Re: JR: Maroon to sign with Blues [update: signed!]

BillP wrote:BLUES OFFENSIVE TRANSFORMATION APPEARS COMPLETE AFTER MAROON ADDITION

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... n-addition
St. Louis’ right wing is now stacked with 40-goal man Vladimir Tarasenko on the first unit, Perron on the second and Dmitrij Jaskin, who has considerable upside and untapped potential, on the third.
Interesting article, but a bit of wishful thinking in spots (like the bolded part above).

Jaskin's only 25, and I don't doubt he can provide more offense than he's shown so far, but that's not saying very much: Over the last 3 seasons he has TOTALED 11 goals and 30 assists. Put up 10+ goals and 20 assists this season while still hitting a lot and driving good possession numbers and I'd be more inclined to agree.

RAFritchey wrote:
BillP wrote:BLUES OFFENSIVE TRANSFORMATION APPEARS COMPLETE AFTER MAROON ADDITION

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... n-addition
St. Louis’ right wing is now stacked with 40-goal man Vladimir Tarasenko on the first unit, Perron on the second and Dmitrij Jaskin, who has considerable upside and untapped potential, on the third.
Interesting article, but a bit of wishful thinking in spots (like the bolded part above).

Jaskin's only 25, and I don't doubt he can provide more offense than he's shown so far, but that's not saying very much: Over the last 3 seasons he has TOTALED 11 goals and 30 assists. Put up 10+ goals and 20 assists this season while still hitting a lot and driving good possession numbers and I'd be more inclined to agree.

I've been rooting for him all this time but I realize now he's just not a scorer at the NHL level. The guy has no perimeter shot. You look at a guy like Brouwer, he had a hell of a wrist shot. I thought Jaskin would be a 15 goal, 35 point, 200 hit guy, but he's not. I'm not sure the Blues really need him now with Maroon in the lineup. The Blues really could roll out 4 scoring lines this year if Thomas is ready like we think.

Puckhead wrote:From The Hockey News link.

What the Maroon addition means to St. Louis goes beyond signing a 40-point, crash-and-bang winger, however. In inking Maroon, the Blues’ remarkable off-season transformation is all but complete with St. Louis using this summer to build a stable of offensive weapons that may be unmatched in the Western Conference.

I'll take that.
But then the same writer says this: "With Perron as a rock-solid second-line option — and one coming off of a career-high 66-point campaign, no less — St. Louis’ right wing is now stacked with 40-goal man Vladimir Tarasenko on the first unit, Perron on the second and Dmitrij Jaskin, who has considerable upside and untapped potential, on the third." :lol:

edit: Didn't see the other comments about Jaskin prior to my post :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:According to JR's piece on The Athletic, NJ offered Maroon nearly double what he took with the Blues
Yeah, that's what I heard too thru my friend (Southside) at work. He said Jersey offered 1 year at 3.2M. Maroon really wants to play in STL bad. I hope the Blues use him properly and don't screw with him. Like play him on the 4th line or only give him 9 minutes a game. Stupid stuff like that. If they don't put him in position to succeed, he won't get the opportunity to put up some numbers and this kind of stuff would work against him when discussing a renewal. I hope the Blues make it a priority to play him with the big boys, use him on the PP and give him 15 minutes a night.

BillP wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:According to JR's piece on The Athletic, NJ offered Maroon nearly double what he took with the Blues
Yeah, that's what I heard too thru my friend (Southside) at work. He said Jersey offered 1 year at 3.2M. Maroon really wants to play in STL bad. I hope the Blues use him properly and don't screw with him. Like play him on the 4th line or only give him 9 minutes a game. Stupid stuff like that. If they don't put him in position to succeed, he won't get the opportunity to put up some numbers and this kind of stuff would work against him when discussing a renewal. I hope the Blues make it a priority to play him with the big boys, use him on the PP and give him 15 minutes a night.
Yeah, that was apparently one of Army's big selling points to Maroon, according to the piece.

"The Blues’ GM wrote potential line combinations down on a piece of paper for Maroon to see who he might play with if he signed in St. Louis.

“Does he potentially go with an O’Reilly and (Vladimir) Tarasenko? Does he potentially go with Schenn and (Jaden) Schwartz? Does he go potentially with Bozak and (Alexander) Steen? Or you name the combination,” Armstrong said. “But what we tried to do was tell him that there were different options. It’s not just, ‘If you don’t fit here, it’s going to be a struggle.’ We told him, ‘If you don’t find chemistry with this player, we have suitable options.'”

In Arizona, there was the likelihood of playing with fellow St. Louisan and Calder Trophy candidate Clayton Keller and Derek Stepan, but the Coyotes didn’t have a ton of depth if that didn’t work. In New Jersey, there was Hart Trophy winner Taylor Hall, but Maroon didn’t see much ice time with him in his 22 games with the Devils at the end of last season."

Here's the link for those that want to click it, JR will appreciate it :lol: https://theathletic.com/427966/2018/07/ ... ason-2018/
Just a Russian propaganda account

BillP wrote:
I really really really wanted Maroon to sign here. I think he will make a real impact in many ways.
I read one statement from Army where he said he was interested in the idea of maybe trying Maroon with Schenn and Tarasenko. I think that could be an awesome line.

If we can dodge a bunch of injuries, I think we are stronger up front than we have been for a very long time. Last year I was depressed going into camp. This year, I'm really excited. If we can get just a solid goaltending, our forwards can compete with anybody.

barnburner wrote:
BillP wrote:
I really really really wanted Maroon to sign here. I think he will make a real impact in many ways.
I read one statement from Army where he said he was interested in the idea of maybe trying Maroon with Schenn and Tarasenko. I think that could be an awesome line.

If we can dodge a bunch of injuries, I think we are stronger up front than we have been for a very long time. Last year I was depressed going into camp. This year, I'm really excited. If we can get just a solid goaltending, our forwards can compete with anybody.
I think that he has to play with Vova. There were games, last year, where opposing coaches sent a punk to rough him up and totally take him out of the game....and it worked. He needs a line-mate who wont put up with that bull-shit, especially since Jed and Bortz are the only d-men that the Blues have who play with an edge.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
barnburner wrote:
BillP wrote:

I think that he has to play with Vova. There were games, last year, where opposing coaches sent a punk to rough him up and totally take him out of the game....and it worked. He needs a line-mate who wont put up with that bull-shit, especially since Jed and Bortz are the only d-men that the Blues have who play with an edge.
Yep. That's what I was thinking also. Maroon has no problem with taking care of business, and I think playing on that line, we would see him contribute offensively a lot. That 1.7 mill he signed for, will turn out to be one hell of a bargain.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
barnburner wrote:
BillP wrote:

all of this.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
barnburner wrote:
BillP wrote:

I agree with Turk, it does make sense for Maroon to play with Tarasenko most of the time. I say most of the time because you know the lines will get juggled. Any way you slice it, our top 3 lines are great. As long as Maroon gets some PP time and is never used on the 4th line, it should all be good.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
BillP wrote:
Yeah, that was apparently one of Army's big selling points to Maroon, according to the piece.

"The Blues’ GM wrote potential line combinations down on a piece of paper for Maroon to see who he might play with if he signed in St. Louis.

“Does he potentially go with an O’Reilly and (Vladimir) Tarasenko? Does he potentially go with Schenn and (Jaden) Schwartz? Does he go potentially with Bozak and (Alexander) Steen? Or you name the combination,” Armstrong said. “But what we tried to do was tell him that there were different options. It’s not just, ‘If you don’t fit here, it’s going to be a struggle.’ We told him, ‘If you don’t find chemistry with this player, we have suitable options.'”

In Arizona, there was the likelihood of playing with fellow St. Louisan and Calder Trophy candidate Clayton Keller and Derek Stepan, but the Coyotes didn’t have a ton of depth if that didn’t work. In New Jersey, there was Hart Trophy winner Taylor Hall, but Maroon didn’t see much ice time with him in his 22 games with the Devils at the end of last season."

Here's the link for those that want to click it, JR will appreciate it :lol: https://theathletic.com/427966/2018/07/ ... ason-2018/
Thanks for the info!

bradleygt89 wrote:Cool video with Cam Janssen and Pat Maroon on the way to Enterprise center earlier this week for Pat's first 'media day' as a BLUE ;)

BTW, if you watch to the end, looks like the new slogan may be 'Heartland of Hockey'? I like it, and it rings true with St. Louis becoming a 'non-traditional hockey market' market for hockey players :twisted:
Didn't the blues already use that slogan recently? I think it was during the playoffs.

Doug Glatt wrote:
bradleygt89 wrote:Cool video with Cam Janssen and Pat Maroon on the way to Enterprise center earlier this week for Pat's first 'media day' as a BLUE ;)

BTW, if you watch to the end, looks like the new slogan may be 'Heartland of Hockey'? I like it, and it rings true with St. Louis becoming a 'non-traditional hockey market' market for hockey players :twisted:
Didn't the blues already use that slogan recently? I think it was during the playoffs.
Yeah, Heartland of Hockey was first coined (I believe) when STL was trying to get the WJC that Buffalo ended up getting. They've used it since to highlight all the STL kids getting drafted and other things.

Doug Glatt wrote:

Fun video. I like that Maroon mentioned how annoying opposing teams find the Towel Man and the Power Play dance. I know they both annoy some of us from time to time, but I'll gladly take that trade off.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!