Re: Off-Season Signing & Trades Thread

Dave's a mess wrote:
MattyIce wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: St. Louis Blues: A-
In: Ryan O’Reilly, David Perron, Tyler Bozak, Patrick Maroon, Chad Johnson
Out: Carter Hutton, Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, Tage Thompson, Kyle Brodziak, Scottie Upshall
Net Value Added: +2.2 wins
Other than Carter Hutton, I don't care about losing any of those players on the way out, and a few will be addition by subtraction. Then you add 2 top-6 guys, a big second to third liner, and a solid centerman in Bozak who is great on the dot. How that only equates to 2.2 wins is a bit of a head scratcher but oh well. Pre-season predictions are fairly pointless. This team is leaps and bounds better than last year's team.
If you want to consider the offseason as a whole, you need to look at the value lost, not just the value added. Hutton added a ton of value last year. He was statistically one of the best goalies in the league, so that value walking out the door for nothing in return significantly lowers the "Net Value Added". The author was doing a strictly numbers based analysis, and I think through that spectrum it's a pretty fair look at the offseason. It just points further to the fact that this season largely hinges on the consistency of Jake Allen.
Oh you are definitely correct. The article was statistically based and I see how they got number.
But, I guess let me put it this way, 2.2 more wins would give the Blues 46.2 wins. If Vegas set the O/U at 46.5, I would bet the over big time.
KA-KAW!

39hurricane wrote:You guys need to fudge those numbers for Johnson. Add in the Buffalo Sucked Balls constant and I'm sure it gets a lot better.

That being said, If Jake shits the bed first week of January, I would not hesitate to send somebody down and give Husso a start while Jake goes up to the pressbox.
I agree with this. I think technically Johnson is the backup, but if Jake is out for any period of time, Husso will be given the chance to be the starter.

Of course, who knows, maybe the Blues turn Johnson into the next Elliott/Hutton.
Just a Russian propaganda account

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Tom Wilson just got 6x5.17M from the Caps :shock:

I...literally can't believe that contract. Even ignoring the him being a dirty player thing, he's a middle 6 guy...6 years at above $5M? He's only a winger too...
He’s well worth that money. He offers something that not many players can in this day and age. He plays on their top line, he’s produces when it counts...he crosses the line when it’s needed. His teammates love him. We should have demanded him in the Oshie trade.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote:

I...literally can't believe that contract. Even ignoring the him being a dirty player thing, he's a middle 6 guy...6 years at above $5M? He's only a winger too...
He’s well worth that money. He offers something that not many players can in this day and age. He plays on their top line, he’s produces when it counts...he crosses the line when it’s needed. His teammates love him. We should have demanded him in the Oshie trade.
He's not worth it if he returns to the 7 goal guy he was the previous two seasons. Did have an amazing playoffs this year though and he's only 24 so maybe he's only getting better and turns into a 18-20 goal guy.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:

He's not worth it if he returns to the 7 goal guy he was the previous two seasons. Did have an amazing playoffs this year though and he's only 24 so maybe he's only getting better and turns into a 18-20 goal guy.
That contract is for more than scoring goals. He means much more to the Caps than just his future goal totals.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:
That contract is for more than scoring goals. He means much more to the Caps than just his future goal totals.
I get that it's for more than just goals, but no one is giving a guy that contract who scores 7 goals. That's a glorified Ryan Reaves at that point.

NHLTIM wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:
Not saying that this is good or bad, but this kind of thing is what drives up salaries for a lot of 'mediocre' players. Agents will strip away the unique significance to a particular team/situation, and then present just the stats and say "My client produced better numbers than these, therefor he should be paid more than that."

NHLTIM wrote:
I get that it's for more than just goals, but no one is giving a guy that contract who scores 7 goals. That's a glorified Ryan Reaves at that point.
It's like giving Reaves a 6 year $15M contract.

But, intangibles. Makes the Steen contract look good.

BluesSK wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:
It's like giving Reaves a 6 year $15M contract.

But, intangibles. Makes the Steen contract look good.
I’d take Wilson over Steen every day of the week and twice on Sunday’s.
When you are an important part of a cup winning team...you get paid. We paid some stupid contracts and still haven’t won shit. At least Wilson earned his money.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

That contract is going to look horrible when Ovi goes home, Oshie starts regressing, when holtby turns on the civ mode, and backstrom breaks something else.

But right now, it's the Stanley Cup Winning high. Reminds me of when Chicago started handing out big contracts like crazy in the wake of 2010.

My hope is Wilson crosses the line too much and it becomes glaringly obvious that the deal was a stinker.

Wilson is definitely better and more valuable than I gave him credit for a few months ago, but that contract is still a bit high for me. I could see something around $4.5/year on a shorter term, but I just don't see how that's gonna work out anything better than neutral for the Caps in the long run.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Troy Brouwer being placed on unconditional waivers by the Flames. When he goes unclaimed, he will be bought out and become a FA. Proving sometimes, you just can't go home.

Obviously not in play for the Blues, but I'd imagine there's a landing spot for him somewhere at a big pay cut.
Yep, that was a big whiff by Brouwer. At the time he was such a good fit here.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Troy Brouwer being placed on unconditional waivers by the Flames. When he goes unclaimed, he will be bought out and become a FA. Proving sometimes, you just can't go home.

Obviously not in play for the Blues, but I'd imagine there's a landing spot for him somewhere at a big pay cut.
Troy had a nice playoff run here, but I was glad to see the Blues pass on him as a free agent that year. He was on the wrong side of 30 already, put up 39 points in 82 games, and wan't about to see the game slow down for him. He probably would've helped in the room the last couple years, but I don't think he would've had any contributions of note on the ice. Hope he finds a nice landing spot somewhere though.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I believe his father was recovering from a stroke, which is why he wanted to move back home.