Re: 2019 Offseason signings, trades, news thread

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:48 pm
BluesSK wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:16 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:27 am

What an absolute joke of a franchise.
I like the drama and I kind of like the deal from a business perspective.

Melnyk is this century's Bill Wirtz.
Its true, the entertainment value to non-Senators fans is through the roof.
What's worse... a couple dozen hockey players saying "fuck" after they just won the Stanley Cup....or an entire fan base screaming "fuck" because of the daily operations of their favorite team???

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:26 pm
usmcaaron wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:55 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:27 am

What an absolute joke of a franchise.
Here's why that came up today...

Why do teams keep helping out the Tampas & the Chicagos, etc.? They've boxed themselves in w/ contracts, & teams like Arizona & Ottawa can't wait to help them out by taking on their dead $ for minimal return.

Its just like how Vegas exploited the expansion draft, except at least then there were risks for the other teams if they didn't play along (losing key players).
The kicker is the difference between a 5th and 6th round pick is basically nothing statistically. Purely a way to get to the floor for minimal actual money. Guys like Tkachuk and Chabot must be telling their agents to make sure they don't have to stay one day beyond when their RFA rights expire.
One more incredible aspect of the Ottawa Senators pay structure....

It's insane that there can be such a disparity in actual $ paid out between 2 professional franchises in a salary cap league.

usmcaaron wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:27 pm
usmcaaron wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:55 am

Here's why that came up today...

Why do teams keep helping out the Tampas & the Chicagos, etc.? They've boxed themselves in w/ contracts, & teams like Arizona & Ottawa can't wait to help them out by taking on their dead $ for minimal return.

Its just like how Vegas exploited the expansion draft, except at least then there were risks for the other teams if they didn't play along (losing key players).
The kicker is the difference between a 5th and 6th round pick is basically nothing statistically. Purely a way to get to the floor for minimal actual money. Guys like Tkachuk and Chabot must be telling their agents to make sure they don't have to stay one day beyond when their RFA rights expire.

It's insane that there can be such a disparity in actual $ paid out between 2 professional franchises in a salary cap league.
what's even more insane is I wouldn't be surprised if the Sens finish higher than the Leafs this season :o
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:26 pm

what's even more insane is I wouldn't be surprised if the Sens finish higher than the Leafs this season :o
Somebody go check on Brad, he's officially lost his mind.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:07 pm

I'd put money on it, but last time I did that, someone didn't pay up...

Seriously, with the craziness we see in the NHL, would you really be THAT surprised if the Leafs fold up like the over-inflated egos they are (I don't think that Andersen is that great of a goalie), and the Sens somehow overachieve? Not saying Ottawa is a contender, but we've seen crazier shit than a bottom five team finishing higher than the previous season's top 10 team.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

BillP. wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:53 pm Shattenkirk must be devastated. That was his dream to be a Ranger and he passed up way bigger deals to go there. Ouch
Serves him F'ing right. The Blues worked out fat deals with Edmonton and Tampa and he turned them both down. You want to be a Ranger or you want to have a legit shot at the cup. Shatty would have a had a real chance the last two years with Tampa.

Oh well. I'm sure he will get a nice contract from somebody.

39hurricane wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:51 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:48 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:03 pm If this is the case, wow.

Offer him a PTO, Army!
nope
Why not? He may surprise everyone like JayBo did when he finally got healthy... a PTO doesn’t really set the franchise back financially, and the power play has sucked balls since he left. Worth a look IMO, that’s all.

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:51 pm

Seriously, with the craziness we see in the NHL, would you really be THAT surprised if the Leafs fold up like the over-inflated egos they are (I don't think that Andersen is that great of a goalie), and the Sens somehow overachieve? Not saying Ottawa is a contender, but we've seen crazier shit than a bottom five team finishing higher than the previous season's top 10 team.
Yes. I'll be surprised if Ottawa is within 15 points of Toronto.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I wouldn't be surprised at all. Toronto doesn't impress me.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:50 pm

You got to admit though, Tavares, Matthews and Marner might be the best top 3 core a team can boast in the NHL.

39hurricane wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:24 pmSo how long till Ottawa moves? Weren't they begging for a new arena just a little while ago.
Eugene Melnyk & his mismatched biz partner had a falling out late last year, and their LeBreton Flats project collapsed. In March of this year, Melnyk was still publicly committed to finding a new arena location & another partner with big money. Looks now like he'll stick where he is & penny-pinch the Sens into permanent Bottom 10 hell.

BillP. wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:17 pm
BluesSK wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:50 pm

You got to admit though, Tavares, Matthews and Marner might be the best top 3 core a team can boast in the NHL.
They're impressive but their defense is just not good enough, and depth wise they seem a bit soft and blah overall. One of those three could be better spent on a true #1 D man, especially with Babcock as their coach. You know it absolutely drives him nuts that he doesn't have a 30 minute a night stud to throw out there. I think the Leafs just aren't that well of a built team. Trading Kadri was a mistake too. Should have been Nylander.