Re: JR: Maroon to sign with Blues [update: signed!]

barnburner wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:
bradleygt89 wrote:
Now that Jake has more goal support and doesn't have to feel like he has to be the hero every game, he should be fine. I'm not expecting him to be an All-Star, but if we can keep him at a respectable .915 and 2.30 GAA and around 35 Wins out of 50 starts, and get a good 30 starts from Husso or CJ, we'll be just fine back there.

My take on Allen: he is a very good goalie when managed right. Just as we say forward and d-men have to be used to their best potential, so does a goalie. Allen will never be a 60+ game starter and be effective. Just like Tarasenko will never be a great two-way player. He may learn how to be a better defender, but he is a scorer first and foremost. Allen is a very good 1A goalie, who needs to have a backup capable of 30+ quality starts and the offensive support in front of him. IMHO of course.
My take on Allen is that he cannot be trusted to make the routine saves. Sure he makes the highlight reel ones, but too many sneak between him and the post. I wanted him gone as the first off-season move, and I still do. All of this movement will be for naught if he continues to shit the bed. Just get someone who stops what he should stop... Sorry Brad... end of rant.
Pretty much my viewpoint too.
So many of Jake's misses, are a just spectacularly awful, that it's hard to imagine how the team can have any confidence, wondering when he's going to fall apart again.
I hope he does well, but I'm not happy having him in the nets again.
"Whew... boy... Jake would sure like to have that one back." Darren Pang

no apologies to me; I think his faults are exaggerated, just as his 'highlight saves' are. And there is zero denying he crapped the bed in quite a few games last season (and yes, the season before)

But I still believe that if he is coached and managed right, he will be a solid NHL goalie that can take a team deep. I don't think this is a blind belief, because he has done it before, such as when he 'stole' the series vs teh Wild in '17. Unfortunately, he crapped out last season at the same time he did before, only this time, we didn't have the offensive support to make it into the playoffs. Not an excuse, but damn even Carter Hutton had one of the best seasons he could have, and even he was shakey at times behind this team last season.

If we trade and 'upgrade' our goalie, so be it. No tears from me. But I think Jake will bounce back this season and show he can be consistent for the whole season. If not, then I'm sure DA will make a move to bring up Husso and or make a trade.

Regardless, everyone we just signed and/or traded for, excluding Maroon, is here for at least 3 years, so we have time to give Jake another shot, but he won't get another one if he fucks this up. I just am of the opinion that he will be fine :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

I'm throwing this out there just for fun so no need to get out the pitchforks like they do at the Asylum...
It seems like most people want an upgrade from Allen and most people would love to ship Steen and his contract out. Let's play hypotheticals here and say Steen would wave his no trade clause. Would you trade Steen and Allen to MTL for Price with 2.5 mil retained?
Again, I never do fantasy Playstation trades, so don't torch me :lol:
But, I actually think I would do that. Personally though, I think that Allen could bounce back. Yes he had rough stretches, but I think those issues were compounded by having a weak team in front of him. With this roster, he will not feel the pressure to be perfect night in and night out, so hopefully he can find some consistency.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote:I'm throwing this out there just for fun so no need to get out the pitchforks like they do at the Asylum...
It seems like most people want an upgrade from Allen and most people would love to ship Steen and his contract out. Let's play hypotheticals here and say Steen would wave his no trade clause. Would you trade Steen and Allen to MTL for Price with 2.5 mil retained?
But, I actually think I would do that. Personally though, I think that Allen could bounce back. Yes he had rough stretches, but I think those issues were compounded by having a weak team in front of him. With this roster, he will not feel the pressure to be perfect night in and night out, so hopefully he can find some consistency.
Nah. Salaries may match for this season, but Price is making 10.5 million through 2025-26 season. Allen and Steen fall off salary wise in a couple seasons. Blues won't be able to retain Schenn/Petro if they have Price on the books. Add to that, that I truly think Husso is the future and I'd pass on this trade.
Just a Russian propaganda account

MattyIce wrote:I'm throwing this out there just for fun so no need to get out the pitchforks like they do at the Asylum...
Pass on Price. Jake has his big lulls, but he's generally healthy, and his contract isn't a huge hit and has reasonable term. Price's body is deteriorating, and his contract is huge/runs roughly forever. Even if you move out salary with the deal and get the Habs to eat some of the contract, it's too risky for too long.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

barnburner wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:Maroon to wear #7.

I thought 7 was sort of unofficially retired, but I guess not...
It should have been, even before Walt came here.
I always thought that Davidson would get that done, but he didn't.

Remember, they had that 1 night where they honored Tkachuk, Berenson, Mullen and Unger for the number 7. Unger has as much claim to that number as anyone and probably more. But JD did honor the men who wore that number.

BillP wrote:
barnburner wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:Maroon to wear #7.

I thought 7 was sort of unofficially retired, but I guess not...

Remember, they had that 1 night where they honored Tkachuk, Berenson, Mullen and Unger for the number 7. Unger has as much claim to that number as anyone and probably more. But JD did honor the men who wore that number.
Yeah, that was better than nothing, but #7 should have been retired for Unger. Imo.

barnburner wrote:
BillP wrote:
barnburner wrote:

Yeah, that was better than nothing, but #7 should have been retired for Unger. Imo.
I agree. Even Derek Sanderson in his book said in the 70's it was Unger's team. Everyone knew it. (8) years in a row of 30+ goals and that consecutive game streak. Dan Kelly was a big supporter of Unger as a player. Hard to believe they didn't retire it. I guess if he retired as a Blue it might of been a different story.

BillP wrote:
barnburner wrote:
BillP wrote:

I agree. Even Derek Sanderson in his book said in the 70's it was Unger's team. Everyone knew it. (8) years in a row of 30+ goals and that consecutive game streak. Dan Kelly was a big supporter of Unger as a player. Hard to believe they didn't retire it. I guess if he retired as a Blue it might of been a different story.
8 consecutive seasons of 30 goals or more, and other than one season with Egar and Murphy on his wings, he pretty much had Larry, Moe, and Curly for wingers.
When John Davidson joined the Blues as a nervous rookie, it was Unger who took J.D. under his wing.
Guess J.D. has memory issues.