and the lack of bridge deals, but I don't think the timing should be all that alarming. It's just boring for fans right now, haha.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:53 am

I remember when I thought he could be a 20 goal guy one day.
Hell I remember wondering if the only reason he got traded last year was because Wilson decapitated Sunny D in that preseason game, meaning he'd be hurt at the beginning of the year so they couldn't trade him instead. At the time I considered those two to basically be the same player. That take has aged rather poorly over the last 12 months.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:19 am

Hell I remember wondering if the only reason he got traded last year was because Wilson decapitated Sunny D in that preseason game, meaning he'd be hurt at the beginning of the year so they couldn't trade him instead. At the time I considered those two to basically be the same player. That take has aged rather poorly over the last 12 months.
Just like a lot of kids, though... who knows how he'd have turned out with Chief as his HC instead if Hitch/Yeo.

Hahahaha, I had a similar conspiracy theory! Except I believe he was waived, not traded

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:30 am

Hahahaha, I had a similar conspiracy theory! Except I believe he was waived, not traded
Yeah. We had pretty much pegged those two as the bubble guys to be waived and if not for the injury it could easily have been Sunny D getting waived.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:32 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:51 am Sunny has become what he all thought Jaskin would be.
...like I was sayin'
Apologies if the comparison was already made. If I'm behind on a thread I tend to just glance at the current talking point and gloss over responses here and there.

If you said the same, you're as smart as I already knew you were.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:30 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:51 am Sunny has become what he all thought Jaskin would be.
...like I was sayin'
Apologies if the comparison was already made. If I'm behind on a thread I tend to just glance at the current talking point and gloss over responses here and there.

I'm just sayin' that Sunny turned into a player after Chief took over, and he didn't have to worry about being punished for every mistake... Jaskin had the tools to be a player, but wasn't allowed to make the same mistakes without being punished, that some others were.

That top 20 D list looks fine to me... for one simple reason

-and its the same reason Berube didnt get CoTY and Binner didnt get RoTY and Army didn't get GMoTY....

They look at season stats, the whole season, not just the last 26 games when a player shined (and not all competition were playing). I had to ask myself "who tf is Morgan Reilly" and saw his stats and said "ok...deserved".

Is Petro a better defensive dman that Reilly? Idk. That team had a better record in the season, has better offensive firepower thats for sure...

TL;DR There's many factors that go into a "Top 20" list and if it included playoff performances, the Blues would have NEVER had a top 20 player in their existence until...well... now.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:20 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:30 pm

...like I was sayin'

I'm just sayin' that Sunny turned into a player after Chief took over, and he didn't have to worry about being punished for every mistake... Jaskin had the tools to be a player, but wasn't allowed to make the same mistakes without being punished, that some others were.
That’s funny, me and MattyIce were talking about that earlier today at work. That if Berube had Jaskin he might of gotten more out of him. If anything I think Jaskin would of been an even heavier player under Berube and Ott.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:47 pm If any of you have wondered what former Blue Bill Guerin has been doing since he retired in 2010, he apparently left the rink after his retirement press conference, spent the entirety of the next 9 years baking in the desert sun until he was named GM of the Wild today.

He should fire their social media team for using that photo of him
Just a Russian propaganda account

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:55 pm

Wow, only $900k...
Yeah, Blues can’t even give him a pay cut at 1M to stay? Hey, thanks for the double OT goal Pat, it’s been nice.

Hey, Southside Tony gave us all the inside tip a few weeks ago that Tampa was a new entry. But after all this time I’m surprised Blues aren’t retaining him. Troy Brouwer? That would be an upgrade and you could probably get him for 900K too. Played great last year and still shelled out 177 hits.