Re: Expansion

Very interesting.

"The St. Louis Arena is owned by James Norris and Arthur Wirtz, owners of the Chicago Black Hawks. It is thought they would have no issue leasing the building to an NHL club."

Didn't they force the Solomon's to purchase the Arena in order to get the deal done?

Man in the box wrote:Very interesting.

"The St. Louis Arena is owned by James Norris and Arthur Wirtz, owners of the Chicago Black Hawks. It is thought they would have no issue leasing the building to an NHL club."

Didn't they force the Solomon's to purchase the Arena in order to get the deal done?
I wouldn't say they forced them to but if the Salomon's would not have agreed to buy the Arena I doubt if we would have received a franchise.

For one Wirtz would have probably voted against St Louis and two no way was the City (or County) of St Louis going to build an arena to play in.

BluesSK wrote:Fifty years later the conversation about expansion is still pretty much the same;

interlocking schedule, arena size, Portland isn't a big league city. :P
This was a very good perspective piece from THW, but the writer only addresses the story from the NHL point-of-view. The other side is pretty thoroughly covered in a book that I just finished: "Ice Warriors: the Pacific Coast/Western Hockey League" by Jon C. Stott. Stott's research indicated that a major reason for all the NHL expansion talk in the first half of the 1960s was the minor pro Western Hockey League, whose owners were determined to elevate their status to major pro either on their own or by acceptance into the NHL. They became a big enough competitive business threat to the pre-expansion NHL owners - primarily by placing franchises in "big league cities" like L.A. and San Francisco/Oakland and Portland and Seattle and Vancouver - that the NHL was doing & saying everything they could to short circuit the WHL's growth plans. Turns out the WHL imploded under their own expansion weight & financial burdens by the early 70s, though they had influenced the first round of NHL expansion before that. And then the World Hockey Association carried the puck to the goal.