Cautiously optimistic

In years past there always seemed to be a glaring deficiency in the team, this year, as of right now, not so much. Our center's are solid up and down the roster, the 3rd and 4th lines are no liability in fact they carried us through this home stand. Defense is finally healthy and if there's 1 knock on Winnington its sometimes he misplays the puck when he should just hold it. But to be fair he hasn't lately and has played like a vezina trophy candidate. I don't see any team in the west this team as it sits can't beat in a series. Its gonna be fun this year, I'm gonna enjoy the ride.

Re: Cautiously optimistic

I like their chances. They seriously got a shot to pull it off. Health is huge. Tarasenko breaking his trend in playoff scoring is huge. Post-season Perron is huge. Sustained offensive production will be the biggest key. Their style, tenacity & goaltending is there, so they will be right there in the thick of the games. Consistent goal production will be key.

I think right now everyone on the team knows their role, and that is so important. All the cliches about playing for each other are true right now as well. I don't know what the playoffs hold, but they have a chance to make some noise. It's fun to watch.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:23 am I think right now everyone on the team knows their role, and that is so important. All the cliches about playing for each other are true right now as well. I don't know what the playoffs hold, but they have a chance to make some noise. It's fun to watch.

As much as I've been a Jake supporter, it is obvious that the team just plays more calm and steady in front of Binnington. as very small part of me says go with the experience Allen has, but the majority of me knows that Binnington should start every game of the playoffs. You need the calming influence out there, especially with so many rookies and players who haven't been in the playoffs before, or for a long time. Which is ironic considering Binnington is a rookie too.

I could easily see this team making it to the WCF, but I do wonder if they have the skill to get past the Sharks/Flames/VGK in a 7 round matchup. it's one thing to bring your "A+" game two games in a row vs top teams like they have vs TB and VGK, but to do it over 5-7 games, times 4 series is tough to ask. I just see them burning out after one or two rounds, but I hope I am wrong and they go all the way!
"Do Only Good Everyday"

BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:19 am I like their chances. They seriously got a shot to pull it off. Health is huge. Tarasenko breaking his trend in playoff scoring is huge. Post-season Perron is huge. Sustained offensive production will be the biggest key. Their style, tenacity & goaltending is there, so they will be right there in the thick of the games. Consistent goal production will be key.
What impresses me most is how quickly they are able to transition from defending to being on the attack.

We are so conditioned to seeing expectations turn to shit, that confidence is a shaky thing, but these guys have proven they can rise to the occasion against the best. If we can keep key players healthy, I believe this team can go deep in the playoffs, and that's coming from a guy who was 100% sure that we would not even make the playoffs prior to the coaching change. Even when Berube first took over, I was simply hopeful that he could get this group turned around to be ready for next year. Wouldn't it be something for a midseason rookie coach to win the Cup?

I know some things would have to fall the Blues way, but could you imagine if they somehow caught the Jets in these last 6 games? What a fun year this has been...from last in the NHL to possibly winning the division.
People forget that to start the year, 7 out of the 12 forwards were new. ROR, Maroon, Bozak, Thomas, Perron, Kyrou, and Blais were all new faces in the opening game lineup from the previous year. Plus Fabbri has been in and out of the lineup. That is a lot of changes in one offseason. Seems like Berube has figured out how to get this lineup to gel.
KA-KAW!

You poor poor bastards....Lucy is holding that football just begging you to come kick it and you are all lined up for your shot! :lol:
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

barnburner wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:50 am We are so conditioned to seeing expectations turn to shit, that confidence is a shaky thing, but these guys have proven they can rise to the occasion against the best. If we can keep key players healthy, I believe this team can go deep in the playoffs, and that's coming from a guy who was 100% sure that we would not even make the playoffs prior to the coaching change. Even when Berube first took over, I was simply hopeful that he could get this group turned around to be ready for next year. Wouldn't it be something for a midseason rookie coach to win the Cup?
? Is Mike Van Ryn and/or Steve Ott going to take Berube out or something ;) ?

JK, I know what you mean, but yeah, Berube is not quite an NHL rookie coach.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:28 pm
barnburner wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:50 am We are so conditioned to seeing expectations turn to shit, that confidence is a shaky thing, but these guys have proven they can rise to the occasion against the best. If we can keep key players healthy, I believe this team can go deep in the playoffs, and that's coming from a guy who was 100% sure that we would not even make the playoffs prior to the coaching change. Even when Berube first took over, I was simply hopeful that he could get this group turned around to be ready for next year. Wouldn't it be something for a midseason rookie coach to win the Cup?

Yeah, his stint as head coach in Philly slipped my mind. My bad.

barnburner wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:16 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:28 pm

Yeah, his stint as head coach in Philly slipped my mind. My bad.
Dan Bylsma says, "what up?"
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I'm optimistic in that at least for the first time in a looong time we actually have a true #1C, a true #1D, scoring depth, defensive depth, and seemingly a goalie. First time since maybe 2001ish that I've felt happy with the team going into the playoffs even though I do believe we need another guy who can bury it with regularity. Hopefully that somebody is Kyrou next season. This year right now I see a conference finals showdown with Vegas that we don't win much like 2016, the lack of top end sniping ability will hurt.

Cautiously optimistic describes it perfectly. As Tim said, how many times as fans have we wound up on the ground wondering what happened??

In the past, we’ve always been short on talent up front. Just think if the ROR trade doesn’t happen. First of all, there would be no way we would be near a playoff spot since he was the only bright spot on the team in the first two months. Second of all, we would still be struggling with Berglund and Sobotka on this team, and be griping about how Thompson is a bust. We would be salivating at the thought of Hughes right about now.

But ROR IS that extra scoring we need.

Every season we always claim “we need one more finisher”. Even rat said this in his previous post. It seems we’re just stuck on that mentality. ROR is that guy!!! He is the #2 of the 1,2 punch that most winning teams have.

And that’s the difference in this team from teams past. Mix in solid D and goaltending and I’m cautiously optimistic about a historic run for this team.

The downfall will be all the guys with little to no playoff experience. It’s a different game come playoff time and don’t even get me started on what will be called on us and not on Nashville.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

I don't buy into "playoff experience" all that much. You hit the ice and play IMO. If you play better and score goals, you will win. Can the Blues score enough on a consistent basis in the playoffs? That will be the biggest key. I think the way this team has been playing, the amped up tempo will play into our favor. The boys are playing great hockey, they just need to bury their chances when they get em.

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:28 pm The downfall will be all the guys with little to no playoff experience. It’s a different game come playoff time and don’t even get me started on what will be called on us and not on Nashville.
Barbashev looks ready for the playoffs...but yeah...you make a good point.