Re: JR: Maroon to sign with Blues

UMSLBlues12 wrote:JR just tweeted that he's hearing Maroon could be a Blue very soon.
i HATE when people use that term. "a blue". a blue what? "a blue" isn't a thing. the team is named after a musical style - the blues. a single note isn't "a blue". it's always "the blues". "a blues player", if you must. but cut this "a blue" shit out.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:JR just tweeted that he's hearing Maroon could be a Blue very soon.
Even AS is getting into the game again: "Can confirm, getting very close #stlblues Andy Strickland added,"

I'm sure I am off on this, but the 'expectations' and hoopla surround PM would be so much more realistic if there wasn't all this drama about signing.

Then again, it's all a conspiracy to keep clicks on websites, and keep us sheep fed our dopamine discharges :twisted:
"Do Only Good Everyday"

T.C. wrote:
i HATE when people use that term. "a blue". a blue what? "a blue" isn't a thing. the team is named after a musical style - the blues. a single note isn't "a blue". it's always "the blues". "a blues player", if you must. but cut this "a blue" shit out.
Attachments

T.C. wrote:
Honestly, I'd ban UMSL. :lol:

Looking good! Curious to see if the terms are what Lou suggested.

Eddy won't have his arb until the 25th so it'll be a few weeks before the Blues know how much salary they need to shed. Either way, props to "fan boy" Stillman for paying the 7.5 million bonus to ROR and spending right to the cap again.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Bradley GTO: I totally understand it is a business decision, but if it is that hard for him to decide, then I hope he goes somewhere else. One of my biggest fears about Maroon isn't about his playing ability, it is about living up to the expectation of being the 'hometown hero'. Toronto...they got a true hometown hero. Maroon, if folks have expectations of 20+ goals or 40+ points or him being some really big difference maker, I think they'll be very disappointed, and while Blues fans are in general very respectful of players, they won't be as much to a 'hometown' kid whose family and friends are here too.

FWIW, I'm not directing these fears to this forum, where 90% of us are beyond pettiness and silly grudges. However, looking at Twitter, Facebook, and other sports forums...I think Maroon will have a hard time playing here. Hopefully I am wrong and he plays just as motivated and doesn't get distracted by the 'hometown' kid hoopla that would follow if he does sign here.

I'm certainly not expecting him to be a game-breaker but I bet he scores a few memorable goals this season. I see him as Brouwer 2.0. He'll be cheap depth and great in the locker room. He'll also provide loving kicks in the ass if needed and you know he won't allow anyone to sit on him. I see his signing as the completion of a culture shift in that locker room more than anything. Welcome home Patty!
"suck a dick Stan Lee"

T.C. wrote:
Robert Thomas was born to be a Blue
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Drubilly wrote:
I'm certainly not expecting him to be a game-breaker but I bet he scores a few memorable goals this season. I see him as Brouwer 2.0. He'll be cheap depth and great in the locker room. He'll also provide loving kicks in the ass if needed and you know he won't allow anyone to sit on him. I see his signing as the completion of a culture shift in that locker room more than anything. Welcome home Patty!
That is EXACTLY the role I've been thinking for him. Come playoff time, he's going to be the guy in the crease slapping away at the puck and putting it into the net. The team has dearly missed the Troy Brouwer role since he left.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
T.C. wrote:remember the last time a signing was hailed a home town hero - cam janssen? that didn't work out great.
He was fun to watch but I still can't believe they traded Bryce Salvador for him.
That trade should never have been necessary. Signing the free agent dman from New York name?? (Big shot blocker) prevented the Blues from being able to afford Salvador, who was twice as good as the guy Davidson signed. Salvador should have retired a blues player. (Whew! Damn near invited the wrath of T.C. by calling Salvador a Blue! Lol )

Drubilly wrote:
That is EXACTLY the role I've been thinking for him. Come playoff time, he's going to be the guy in the crease slapping away at the puck and putting it into the net. The team has dearly missed the Troy Brouwer role since he left.
Yep. This team really needs what Maroon can bring.

barnburner wrote:
T.C. wrote:remember the last time a signing was hailed a home town hero - cam janssen? that didn't work out great.
He was fun to watch but I still can't believe they traded Bryce Salvador for him.
That trade should never have been necessary. Signing the free agent dman from New York name?? (Big shot blocker) prevented the Blues from being able to afford Salvador, who was twice as good as the guy Davidson signed. Salvador should have retired a blues player. (Whew! Damn near invited the wrath of T.C. by calling Salvador a Blue! Lol )
Jay McKee?

That reminds me, between him and Ryan Miller....Maybe we should be avoiding acquiring players from the Sabres.... :shock:

barnburner wrote:
Jay McKee?

That reminds me, between him and Ryan Miller....Maybe we should be avoiding acquiring players from the Sabres.... :shock:

Do. Not. Jinx. This.

Man! I was having a great morning.
"suck a dick Stan Lee"

Drubilly wrote:
barnburner wrote:
Jay McKee?

Do. Not. Jinx. This.

Man! I was having a great morning.
Well on the bright side at least Maroon has never played for and got inflated numbers while being on a long-time suffering organization that has a lot of offensive weapons but terrible leadership and coaching...so I'm sure he will be just fine ;)

JK; I am looking forward to having Pat Maroon on the Blues for next season. And next season only (unless he takes another one year deal because we find out Fabbri fabbri'd again.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

If the below article is correct, then "blues" is short for "blue devils," which, despite representing a singular concept - a music genre - is plural. Further to that, what the hell would you otherwise call a hockey player from the Blues? For that matter what the hell do you call a member of the Wild? "Wildling" would be kind of cool.

As another aside, based on the excerpt below, can there be a more appropriate name for our beloved team? A "state of agitation or depression" sounds about right.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/debra-de ... 99330.html
Why Is the Blues Called the ‘Blues’?

Why is blues music called “the blues”? The name of this great American music probably originated with the 17th-century English expression “the blue devils,” for the intense visual hallucinations that can accompany severe alcohol withdrawal. Shortened over time to “the blues,” it came to mean a state of agitation or depression. “Blue” was slang for “drunk” by the 1800s. The link between “blue” and drinking is also indicated by “blue laws” that still prohibit Sunday alcohol sales in some states.

By the turn of the century, a couple’s dance that involved slowly grinding the hips together called “the blues” or “the slow drag” was popular in Southern juke joints. A rural juke would be jammed on weekends with couples getting their drink on, doing the pre-coital shuffle to the accompaniment of a “bluesman” on guitar.