Re: Fantasy Hockey

i just renewed the league. everyone that was in last year got an invite. if you aren't going to participate this year, let me know ASAP.

league doesn't start for 25 days. everyone get in, do your research, and we'll figure out how draft works next week as i'm out most of this week.

also, i think people didn't like something about how scoring worked. if so, speak up now. i can make changes.

T.C. wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:49 am i just renewed the league. everyone that was in last year got an invite. if you aren't going to participate this year, let me know ASAP.

league doesn't start for 25 days. everyone get in, do your research, and we'll figure out how draft works next week as i'm out most of this week.

also, i think people didn't like something about how scoring worked. if so, speak up now. i can make changes.
I don't know about anyone else, but PIM is the one that puzzles me. You get rewarded for having players that pick up a lot of penalties. Seems to me, it should be the other way around, get rewarded for fewer penalty minutes. Or just drop the category all together.

I'd rather see hits and/or blocks than PIM if the PIM can't be reversed from how it currently is. Or short handed points, maybe.

ETA: I'd also like to have 20 players, plus the 2 IR and IR+ spots. Don't know how much that changes things, but I know there have been quite a few times when I wish I had a few more players on my roster. And/or make the spots either F or D only (no C, LW, RW) and that would allow a lot more freedom to mix and match. If the roster size stays the same, then I'd really like the only F and D option.

These are just things I'd like. Others may think I'm off my rocker (and they'd probably be right), and that's ok. As TC is commish, my ideas could be more a headache that I realize. Just spitballing ideas.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

And for the record, due to the completely fucked up way my job is handled, doing a live draft can be difficult for me if it's done during the week. I don't know what I'm doing for work until 6AM that day. Then I have no ideal how late I'll be working until mid-afternoon. So, I could work until 2PM or until 7PM, but I won't know until that day. But, since I do work at auto dealerships, a Tuesday or Thursday would work best for me, since they close at 6PM on Tue and Thur, so I can't work much later than 6PM. Where as, M, W, and F, the dealers are open til 8 or 9PM. I'm still allowed weekends off.

Basically, if I boil it down to the bare facts, this is what would work best for me:
  1. Tues after 7 PM
  2. Thur after 7 PM
  3. Any time Saturday
  4. Anytime Sunday

(Not in any particular order, just playing with the list function)
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

stlblues1226 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:26 am And for the record, due to the completely fucked up way my job is handled, doing a live draft can be difficult for me if it's done during the week. I don't know what I'm doing for work until 6AM that day. Then I have no ideal how late I'll be working until mid-afternoon. So, I could work until 2PM or until 7PM, but I won't know until that day. But, since I do work at auto dealerships, a Tuesday or Thursday would work best for me, since they close at 6PM on Tue and Thur, so I can't work much later than 6PM. Where as, M, W, and F, the dealers are open til 8 or 9PM. I'm still allowed weekends off.

Basically, if I boil it down to the bare facts, this is what would work best for me:
  1. Tues after 7 PM
  2. Thur after 7 PM
  3. Any time Saturday
  4. Anytime Sunday

(Not in any particular order, just playing with the list function)
I like the Thursday/Saturday options.

T.C. wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:49 am i just renewed the league. everyone that was in last year got an invite. if you aren't going to participate this year, let me know ASAP.

I think penalty minutes is bogus. Would rather see hits in place of penalty minutes. Would put added strategy to drafting and waiver pick ups.

Looks like I'm back in; shows first week matchup vs Tara sink you :)

I'm good with an auto-draft, but would love to have a manual draft night. Whatever is best for everyone, but if the greater majority can make it, let's do it.

Also, I'm down for hits, but the problem I've seen in the past is that hits are too subjective, as it isn't an 'official stat' that is measured the same game to game IIRC. PIM's at least are what they are.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:20 pm Looks like I'm back in; shows first week matchup vs Tara sink you :)

I'm good with an auto-draft, but would love to have a manual draft night. Whatever is best for everyone, but if the greater majority can make it, let's do it.

Also, I'm down for hits, but the problem I've seen in the past is that hits are too subjective, as it isn't an 'official stat' that is measured the same game to game IIRC. PIM's at least are what they are.
Calling penalties is subjective too. At least you’ll get rewarded for having say Brayden Schenn instead of Jaden Schwartz. Hits is definitely part of a players profile and should get included in the stats. I want hits baby!!!

I'm definitely in again. I would love an actual draft but if it is too difficult for everyone, it's no big deal. The nice part about the live draft is that if someone can't make it, it will still autodraft for them. So really it won't be any different.
I like the swap for hits vs PIM as well.
KA-KAW!

Neutral party since I'm not in this league, but a huge fantasy hockey guy. Here's the issue with hits over PIMs, sure they're both subjective, but you can run into issues with some home rinks sort of cooking the books for their team with hits. I don't recall which teams are guilty of this, but I think sometimes the home town scorer would give a hit to their team for basically any contact, but the other team would have to really hammer the puck carrier to get credit. That's the traditional argument against hits, but I don't know if it's really true these days.

Also as an FYI if you can't make a live draft the computer will autodraft for you. You can pre-rank your players if you know you're not going to be there. Nice feature since it's hard to get even a small league together at the same time.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

My issue with PIM is you're rewarded if you have a cheap shot artist on your team. One major and game misconduct can win you that category. Sure it's only one category, but it's like having the +/- category go the the team with the most negative number. Leave PIM, but I think it should go to the team with the fewest PIM, if that can be done. If it can't be done, I'm ok if that category is removed and nothing replaces it.

With my travel and home life schedule I prefer auto-draft but I’m intrigued by the lineup and stats questions.
What changes would you propose and is it TC’s call or league vote? TC has run this league ever since I was involved so I’m fine with the way it is/whatever TC decides.

SickMittsRomKnee wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:47 pm With my travel and home life schedule I prefer auto-draft but I’m intrigued by the lineup and stats questions.

50C4A251-0436-4B15-ACCC-A40838985211.jpeg

What changes would you propose and is it TC’s call or league vote? TC has run this league ever since I was involved so I’m fine with the way it is/whatever TC decides.
I actually "created" a league to see what the options were, and how much control the commish of the league had over such things. Seems like there are a lot of options available, but putting them into play could really be different than thinking, "hey, let's do this..."

stlblues1226 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:21 am I don't know about anyone else, but PIM is the one that puzzles me. You get rewarded for having players that pick up a lot of penalties.
correct. since bettman seems determined to eliminate fighting in the game, the only place we are encouraged to carry fighters is in a fantasy league. i do not plan on changing this. makes you think and get creative. anyone can go after high-scoring stars. takes some thought to create a well-rounded roster.
stlblues1226 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:21 am ETA: I'd also like to have 20 players, plus the 2 IR and IR+ spots. Don't know how much that changes things, but I know there have been quite a few times when I wish I had a few more players on my roster. And/or make the spots either F or D only (no C, LW, RW) and that would allow a lot more freedom to mix and match. If the roster size stays the same, then I'd really like the only F and D option.
i'm ok with adding players if people want to do that. issue is, with 20 teams with 20 spots each, rosters are going to get pretty thin toward the bottom. but that in and of itself is an interesting challenge, and might encourage more trading. anyone else have input? right now teams are 16. proposal is bump it to 20. and if we do add positions, what positions would you increase? probably C, what else?

as for the F only and not C, LW, RW - again, it makes people think and get creative. if it's only F, you can pick up anyone and throw them anywhere. not that i think this should be difficult, but i do believe it should have some challenges. F only makes things too easy in my opinion.

for transparency, these are the point categories and roster options. while i'm not eliminating rewarding the most PIMs, i would be ok with adding hits if people want to. i support that. anything else people want to change, scoring-wise?
Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 9.57.18 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 9.57.18 AM.png Viewed 15504 times 35.3 KiB
EDIT: also, as for live draft - as everyone has pointed out, it will auto-draft for you if you can't make it, so it's essentially the same. so yes, we can do live draft. will figure that out in the next week.

SickMittsRomKnee wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:20 am I didn’t think our league was broken and liked the auto-draft feature. As far as the scoring, I think it had to do with goalie usage?
With a live draft, the people that want to auto-draft can still auto draft and the people that want to live draft get to live draft. Everyone wins...like an OT hockey game.
Just a Russian propaganda account

T.C. wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:02 am
stlblues1226 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:21 am I don't know about anyone else, but PIM is the one that puzzles me. You get rewarded for having players that pick up a lot of penalties.
correct. since bettman seems determined to eliminate fighting in the game, the only place we are encouraged to carry fighters is in a fantasy league. i do not plan on changing this. makes you think and get creative. anyone can go after high-scoring stars. takes some thought to create a well-rounded roster.
stlblues1226 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:21 am ETA: I'd also like to have 20 players, plus the 2 IR and IR+ spots. Don't know how much that changes things, but I know there have been quite a few times when I wish I had a few more players on my roster. And/or make the spots either F or D only (no C, LW, RW) and that would allow a lot more freedom to mix and match. If the roster size stays the same, then I'd really like the only F and D option.
i'm ok with adding players if people want to do that. issue is, with 20 teams with 20 spots each, rosters are going to get pretty thin toward the bottom. but that in and of itself is an interesting challenge, and might encourage more trading. anyone else have input? right now teams are 16. proposal is bump it to 20. and if we do add positions, what positions would you increase? probably C, what else?

as for the F only and not C, LW, RW - again, it makes people think and get creative. if it's only F, you can pick up anyone and throw them anywhere. not that i think this should be difficult, but i do believe it should have some challenges. F only makes things too easy in my opinion.

for transparency, these are the point categories and roster options. while i'm not eliminating rewarding the most PIMs, i would be ok with adding hits if people want to. i support that. anything else people want to change, scoring-wise?

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 9.54.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 9.57.18 AM.png

EDIT: also, as for live draft - as everyone has pointed out, it will auto-draft for you if you can't make it, so it's essentially the same. so yes, we can do live draft. will figure that out in the next week.
We probably have too many people in this league to roll a two starting goalie league out there. I'd say 1 starter, 1 backup. But that's just me.
Just a Russian propaganda account

I guess this needs to be said, I kind of regret doing it because I'll probably never win again but at the same time I need to level with all my fantasy buddies.

Big reason my team BLUES - SC CHAMPIONS won was because I was pretty active on the waiver wire. I really took it to town late in the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs. Basically I always had 1 or 2 guys that were expendable so I would waiver those players and in turn pick up new players that were playing the next night. And then in turn I'd do the same with those players and exchange them for a couple more that were playing the following night. And if I had multiple injuries going on then that was even more. I amped up my stats to increase my chances of winning. So basically, I did play by the rules and it was fun managing the team and my team name in it's inaugural season was BLUES - SC CHAMPIONS and that proved to be prophetic. But if you want to put a cap on waiver transactions allotted per team, then I don't blame you. I believe you can. I had my fun winning the first year!!

BillP. wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:30 pm I guess this needs to be said, I kind of regret doing it because I'll probably never win again but at the same time I need to level with all my fantasy buddies.

Big reason my team BLUES - SC CHAMPIONS won was because I was pretty active on the waiver wire. I really took it to town late in the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs. Basically I always had 1 or 2 guys that were expendable so I would waiver those players and in turn pick up new players that were playing the next night. And then in turn I'd do the same with those players and exchange them for a couple more that were playing the following night. And if I had multiple injuries going on then that was even more. I amped up my stats to increase my chances of winning. So basically, I did play by the rules and it was fun managing the team and my team name in it's inaugural season was BLUES - SC CHAMPIONS and that proved to be prophetic. But if you want to put a cap on waiver transactions allotted per team, then I don't blame you. I believe you can. I had my fun winning the first year!!
nah. i've seen people that did very little (like me) win in leagues against guys making moves every other day. it's part of the fun.

as for goalies, if i take it down to one, i'd have to lower or remove the minimum games played requirement as people may not hit 3 games. this is what fucked me last year until some starters got hurt.