Re: NHL 19

Cotton McKnight wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:49 pm
BillP wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:08 am Just played a couple games of NHL 19 and it really is a big step up in play. Plays faster, more crisp, the player control, cuts, turns, stops, etc., big time improvement. I even like the change in player graphics. It's hard to explain but it's like they incorporated a touch of PS2 style into the game and its great.
Thanks to that review, I may go seek it out at my local game re-seller next month.
You won't be disappointed - I promise!! The skating engine in game is greatly improved.

NHLTIM wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:35 pm
BillP wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:40 pm The game absolutely rocks. It's awesome!

Do any of view switch up camera views or do you stick with the default Dynamic Medium view? I'm partial to Dynamic High.
I play on classic the majority of the time but when I do switch it up, it's Dynamic high as well.
You're right Tim, I think Classic has an edge on Dynamic High as well. You got me converted :)

Ok so after about 20 games in now, never ever ever use R1 to poke check.

Skate near the person and it auto poke checks...took a while to get used to. All the players are underrated (in HUT mode) but this is easily the best soundtrack since 09 or 10
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:43 pm Ok so after about 20 games in now, never ever ever use R1 to poke check.

Skate near the person and it auto poke checks...took a while to get used to. All the players are underrated (in HUT mode) but this is easily the best soundtrack since 09 or 10
Yep. Been noticing that too about the poke check, but you're right, if you just get close to the puck carrier, chances are you'll disrupt the play anyway.

BillP wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:03 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:43 pm Ok so after about 20 games in now, never ever ever use R1 to poke check.

Yep. Been noticing that too about the poke check, but you're right, if you just get close to the puck carrier, chances are you'll disrupt the play anyway.
Just got the game this past week, been playing mainly in 'Be a Pro' mode...won the Memorial Cup and then drafted by the Lightning :) Yay.

As to the poke checking, it's not too bad anymore for me, and I still use it, but have gotten better so instead of being penalized 4-5 times per game it is usually just once :)

Love the game, and yeah, the soundtrack is great.

Only bug I have noticed is that especially in slow motion replays, the players and their uniforms are very glitchy, like shaky. I love how the jerseys now 'flow' but I wonder if that has something to do with it, or maybe it's just the console I'm using?
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Oddly enough I've recently changed the camera to Dynamic medium and I'm having a good time. I normally like the camera a little further away but with this camera a bit closer I'm seeing some things I don't normally pick up. Still think the game plays great on ver 1.0 with a few slider adjustments....best playing NHL game in a long time.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:26 am Oddly enough I've recently changed the camera to Dynamic medium and I'm having a good time. I normally like the camera a little further away but with this camera a bit closer I'm seeing some things I don't normally pick up. Still think the game plays great on ver 1.0 with a few slider adjustments....best playing NHL game in a long time.
I agree, I had changed the version back to 1.0 the other day. I'll keep giving the latest updates a chance but right now, the original 1.0 is still the best version like you said.

bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:14 am

Just got the game this past week, been playing mainly in 'Be a Pro' mode...won the Memorial Cup and then drafted by the Lightning :) Yay.

As to the poke checking, it's not too bad anymore for me, and I still use it, but have gotten better so instead of being penalized 4-5 times per game it is usually just once :)

Only bug I have noticed is that especially in slow motion replays, the players and their uniforms are very glitchy, like shaky. I love how the jerseys now 'flow' but I wonder if that has something to do with it, or maybe it's just the console I'm using?
I haven't noticed that about the slow motion replays. I'll have to pay attention next time. Hope it isn't your console doing it...…………..have never bothered playing the "be a pro" mode but you make it sound fun...……………I mostly just play exhibition games. Every year I think about playing the Blues thru a simulated season but never stick with it and just keep playing the exhibition games instead - ha. But I think this game is so good and the Blues are so darn good this yr, that this year I might actually stick it out and play the Blues thru a simulated season.

BillP wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:57 pm

I haven't noticed that about the slow motion replays. I'll have to pay attention next time. Hope it isn't your console doing it...…………..have never bothered playing the "be a pro" mode but you make it sound fun...……………I mostly just play exhibition games. Every year I think about playing the Blues thru a simulated season but never stick with it and just keep playing the exhibition games instead - ha. But I think this game is so good and the Blues are so darn good this yr, that this year I might actually stick it out and play the Blues thru a simulated season.
Be a Pro and Franchise is what I do 90% of the time. I dig the challenge of having to 'the guy' in Be a Pro, and running a franchise and developing and drafting players in Franchise is fun too. If you make the setting hard enough, you may still win the Cup every year, but it is a challenge ;)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

This is the first game I've ever played on the new(er) xbox, so keep this in mind when I say I was just BLOWN THE FUCK away by this: after having to turn the console off while in the middle of a game yesterday afternoon, and then when I restarted it the next day, tonight, it resumed right in the middle of the game I was in, I couldn't believe it. And considering how many times we lose power for a moment or two due to lightning, this is my favorite feature...ever!

Sorry for being overexcited, but yay :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:14 pm This is the first game I've ever played on the new(er) xbox, so keep this in mind when I say I was just BLOWN THE FUCK away by this: after having to turn the console off while in the middle of a game yesterday afternoon, and then when I restarted it the next day, tonight, it resumed right in the middle of the game I was in, I couldn't believe it. And considering how many times we lose power for a moment or two due to lightning, this is my favorite feature...ever!

That is cool. I'm pretty sure if you put the system in "rest mode", that it will pick up where you left off. Maybe by accident that's what you did and you didn't notice that.

BillP wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:49 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:14 pm This is the first game I've ever played on the new(er) xbox, so keep this in mind when I say I was just BLOWN THE FUCK away by this: after having to turn the console off while in the middle of a game yesterday afternoon, and then when I restarted it the next day, tonight, it resumed right in the middle of the game I was in, I couldn't believe it. And considering how many times we lose power for a moment or two due to lightning, this is my favorite feature...ever!

That is cool. I'm pretty sure if you put the system in "rest mode", that it will pick up where you left off. Maybe by accident that's what you did and you didn't notice that.
not sure, I 'pushed/pressed' the lighted 'x button' on the front of the console (I have the original black xbox one) to turn it off. So whatever it is I did, yay for saving the game :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

What about the game modes in single player mode? The last view years, I really missed the good old season mode with no drafting, GM-work etc. Just play one season including the playoffs focusing on the games. No additional stuff. The best season mode was in NHL 2004 with three different numbers of games to choose before the start of the season. I really liked the season with 29 games (one game against each other team) and the playoffs afterwards.
Is there a tourney or a playoff mode in the game too?

And what about the number of penalties during a game? The last few years, the AI was very poor implemented with almost non-existing penalties for the CPU teams, even if the penalty options slider was set on maximum. Again, in NHL 2004, the AI was very good defined regarding the penalties.

ps4? I have that issue with that too, and the color commentary on the replay is way before the event happens.

Exit out of game( after finishing game and saving) and close the program through the manager, and closing other stuff like: media player, netflix, NHL.tv, and prime.

I also see it if I leave the game running over night, or play a ton of games in a season (any of the modes really), the sim-ing of the other games seem to cause issues.

If it's Xbone, well they had lag issues in 2018 as well, could just be a hold over since it's the same game engine with improved or added features on top of it all.

Harri McBain wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:13 pm What about the game modes in single player mode? The last view years, I really missed the good old season mode with no drafting, GM-work etc. Just play one season including the playoffs focusing on the games. No additional stuff. The best season mode was in NHL 2004 with three different numbers of games to choose before the start of the season. I really liked the season with 29 games (one game against each other team) and the playoffs afterwards.
Is there a tourney or a playoff mode in the game too?

And what about the number of penalties during a game? The last few years, the AI was very poor implemented with almost non-existing penalties for the CPU teams, even if the penalty options slider was set on maximum. Again, in NHL 2004, the AI was very good defined regarding the penalties.
It's the best NHL game in quite some time. No options on season mode in terms of number of games.

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:07 pm Roster update coming soon?

Yay! Vis @easportsnhl

The next #NHL19 Roster Update and Gameplay Tuner drops tomorrow. Stay tuned for more information! 🏒
About time, I had checked the other day for the roster update and couldn't believe it wasn't out yet.

Tried the "Action" camera view last night and they've improved that. Wasn't bad. Wish you could choose 3 camera views that you like, and the game would just do an auto view rotation based on your selections.

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:26 am Oddly enough I've recently changed the camera to Dynamic medium and I'm having a good time. I normally like the camera a little further away but with this camera a bit closer I'm seeing some things I don't normally pick up. Still think the game plays great on ver 1.0 with a few slider adjustments....best playing NHL game in a long time.
If you got any hints on some key slider adj's where you increase goal scoring but don't compromise the difficulty of the AI, let me know. Seems like 2-1 or 3-2 games pretty much are the norm for me. Would like to increase goal scoring but when I do that, I weaken the opponent. Seems like when you make slider adj's, it messes up the balance of other attributes even though you didn't touch them. That's why I try to find the best game mode available. But if you got any slider recommendations, game settings (all star, pro, etc.) let me know, would like to try what works for you. Thanks

BillP. wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:09 pm
If you got any hints on some key slider adj's where you increase goal scoring but don't compromise the difficulty of the AI, let me know. Seems like 2-1 or 3-2 games pretty much are the norm for me. Would like to increase goal scoring but when I do that, I weaken the opponent. Seems like when you make slider adj's, it messes up the balance of other attributes even though you didn't touch them. That's why I try to find the best game mode available. But if you got any slider recommendations, game settings (all star, pro, etc.) let me know, would like to try what works for you. Thanks
I haven't been able to play for a bit but i was that the point where the quality of the play was good but i was starting to dominate the CPU. I need to make some adjustments which I will try this weekend.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:58 pm
BillP. wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:09 pm
I haven't been able to play for a bit but i was that the point where the quality of the play was good but i was starting to dominate the CPU. I need to make some adjustments which I will try this weekend.
Keep me posted if you hit the jackpot. Thanks Tim!!

Seems like I found a good way to increase scoring without messing up the game play. Playing All Star level in Competitiveness mode --- on Original Version 1.0---- and on the game sliders the only thing I changed was goaltending. Increased both Screen Effect sliders by 10 to a total of 70. And Decreased Save Reaction by 15 to a total of 35. The other 2 goalie sliders, Deflections and Crease Reaction, I left as is and did not change. The changes were made for both Human and AI sliders.

So far, it seems like I score about 2 additional goals per game that I otherwise wouldn't of gotten. Conversely, the same can be said for the PC. So now I get more 4-3, 5-4 games. Much better. Caveat, I tried increasing the human shot power, but when I did that, the AI went out of whack and the Computer just started playing faster. So only changing the goalie sliders seems to work. For now anyway. Wanted to share what I found.

When I moved up to All star....I didn't care how the AI was playing...seemed very robotic to me so thats when I tried to make adjustments on the pro level and see if I could make the CPU better that way. I changed a bunch of settings over the weekend. I'll post a video of them as soon as I can or copy them down and post it here.
Granted everybody likes the game to play a certain way so my settings might not be for everybody but right now i've been getting a good mix of wins and losses and games and both high scoring and low scoring. I need to still work on the checking sliders because I'm usually coming out ahead in the hits department. The rest though...shots, faceoffs, time on attack...are all pretty even.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

I'm only a few games into my franchise (waited until the last roster update and system) and so far the games have been pretty even. Once I get to that 10 - 20 game mark I'll let you know what I think of my slider settings, and maybe try some of yours :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:42 pm When I moved up to All star....I didn't care how the AI was playing...seemed very robotic to me so thats when I tried to make adjustments on the pro level and see if I could make the CPU better that way. I changed a bunch of settings over the weekend. I'll post a video of them as soon as I can or copy them down and post it here.
Granted everybody likes the game to play a certain way so my settings might not be for everybody but right now i've been getting a good mix of wins and losses and games and both high scoring and low scoring. I need to still work on the checking sliders because I'm usually coming out ahead in the hits department. The rest though...shots, faceoffs, time on attack...are all pretty even.
Sounds good. I'll try what you got too Tim --- Thanks!!!