25 Greatest Blues?

What the hell kind of stupid article was that in the PD this morning?

Instead of reading someones opinion of who were the 25 greatest Blues players, it turned out to be a list of the 25 best players who just happened to wear the Note at some point in their career. Guys like Housley, Stevens, Dickie Moore, Jacque Plante, etc.

World class dumb fucking article.

Re: 25 Greatest Blues?

Haven't seen that list, but similar ones. Gretzky is arguably the greatest player ever, but he's an Oiler not a Blues or Ranger...maybe a King too (just for what he did in that market, and he was there a few seasons).

Point being to be on a teams greatest list, imho, you need at least three highly productive seasons and contributed significantly to the teams success while there.

Hull
Pronger
Al Mac
Demitra
Tarasenko
Petro
Elliott
Liut
Federko
Sutter
Oates
Brown
Gilmour
Furh
Etc.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Didn't read it, don't pay them a dime, ever.

Blues year one I was a high school junior. Ron Schock's 2-OT goal and the after party in the Arena Club were a few hours before my first try at the SAT's. Needless to say I had to take them again.

Dickie Moore scored late in the third to send the game into OT. Dickie's knees were so bad that he could not practice. His HOF cred was established in Montreal but he had quit because of his knees. Scotty and Dickie had a connection from Montreal and he was persuaded to come to StL and give it a shot. Based on his time with the Blues, not unlike Wayne Gretzky's short time, he probably does not belong on top 25 list. But I'll never forget Dickie Moore from that original Blues team. All heart and scored some huge goals when a goal was most needed.

barnburner wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:38 pm What the hell kind of stupid article was that in the PD this morning?

Instead of reading someones opinion of who were the 25 greatest Blues players, it turned out to be a list of the 25 best players who just happened to wear the Note at some point in their career. Guys like Housley, Stevens, Dickie Moore, Jacque Plante, etc.

I didn’t look at it because I assumed it was Jeff Gordon’s list that they rehash once in a while. Was Paul Kariya number 25? That one I remember and I told Gordo in his chat how the heck can you put Kariya in there over Unger who wasn’t even on the list.

BillP. wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:41 am
barnburner wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:38 pm What the hell kind of stupid article was that in the PD this morning?

I didn’t look at it because I assumed it was Jeff Gordon’s list that they rehash once in a while. Was Paul Kariya number 25? That one I remember and I told Gordo in his chat how the heck can you put Kariya in there over Unger who wasn’t even on the list.
Yeah, Kariya was 25. Hall of Famer Bernie Federko was 18. Glen Anderson, who pretty much did nothing for the Blues, waschigh on the list. I guess Gordo was desperate for something to write that day. Really stupid.

Hull
Pronger
MacInnis
Demitra
Tarasenko
Pietrangelo
Stevens
Unger
Shanahan
Liut
Turgeon
Federko
Sutter
Oates
Berenson
Schwartz or Mullen
Gilmour
Tkachuk
Hall
Plante
Barc Plager
Bob Plager
Joseph
O'Reilly
Petterson

Based on quality of their play in a Blues' uniform, not on time with the team or team success with them.

Robb_K wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:08 am Hull
Pronger
MacInnis
Demitra
Tarasenko
Pietrangelo
Stevens
Unger
Shanahan
Liut
Turgeon
Federko
Sutter
Oates
Berenson
Schwartz or Mullen
Gilmour
Tkachuk
Hall
Plante
Barc Plager
Bob Plager
Joseph
O'Reilly
Petterson

Based on quality of their play in a Blues' uniform, not on time with the team or team success with them.
Very good list.

Other candidates that could belong or maybe the list should just be longer:

David Backes
TJ Oshie
Mark Hunter
Jeff Brown
Steve Duchesne
Perry Turnbull
Rob Ramage
Scott Young
Grant Fuhr
Geoff Courtnall
Alex Steen
Kevin Shattenkirk
Jay Bouwmeester

Yes. It was hard to keep Ramage off the list. At his best, he'd probably replace Schwartz, Joseph or Petterson, who were all very good, but perhaps not quite edging into the excellent level. Best 26 or 27 of all time would be more fair than a Best 25. Fuhr, too, when healthy with The Blues, was at a pretty high level.

Robb_K wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:25 pm Yes. It was hard to keep Ramage off the list. At his best, he'd probably replace Schwartz, Joseph or Petterson, who were all very good, but perhaps not quite edging into the excellent level. Best 26 or 27 of all time would be more fair than a Best 25. Fuhr, too, when healthy with The Blues, was at a pretty high level.
Yeah, during his time here, before the injury, Fuhr was close to the level of Glenn Hall. Fuhr had the perfect mindset for a goalie. His attitude was " Ok, I gave up three goals, now watch me make the game winning save.".
Binnington seems to have some Fuhr in him.

Pronger
MacInnis
Demitra
Tarasenko
Pietrangelo
Stevens
Unger
Shanahan
Liut
Turgeon
Federko
Sutter
Oates
Berenson
Schwartz or Mullen
Gilmour
Tkachuk
Hall
Plante
Barc Plager
Bob Plager
Joseph
O'Reilly
Petterson

Hard to argue with that list.

johnc1102 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:21 pm Didn't read it, don't pay them a dime, ever.

Blues year one I was a high school junior. Ron Schock's 2-OT goal and the after party in the Arena Club were a few hours before my first try at the SAT's. Needless to say I had to take them again.

Dickie Moore scored late in the third to send the game into OT. Dickie's knees were so bad that he could not practice. His HOF cred was established in Montreal but he had quit because of his knees. Scotty and Dickie had a connection from Montreal and he was persuaded to come to StL and give it a shot. Based on his time with the Blues, not unlike Wayne Gretzky's short time, he probably does not belong on top 25 list. But I'll never forget Dickie Moore from that original Blues team. All heart and scored some huge goals when a goal was most needed.

Wasn't Dickie Moore the Man who chastised a teammate severely for throwing his sweater on the floor?

umslbirdie wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:37 pm
johnc1102 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:21 pm Didn't read it, don't pay them a dime, ever.

Wasn't Dickie Moore the Man who chastised a teammate severely for throwing his sweater on the floor?
Yep. According to the story, when the player in question dropped his jersey on the floor, Moore grabbed him by the stacking swivel, slammed him up against the wall, and explained that you NEVER let that crest hit the floor!

barnburner wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Yep. According to the story, when the player in question dropped his jersey on the floor, Moore grabbed him by the stacking swivel, slammed him up against the wall, and explained that you NEVER let that crest hit the floor!
I always thought that was a silly superstitious/tribal mindset. Kind of like how teams paint their crests on the floor and then freak out if somebody steps on them.
It’s just a team logo, Dickie.

Scruffy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:45 pm

I always thought that was a silly superstitious/tribal mindset. Kind of like how teams paint their crests on the floor and then freak out if somebody steps on them.
It's more than that. It's a back door into establishing pride in your team, organization, service, etc.
The Marine Corp had a few similar things that at first I thought were stupid, but for the most part, they worked.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:22 pm
Pronger
MacInnis
Demitra
Tarasenko
Pietrangelo
Stevens
Unger
Shanahan
Liut
Turgeon
Federko
Sutter
Oates
Berenson
Schwartz or Mullen
Gilmour
Tkachuk
Hall
Plante
Barc Plager
Bob Plager
Joseph
O'Reilly
Petterson

Hard to argue with that list.
What? No Ian Cole???

Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:31 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:20 pm The greatest Blues of all time are playing in the Cup Finals right now.
Never been done before.
If they are able to win two more games...Pat Maroon...the fat roller hockey kid who never gave up will have gone all the way with his home town team, a legendary tale.

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:41 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:31 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:20 pm The greatest Blues of all time are playing in the Cup Finals right now.
Never been done before.
If they are able to win two more games...Pat Maroon...the fat roller hockey kid who never gave up will have gone all the way with his home town team, a legendary tale.
yeah, signs with his hometown team for $2.76 a game, just to be close to his kid, and ends up being a central figure in leading his team to it's only Stanley Cup. A future made for tv movie staring John Hamm for sure.

barnburner wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:56 pm
Scruffy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:45 pm

It's more than that. It's a back door into establishing pride in your team, organization, service, etc.
The Marine Corp had a few similar things that at first I thought were stupid, but for the most part, they worked.
I understand the idea. Still think it’s silly though.