MacEachern-Sundqvist-Barbashev
Fabbri

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Bortuzzo
Del Zotto

Binnington
Allen

That's your team (assuming Schenn & Perron's health).
They've shown they can play with anybody, so just like before the season, get to the playoffs & see what happens.
Come draft time, then move out $.

Fun fact:

They need $ comin in.
*cough* Jake Allen *cough*

Re: Blues trade for Del Zotto

BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:28 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:24 pm
BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:12 pm

Anything. How bout a 3rd rounder and a couple players like Barbie. Or a 2nd rounder and a couple players. It could of been done. I'm not going to cut Army any slack here. The guy said from the beginning he had his focus on a hockey trade only. He said that on TSN recently too. Whatever. It's Doug Armstrong. I'm not cutting him a break here. The guy didn't do what needed to be done, and that is to improve his teams chances in the playoffs. It's a hot team riding the wave with a new coach and a new goalie. If he wants to end the ride then so be it. I mean the guy had his mind on Del Fuckn Zotto. Please. Ridiculous.
I'm not cutting him any slack, but in reference to Simmonds I think the Blues were better off staying out of that bidding. I don't think Simmonds is nearly worth a 2nd, and I think the team is much better off with Barbashev and a 3rd than with Simmonds. Simmonds would help the PP, but I don't think he helps you 5 on 5 at this point, and certainly not moreso than any of the Centers on the roster right now. You and I probably have different opinions of Simmonds, which is fine.

In reference to the bigger picture, when I look at the trades that went down today, I don't see any that jump out and say "damn, we should've beat/matched that offer". To me Army standing pat is a vote of confidence within the room after selling off the last 2 years. I think a guy like Maroon plays his ass off the rest of the year after being rumored to be on the block for the last 3 months. In the offseason, I'll be disappointed if Allen isn't moved. I'll be disappointed if they don't shake up the blueline in some manner. Aside from that, I just don't see a lot to get upset about today.
It's not just the addition of the 2 players themselves but the mental advantage the rest of the team got knowing what they've just gained.

Before today, Blues looked like they could beat Nashville in the 1st round.

After today, do you think the Blues can still beat Nashville in the 1st round? And if your answer is no, are you okay with that?
To be honest, I don't think my opinion of Nashville has changed all that much. They're better down the middle today, but I'm not sure they aren't still a one line team 5 on 5. They're still probably the favorite in a 7 game series, but not a prohibitive one. Over the last few weeks they've gotten older and slower in a day and age that teams are winning with speed and skill (I'm including the Boyle/McLeod deals). The Granlund move helps, but I still like the Blues group of forwards better than the Preds. I like the Preds D better, of course, and who knows in net. Binnington's never played in the playoffs while Rinne has looked like Patrick Roy and like Roman Turek in the playoffs depending on the year. I'm excited about the potential series.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

usmcaaron wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:39 pm Schenn-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Bozak/Thomas-Perron
Maroon-Bozak/Thomas-Steen/Sanford
Fabbri

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Bortuzzo
Del Zotto

Binnington
Allen

They've shown they can play with anybody, so just like before the season, get to the playoffs & see what happens.

Fun fact:

They need $ comin in.
Unfortunately, you’d probably have to also include a good prospect to get a team to eat Allen’s contract for you.

Either way, Ottawa may be the Coyotes of Canada.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Fabbri

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Bortuzzo
Del Zotto

Binnington
Allen

Fun fact:

They need $ comin in.
That's what I'm saying!

BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:28 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:24 pm
BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:12 pm

Anything. How bout a 3rd rounder and a couple players like Barbie. Or a 2nd rounder and a couple players. It could of been done. I'm not going to cut Army any slack here. The guy said from the beginning he had his focus on a hockey trade only. He said that on TSN recently too. Whatever. It's Doug Armstrong. I'm not cutting him a break here. The guy didn't do what needed to be done, and that is to improve his teams chances in the playoffs. It's a hot team riding the wave with a new coach and a new goalie. If he wants to end the ride then so be it. I mean the guy had his mind on Del Fuckn Zotto. Please. Ridiculous.
I'm not cutting him any slack, but in reference to Simmonds I think the Blues were better off staying out of that bidding. I don't think Simmonds is nearly worth a 2nd, and I think the team is much better off with Barbashev and a 3rd than with Simmonds. Simmonds would help the PP, but I don't think he helps you 5 on 5 at this point, and certainly not moreso than any of the Centers on the roster right now. You and I probably have different opinions of Simmonds, which is fine.

In reference to the bigger picture, when I look at the trades that went down today, I don't see any that jump out and say "damn, we should've beat/matched that offer". To me Army standing pat is a vote of confidence within the room after selling off the last 2 years. I think a guy like Maroon plays his ass off the rest of the year after being rumored to be on the block for the last 3 months. In the offseason, I'll be disappointed if Allen isn't moved. I'll be disappointed if they don't shake up the blueline in some manner. Aside from that, I just don't see a lot to get upset about today.
It's not just the addition of the 2 players themselves but the mental advantage the rest of the team got knowing what they've just gained.

Before today, Blues looked like they could beat Nashville in the 1st round.

After today, do you think the Blues can still beat Nashville in the 1st round? And if your answer is no, are you okay with that?
Oh I'm sure we can beat them.....the bigger question is will we beat them? That's where the hangup comes in for me :lol:
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:40 pm It's Blues hockey. Blues fans are conditioned to accept shit like this and look on the bright side. Whatever. I'll still root for the boys but I don't have to like today's results or lack of results.
I have no issues with someone being upset on trade deadline day.

What would you have been okay giving for Simmonds to top Nashville?

BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:40 pm It's Blues hockey. Blues fans are conditioned to accept shit like this and look on the bright side. Whatever. I'll still root for the boys but I don't have to like today's results or lack of results.
I hear ya. We all want the same thing we just have differing philosophies on how we need to get there. Believe me the Pens fan in me is livid at Rutherford right now so I'm kind of finding it hard to fault Army for much at the moment. :lol:

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:45 pm

Going into the deadline, I would of been okay if the Blues had parted with either pick --- 2nd or 3rd. I would of been okay with dealing any combination of the following forwards with a draft pick or even both picks if necessary pending on who the player was : Sanford, Blais, Barbashev, Fabbri.................

BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:02 pm

Going into the deadline, I would of been okay if the Blues had parted with either pick --- 2nd or 3rd. I would of been okay with dealing any combination of the following forwards with a draft pick or even both picks if necessary pending on who the player was : Sanford, Blais, Barbashev, Fabbri.................
Well....how do we know the Blues didn't offer something like that? Maybe the Flyers liked Hartman a little bit better than the guys listed above.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

I mean that's fair. I think if they traded a 2nd, 3rd, and Fabbri for a couple months of Simmonds people might be upset at DA still. But for different reasons.

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Well....how do we know the Blues didn't offer something like that? Maybe the Flyers liked Hartman a little bit better than the guys listed above.
Maybe, but we were thinking about Del Zotto? That tells me no.

ratonmono wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:04 pm Hopefully this offseason we can work out something to get Toffoli out of LA and find a better option at LD than Edmundson. I like Dunn on the left side and that's about it. If Eddy can get back to his play prior to this year that would be nice.
Jed has future Penguin written all over him in like 5 years. We should hold onto him! :lol:

"Suck a dick Johansen"

That's fair, but let's not pretend it is a 'Blues fan' thing. It is every fan, of every team. The only time a NHL fan is 100% satisfied is between the time the Cup is raised on the ice after winning it, and the championship parade. As soon as the parade is over, fans start speculating, getting mad at bad draft picks, re-signs, trades, etc. Let's not try to give to much of the doom and gloom credit to our own fan base. There's fans here in TB market not happy today. And they have the best damn team in the league.

this is a problem for them (the Lightning) though....and yes, it is my biggest gripe about the Blues too:

"Do Only Good Everyday"

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:05 pm

I mean that's fair. I think if they traded a 2nd, 3rd, and Fabbri for a couple months of Simmonds people might be upset at DA still. But for different reasons.

Well, like the saying goes, if you're afraid to be great, then you won't be. I mean, how often does a team get hot with an in-season coaching change and a new found rookie goalie? I mean, you got to ride that wave.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:43 pm
Fabbri

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Bortuzzo
Del Zotto

Binnington
Allen

Fun fact:

They need $ comin in.
Unfortunately, you’d probably have to also include a good prospect to get a team to eat Allen’s contract for you.

Either way, Ottawa may be the Coyotes of Canada.
Maybe, maybe not. The Coyotes took on shit contracts to gain assets, but they also were above the cap floor anyway.
Ottawa has to get to the cap floor, or else they're looking at minimum fines of $1million, loss of draft picks, & even forfeiture of games. They need big contracts just as much as teams need to get rid of them. And what big-time FA is gonna sign there this offseason? They'll be makin moves, & Army will be a part of it, Im almost sure.

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:16 pm
ratonmono wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:04 pm Hopefully this offseason we can work out something to get Toffoli out of LA and find a better option at LD than Edmundson. I like Dunn on the left side and that's about it. If Eddy can get back to his play prior to this year that would be nice.
Jed has future Penguin written all over him in like 5 years. We should hold onto him! :lol:
Oh it is my sincere wish that we can pry Rust out of Pitt for Eddy. Hell maybe even Guentzel if Rutherford really wants to make a statement.

BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:19 pm

Well, like the saying goes, if you're afraid to be great, then you won't be. I mean, how often does a team get hot with an in-season coaching change and a new found rookie goalie? I mean, you got to ride that wave.
I've said before, I'll never fault a team for going for it. I think if the Blues had been good all season and did nothing, I'd be a little more upset. They kind of are caught in between. Been a weird season man.

If this team isn't "great" now though, I'm not sure Simmonds makes them "great" either. And I'm a big Simmonds fan.

Side note: When looking at his stats, he's in his 11th season and has been a minus player in 10 of those 11, including a -20 this season. Wow.

BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:19 pm

Just to play devil's advocate, (which you know I like to do with you Bill ;) ), the Caps big move at the deadline last year was adding a Kempny for a 3rd rounder. Nothing sexy there. The previous year the Pens big deadline move was adding Mark Streit for a 4th. The year before that the Pens big deadline move was adding Schultz for a 3rd.

In a copycat league, the lesson is that Cup winners add mediocre defensemen for mid to late draft picks at the deadline. Atta boy Army!