Re: GDT: Blues vs Avalanche - 7:00 - FSMW 3/15

CaptSMRT wrote:I saw this on Twitter...here are the numbers on if the Blues can make it into the playoffs and it looks more like every game is a must win.

http://playoffstatus.com/nhl/westernstandings.html
Interesting to note that according to this the Blues control their own destiny for both wild card spots. It's weird having games in hand on the team's they're chasing after the opposite was true most of the year.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Right now, by point %, we are in 10th place in the West, with 2 games in hand on Dallas and Anaheim just ahead of us. If we win both of those games in hand (And at least one of those wins in regulation or OT), we jump over both of them for the #8 place.

We're also in a dead heat with LA, who we only have 1 game in hand against, but they're 3 points ahead of us, so it's very realistic that we could overtake them, too.

Also, Colorado is 3 points ahead of us with the same number of games played, but we play them twice more this season (including tonight). If we beat them tonight and in the final game of the season (In regulation), and match their exact same record otherwise, we jump ahead of them, too.

It starts with winning tonight, though. We could realistically, VERY easily, end up anywhere from 6th to 10th (Calgary is a point ahead of us, but we have 2 games in hand on them, so I don't think we'll slide to 11th).

MattyIce wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:I saw this on Twitter...here are the numbers on if the Blues can make it into the playoffs and it looks more like every game is a must win.

Awesome site! If you go to the "What if" section, it shows just how important this game is. Win tonight and the Blues chances of making the playoffs are 62%. Lose tonight and it drops to 40%. Crazy
They need to win 9 out of 13 to have any realistic chance.

CaptSMRT wrote:
MattyIce wrote:

Awesome site! If you go to the "What if" section, it shows just how important this game is. Win tonight and the Blues chances of making the playoffs are 62%. Lose tonight and it drops to 40%. Crazy
Hate to say it, but I don't see anyway that's going to happen.

barnburner wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:
MattyIce wrote:
Hate to say it, but I don't see anyway that's going to happen.
I don't know whether we'll need 9 wins, but we've got a lot of VERY winnable games coming up: Chicago x3, Colorado x2, Arizona, NY Rangers, Vancouver, Columbus. The only ones I'd be surprised to get a W are Vegas, Boston, Washington, and maybe San Jose.