Re: Confirmed: Blues Trade for ROR

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Somehow, in some strange way, Perron becomes the sole survivor of the “Kid line”
Don't put it past Army to re-sign Bergy in 2022.... Although Bernie has to be very happy right now that his "Most games played as a Blue" will remain intact until Petro signs his extension.

Dave's a mess wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
BluesSK wrote:I can't believe our two biggest headaches are gone in one trade.
This reminds me so much of the Schenn trade last year dumping Lehtera. Yeah it sucks to lose the picks, but to not have to just give away bad contracts but to use them to acquire top 6 centers. Wow.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The DA that signs players to contracts leaves a lot to be desired. The DA that makes trades is good at what he does.
I agree with a lot of your opinions Wes, but this is easily your best. Doug (first name only because he's my best friend now) rarely loses trades, and wins big many times.

I agree with this. But even on Contacts he's pretty judicious in terms of dealing with the elite status players. It's the depth players he's signed thru the years that's the problem. I'd be doing back flips right now if he'd of gotten Perron for 2 years. I know a 4 year offer wasn't what Doug had in mind but for some reason he gave in to get him.

I also think the moves today upgrade 3 things we desperately needed:
1. Power play boost, especially with O'Reilly
2. Improvement on the dots - Bozak and O'Reilly 2 of the top 25 in the league
3. To me the most important - adding 2 right handed shots in the top 9.

Think all 3 are huge - hopefully they'll offset the lost points if Allen does his normal January disappearing act.

Edit: Timely tweet by Strick: Last season Ryan O'Reily led the #NHL in face-offs taken, FO won, even strength Fo won, PP face offs won, 8th in shorthanded FO won #stlblues
Last edited by ccfan22 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillP wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:There has to be more moves coming. I want more...i want all that old shit out of here. I'm praying that one of Steen or Jaskin is next. This has been long overdue.
I really think Bergevin would take Steen. Please call DA
Weren't there rumors about Steen going to Arizona around the time of the draft?

Turk Sanderson wrote:
crow.jpg
You forgot the salt and pepper!

Seems like fans here believe this trade pushes Blues to playoffs. Personally I think it puts the Blues in line to be Cup Contenders now. This team is loaded now and there's plenty of time and assets to improve it later on. But I'm with Timmy, unloading Steen right now would be a plus.

RAFritchey wrote:
BillP wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:There has to be more moves coming. I want more...i want all that old shit out of here. I'm praying that one of Steen or Jaskin is next. This has been long overdue.
I really think Bergevin would take Steen. Please call DA
Weren't there rumors about Steen going to Arizona around the time of the draft?

Must of been just whispers because I can't recall that. But that would make sense. A young team looking for veteran leadership. Now I had read a few weeks ago the Canucks wanted some veteran leadership because of the Sedins departing. There's got to be some interest out there.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Let's not forget that Steen would have to approve a trade.

I don't think he's going anywhere.
Didn't Bergy have a NMC that kicked in this year as well?

With his bestie Paul Stastny not returning, and if he really knows he's not really wanted and doesn't have a place on the team above the 3rd line moving forward, Steen might just accept a deal to somewhere he can be a bona-fide top-line guy and leader again.

Someone mentioned this earlier, here's a nice quote from DA:

Lou Korac
@lkorac10 "Doug Armstrong: "When you have to go to a group & tell them about a $7.5 million signing bonus that is due and you get nothing but a quick, 'You do what you have to do to make us a better team,' and that's led by Mr. Stillman and the local ownership group. It's a great feeling."
"Do Only Good Everyday"

I'm honestly OK if we keep Steen, although his contract is heavy. He's still a descent veteran player, just streaky. And now we have Sobi and Berglund gone, we still need to have one streaky player. ;)

But if we can get back into the first round in 2019 though by trading him and/or Barbashev/Jaskin/Sanford/Soshnikov/Sundqvist (I'd really love one of those players to step up, especially IB, but losing hope quick in Barby), that'd be a good pickup too.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:Someone mentioned this earlier, here's a nice quote from DA:

Lou Korac
@lkorac10 "Doug Armstrong: "When you have to go to a group & tell them about a $7.5 million signing bonus that is due and you get nothing but a quick, 'You do what you have to do to make us a better team,' and that's led by Mr. Stillman and the local ownership group. It's a great feeling."
Outstanding

Lou Korac

That's awesome! This team just needs 1 muscle guy with skill added to top 9 and we'll really be in business.

barnburner wrote:

Lou Korac
Outstanding
So they don't actually have to scrounge change out of the couch cushions to make ends meet?

BillP wrote:Anybody know what time this trade happened?
I first saw it like an hour or two ago I think, like sometime after 9:30 my time. Here's what DA said, but not specific on exact time:

"@lkorac10
1h1 hour ago
More
Armstrong said deal with Buffalo came to fruition after he had talked to us earlier today about the Perron and Bozak signings but had been working with Sabres for some time on a potential trade. Said it fell apart a little bit this morning but were able to pick it up after that.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:
BillP wrote:Anybody know what time this trade happened?
I first saw it like an hour or two ago I think, like sometime after 9:30 my time. Here's what DA said, but not specific on exact time:

"@lkorac10
1h1 hour ago
More
Armstrong said deal with Buffalo came to fruition after he had talked to us earlier today about the Perron and Bozak signings but had been working with Sabres for some time on a potential trade. Said it fell apart a little bit this morning but were able to pick it up after that.

Thanks! So about 8:30 pm here and I found out a little bit after 9:00 so I wasn't too late.

I was really trying earlier to be optimistic...it ain't easy FWIW. But I feel like now, like now we don't have to try to be optimistic, or 'drink the kool-aid', we can genuinely be excited. Maybe not planning the parade yet, but damn, we just became as strong in the middle as any team in our division, maybe the Conference, IMHO. If Allen can be Oct/Nov/March/April Allen all season and into the playoffs, we'll make a strong run.

#LETSGOBLUES!!!!
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:I was really trying earlier to be optimistic...it ain't easy FWIW. But I feel like now, like now we don't have to try to be optimistic, or 'drink the kool-aid', we can genuinely be excited. Maybe not planning the parade yet, but damn, we just became as strong in the middle as any team in our division, maybe the Conference, IMHO. If Allen can be Oct/Nov/March/April Allen all season and into the playoffs, we'll make a strong run.

#LETSGOBLUES!!!!

This team is a Cup contender now. No doubt in my mind. To only lose Tage Thompson out of this is fantastic.

I wonder how the top 9 lines shake out by the end of the season once Thomas/Kyrou are established?

Fabbri O'Reilly Tarasenko
Schwartz Thomas Schenn
Perron/Steen Bozak Kyrou

4th I guess will be a mish-mash of guys like Barbashev, Foley, Sosh, Jaskin, Stevens, Sundqvist?

Wouldn't mind sending Steen packing once Fabbri is proven to be able to play.

Hope we can just bury Thorbs in the minors.

Can't wait for October!

So much for those wannabenewsbreakers Dan Buffa and random Buffalo guy talking about the cost was Robert Thomas and Parayko :lol:

Considering the package that a lot of Buffalo fans thought they were getting back, I got to imagine a lot are very underwhelmed with the real return.

Kind of how we felt when we thought we were getting someone like Taylor Hall for Shattenkirk and ended up with Sanford.

Honestly, this is one of those trades that if someone on here said we should trade this, this, and this for ROR people would've said something like, "Blues fans are always wanting to trade our underperforming players for performing players"
Just a Russian propaganda account

JR has a great article in The Athletic today about the trade and Bozak’s signing. I absolutely love the Bozak signing now with ROR in and Berglund/Sobotka out. JR interviewed a Western Conference assistant coach for the article who thinks Bozak could put up similar numbers to what Stastny did playing with us.

Most interesting though was what JR thinks the lines will be by Christmas:

ROR-Thomas-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Fabbri-Bozak-Steen
Soshnikov-Barbashev-Thorburn

This organization is super high on Thomas. I hope ROR is still taking FOs on that line though if this happens, he was the best faceoff guy in the league last year.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:JR has a great article in The Athletic today about the trade and Bozak’s signing. I absolutely love the Bozak signing now with ROR in and Berglund/Sobotka out. JR interviewed a Western Conference assistant coach for the article who thinks Bozak could put up similar numbers to what Stastny did playing with us.

Most interesting though was what JR thinks the lines will be by Christmas:

ROR-Thomas-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Fabbri-Bozak-Steen
Soshnikov-Barbashev-Thorburn

This organization is super high on Thomas. I hope ROR is still taking FOs on that line though if this happens, he was the best faceoff guy in the league last year.
I don’t get why you’d move ROR off center and not Schenn?
Just a Russian propaganda account

I'm ecstatic! What a great trade! Getting the Top 6 centre we need, not giving up our top 4 forward prospect, or a good young defenceman to do it, and then dumping two not-so-good contracts!!! Doug Armstrong won back the right to stay with The Blues. They are now a decent bet to do reasonably well in the playoffs, IF Allen just plays like an average starter (maybe that's a big IF?). But, now, I am looking forward to this season with optimism. :D