Re: JBo is the Blues Masterton Trophy Nominee

barnburner wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:03 am Hope he gets it. Well deserved.
True. I've never liked JayBo on this team, as he was never the coveted "LHD pairing for Petro" that we'd hoped he would be for most of his time here, but he's really pulled it together since January and been very steady back there. He's not getting beat to the puck or with the puck as he was at the beginning of the season.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Until injuries slowed him, imo, Jbo was the best all around dman on this club. Once his injuries finally healed, he again became a force on the back line.

The thing is, Jbo could have easily used his injuries as an excuse to sit out until he was 100%. Instead, he showed up, played in pain, and quietly accepted the criticism of fans. That's a class individual in my opinion.
Last edited by barnburner on Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

I can't believe how well he's bounced back. For a guy who's entire game is built around elite skating, the dropoff in play is expected when time/injuries take that elite skating away. Absolute kudos to him for sticking with it. I give him credit for trying to power through it when he wasn't right, but boy is there a difference now that he's fully healed.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

"when used properly" is the key statement in the turn-around of his game. getting him off the top pairing helped him adjust and play to his strengths. he's perfectly serviceable and brings experience and maturing to the locker room. i'd be ok if this were like the oscar's "lifetime achievement" award, signaling his retirement.

T.C. wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:27 am "when used properly" is the key statement in the turn-around of his game. getting him off the top pairing helped him adjust and play to his strengths. he's perfectly serviceable and brings experience and maturing to the locker room. i'd be ok if this were like the oscar's "lifetime achievement" award, signaling his retirement.
Agree, half the battle was getting a coach in who realizes that he's not a top pairing guy, but I think there's more to it than that. There were times when both Hitchcock and Yeo scaled back his minutes and he was still atrocious in all phases of the game. A serviceable, capable player who is overexposed is a liability and will have some ugly shifts, but he'll also have some good ones. To me, Bouwmeester looked bad every time he hit the ice, with few exceptions. He's stronger on the puck now and he's skating better than he was, regardless of his assignments and minutes.

Happy for JBo. He has been a class act throughout his time here and has been through a lot to get back to playing the way he is currently.

Somewhat related, I think the current Bouw-Parayko pairing is one of my favorites in the last several years. Their combined speed, length and stick work eats up offensive entries. Plus, they can both move the puck up the ice well with even just a little room.

Cujo's Mask wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:00 pm Happy for JBo. He has been a class act throughout his time here and has been through a lot to get back to playing the way he is currently.

Somewhat related, I think the current Bouw-Parayko pairing is one of my favorites in the last several years. Their combined speed, length and stick work eats up offensive entries. Plus, they can both move the puck up the ice well with even just a little room.
Yeah, I think you'd probably have to go back to MacKinnis and Jackman as a pairing to find its equal here. I'm easily more confident with Parayko and Jbo on the ice over Petro and anybody.

I seem to remember early in the season when everybody, including myself, lambasted Army for talking about Jay Bo working to get back up to speed as his old self. I really didn’t think he could do it, but he has proven a lot of us wrong.

I wouldn’t mind giving him a one-year extension. I wouldn’t go beyond that, because he is another ankle or hip injury away from reverting back to his early-season form.

insideout wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:42 am
T.C. wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:27 am "when used properly" is the key statement in the turn-around of his game. getting him off the top pairing helped him adjust and play to his strengths. he's perfectly serviceable and brings experience and maturing to the locker room. i'd be ok if this were like the oscar's "lifetime achievement" award, signaling his retirement.
Agree, half the battle was getting a coach in who realizes that he's not a top pairing guy, but I think there's more to it than that. There were times when both Hitchcock and Yeo scaled back his minutes and he was still atrocious in all phases of the game. A serviceable, capable player who is overexposed is a liability and will have some ugly shifts, but he'll also have some good ones. To me, Bouwmeester looked bad every time he hit the ice, with few exceptions. He's stronger on the puck now and he's skating better than he was, regardless of his assignments and minutes.
yeah that's true. he always surprises me when he turns it on late in the season. i don't know how he does it still, but he seems to play his best hockey in april.

T.C. wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:56 pm
insideout wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:42 am
yeah that's true. he always surprises me when he turns it on late in the season. i don't know how he does it still, but he seems to play his best hockey in april.
Yep. I recall in his first year in St. Louis thinking he was their best defenseman in the playoffs. I don't expect him to rise to that level again but he's certainly shown a propensity to kick it in when it counts. I can't believe I'm saying this, but he could very well be an asset in April (and dare I say May?).

barnburner wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:56 am Until injuries slowed him, imo, Jbo was the best all around dman on this club. Once his injuries finally healed, he again became a force on the back line.

The thing is, Jbo could have easily used his injuries as an excuse to sit out until he was 100%. Instead, he showed up, played in pain, and quietly accepted the criticism of fans. That's a class individual in my opinion.
I know hockey players want to play through pain but he really should have started the season on the IR until he was ready. I think he was pushed back too quickly by Yeo. Everybody could tell he wasn't up to speed except dum-dum.