Who here has ever met and/or hung out with a Blues player or St.Louis pro athlete?

Since we started talking about this in the miracles thread I thought it would be an interesting topic. I've met 4 Blues players but unfortunately never got the chance to hang out with any of them although I could have if Craig Conroy didn't get traded!

As I said I met Jochen Hecht & his girlfriend at Chesterfield mall. Hecht was quiet but nice & still working on his English. His girlfriend gave me Jochen Hecht hockey card! 8-) :D

Remember the grocery store Wild Oats in Clayton? That was THE place to be for health food before Whole Foods & Trader Joe's. I met Chopper (Al Macinnis) as he was walking out! I asked him if he gets recognized in public but he said he's usually not the kind of person who gets recognized. This was the year Macinnis was an All-Star & EVERYONE was saying the Blues are going to the Cup! Might have been the President's trophy year. We found a newspaper & he signed it for me. 8-)

I met Twister at his Twister's bar & saloon around 2003/2004 but he was busy so we just exchanged greetings. I did speak to him on the phone a week later & he was VERY nice. We both love weightlifting so we discussed our training routines.

But by FAR the best experience I EVER had meeting ANY pro athlete was Craig Conroy! I met him at the GNC in the old West county mall! He was spending $250+ on supplements. We walked in the mall & in the parking lot talking hockey & working out for almost an hour! Then he actually gave me his phone number & said we could hang out sometime! But unfortunately he got traded to Calgary just a couple months later so we never met again.

But I called his house & spoke to him at least 3 times. He lived in Kirkwood & told me he always shopped at the Schnucks on Manchester near Lindbergh. He said he was from Potsdam, NY & actually played for Team USA but I never asked him at what level. His wife was very nice & always asked how I was doing. One time I called him right after he went to Pronger's house. I asked him I could stop by there with him sometime & he said "we could stop by for a few minutes sometime"! So I also missed out on a chance to meet Pronger only because Conroy got traded!! :evil:

As far as other pro athletes I met Rams QB Trent Green at the Des Peres Kinko's! :D He was kind of an asshole. I met Rams LB Grant Wistrom at Dave & Busters. He was much nicer & told me about Joplin where he grew up & he went to Nebraska. Never met any Cardinals players. Don't really care because I find baseball to be a major snoozefest!

Sorry for the long thread but it's not everyday you meet a pro athlete!

Re: Who here has ever met and/or hung out with a Blues player or St.Louis pro athlete?

Cool topic! I bartended Barrett Jackman’s wedding reception years back and there were quite a few players there obviously. They couldn’t have been nicer.
Also, as a kid, I used to go to practices when the Blues practiced at Brentwood. My dad and I would watch practice and then skate at the open skate afterwards. I remember Bob Bassen going out of his way to say hi and even gave me some pointers on skating. Hockey players really are some of the most down to earth athletes
KA-KAW!

Re: Who here has ever met and/or hung out with a Blues player or St.Louis pro athlete?

One request for this thread. Don't talk about running into athletes that are still in town at places that are likely everyday or routine stops for them. There are a lot of weirdos on the internet. If you have a fun story about running into someone at a restaurant or grocery store or something, don't say which one, particularly if they are still in town.

Maybe I'm being a stick in the mud, but we should be careful about respecting their privacy.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote:One request for this thread. Don't talk about running into athletes that are still in town at places that are likely everyday or routine stops for them. There are a lot of weirdos on the internet. If you have a fun story about running into someone at a restaurant or grocery store or something, don't say which one, particularly if they are still in town.

Maybe I'm being a stick in the mud, but we should be careful about respecting their privacy.
+1

I ran into Ozzie Smith at a gas station once. Also ran into Daryl Strawberry at a GameStop (of all places lol) once. Both were super nice guys.

My dad works in HVAC, and had actually worked on Ozzie Smith’s A/C sometime in the 90s. Apparently he was a huge dick back then, according to my dad. So I was kind of worried he’d be a jerk when I noticed him, but he was super nice. Maybe he was just having a bad day back then or something.

The afternoon of the day they held the press conference announcing this current ownership group, I inspected a lease vehicle in Bernie Federko's driveway. Great guy. He wasn't "hockey Hall of Famer", he was just this guy Bernie who's car I was inspecting. I felt that if I had pulled two lawn chairs and a cooler of beer from my car several hours later his wife would have come out and asked Bernie, "Is this guy ever going to leave?" That's how down to earth he was.

Met Tony Twist at the cigar shop he had in Arnold. Walked in on a Saturday to pick up a cigar or two for my now ex-wife. She was the big cigar fan. I preferred cigarettes over cigars. I walked in and into the humidor to pick up her favorite. The door opens and someone says, "Can I help you?" I look up and it's Twister. We chatted for a bit, I got the cigars. I asked if he'd call my wife (she LOVED Twist). He did. He was great. Talked to her for a few minutes like they were old friends.

Way back when he was still a player for the Cardinals, I saw Jose Oquendo at a National grocery store. That's how long ago it was, Nation was still around. Hell, it may have been a Kroger at the time. But I think it was National.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

Met Jamal Mayers during the world championships here in Halifax back in 2008. Have met MacInnis a number of times (he’s the reason I’m a Blues fan after all) and was lucky enough to grab a few beers with him, watch practice and then go for ribs at Pappy’s when I was down in St Louis two years ago. Was pretty cool. Very down to earth guy as well, we talked more about home than hockey.

me & some of the dudes from the old BNF went to mellanby's book signing when that big blues book came out. we stepped aside and hung out by the table chatting with him as i think steve worked at the charity that was helping mel's daughter or something? don't remember. he said he'd like to go grab some drinks with us after, but it went way long and he had to go.

then many moons later, i ran into him at chesterfield mall while i was wearing his panther's practice jersey. i wasn't really paying attention and he was like hey, nice siggy (it's the jersey i had him sign at the book signing). he stopped and we chatted a minute. he was with his daughter so i didn't consume too much of his time. but both times he couldn't be nicer. guy wore his heart on his sleeve on and off the ice. i miss him.

i went to a signing chaser had at south county mall one time (while he was playing). i waited about 45 minutes in line and got up there and he was confused. i didn't have anything to sign. he was baffled. i told him i just wanted to shake his hand and thank him for everything he's done on the ice, and all the years of entertainment. he did, and his giant meat mitt engulfed my hand, which is pretty meaty on its own. it was a cement block. he said he wished he had a pic or something for me, told him i didn't care and was happy. he was nice.

saw twister out a few times, the last time was right after his brutal accident when i wore his jersey non stop until he got out of the hospital. he was cool if a bit arrogant at the time anyway.

right after i moved to STL as a kid, i went xmas tree shopping at an empty lot in chesterfield on the corner where charlie gitto's is now. i was a huge cardinals fan at the time, had the 70 series pennant on my wall, etc. i saw andy van slyke there shopping for a tree. i was shitting my pants, i had never met someone famous before. i told my dad and he was like let's go say hi. i was so nervous and shy but i said i would if my dad went with me. i don't remember what i said but something like, "Hi Mr. Van Slyke, I'm a big fan, you're great" something to that effect. he barely acknowledged me, smirked, and moved on. he was a giant fucking asshole to a kid that was a fan and i never forgot that. i never watched baseball again.

T.C. wrote:me & some of the dudes from the old BNF went to mellanby's book signing when that big blues book came out. we stepped aside and hung out by the table chatting with him as i think steve worked at the charity that was helping mel's daughter or something? don't remember. he said he'd like to go grab some drinks with us after, but it went way long and he had to go.

then many moons later, i ran into him at chesterfield mall while i was wearing his panther's practice jersey. i wasn't really paying attention and he was like hey, nice siggy (it's the jersey i had him sign at the book signing). he stopped and we chatted a minute. he was with his daughter so i didn't consume too much of his time. but both times he couldn't be nicer. guy wore his heart on his sleeve on and off the ice. i miss him.

i went to a signing chaser had at south county mall one time (while he was playing). i waited about 45 minutes in line and got up there and he was confused. i didn't have anything to sign. he was baffled. i told him i just wanted to shake his hand and thank him for everything he's done on the ice, and all the years of entertainment. he did, and his giant meat mitt engulfed my hand, which is pretty meaty on its own. it was a cement block. he said he wished he had a pic or something for me, told him i didn't care and was happy. he was nice.

saw twister out a few times, the last time was right after his brutal accident when i wore his jersey non stop until he got out of the hospital. he was cool if a bit arrogant at the time anyway.

right after i moved to STL as a kid, i went xmas tree shopping at an empty lot in chesterfield on the corner where charlie gitto's is now. i was a huge cardinals fan at the time, had the 70 series pennant on my wall, etc. i saw andy van slyke there shopping for a tree. i was shitting my pants, i had never met someone famous before. i told my dad and he was like let's go say hi. i was so nervous and shy but i said i would if my dad went with me. i don't remember what i said but something like, "Hi Mr. Van Slyke, I'm a big fan, you're great" something to that effect. he barely acknowledged me, smirked, and moved on. he was a giant fucking asshole to a kid that was a fan and i never forgot that. i never watched baseball again.
Not at all surprised to hear that abouty Van Slyke. He always struck me as being a self centered arrogant son of a bitch.

Dave's a mess wrote:One request for this thread. Don't talk about running into athletes that are still in town at places that are likely everyday or routine stops for them. There are a lot of weirdos on the internet. If you have a fun story about running into someone at a restaurant or grocery store or something, don't say which one, particularly if they are still in town.

None of those people I mentioned are still in town or the places I met them at no longer exist. Every one of these meetings was over 10 years ago so I assure you there is nothing to worry about.

FederkoSutterHunter wrote:

None of those people I mentioned are still in town or the places I met them at no longer exist. Every one of these meetings was over 10 years ago so I assure you there is nothing to worry about.
Wasn't trying to call you out as much as be proactive for responses to come.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Met Twister many times hanging around various St. Charles bars over the years. Super nice guy.

Used to frequent some of the same stops that the "boy band" did in Soulard/CWE back when Oshie and company were hitting it pretty hard. Johnny's was fun. Never really hung out with any of them much, though I think Oshie bought us a round of shots once (blackout night).

Remember seeing Marshall Faulk and Jim Edmonds down on the landing. Faulk was a huuuge douche.

Quite a few years ago I was working on decorations for a special event at a private school in West County. My "right hand man" was none other than Bob Forsch, the only Cardinal to have two no-hitters to his credit. Very nice, unassuming gentleman. My wife was a teacher at the school and Bob had two daughters in attendance there.

On another occasion I was flying to Atlanta on a "business" trip and sitting next to me was Al Hrabosky whom I chatted with for a few moments. I think the conversation was over when I alluded to him as the "Mild Hungarian". And in addition he was more interested in the lady next to him.

And a third occasion was actually in the Atlanta airport when I noticed a very familiar face walking by pulling a bag. I caught up to him and said, "excuse me, aren't you a pretty famous hockey player"? He said he guessed he might be. I offered my hand and we shook hands and he had the largest, softest hands that I'd ever encountered in a man. He was none other than Gordie Howe.

How many of you guys know about the Camden Cross Creek apartments near Olive & 270 in Creve Coeur?It changed hands a couple years ago & now it's called the Crossing or something.

But back in the 90s to early 2000s it was THE place to be in St.Louis as far as apartment complexes go. The party pool in the back was SO wild that there were fights almost every weekend & many times the cops had to be called in!

Several of the Rams players stayed there when they first came to town. But they generally only stayed 6 months to a year because they had plenty of money to get their own place.

Az-zir Hakim & Leonard Little stayed there for a while. I was there when Az-zir was there but never saw him. I'm sure you recall he was a great return man for a while but then had a playoff game with 1 or 2 big fumbles! I never really liked the Rams because they felt like the LA Rams playing in St.Louis. Turns out I was right! :P

There may have also been some Blues & Cardinals who stayed at that apartment complex when they first came to town. It's not the most coveted place anymore because there are several other places now that are just as good or even better.

I knew Ab McDonald before he even started Bantam, as he lived in our neighbourhood, sand my parents knew his parents. He was 10 years older than I. I used to see him at Chicago Stadium, when he came out for practise while with The Hawks, and later with The Blues. I used to see all The Blues' games in L.A. while I attended UCLA, in '67-69, and back in Chicago in '70 and '71.

I also always talked to The Blues' scouts at Blues' games in L.A. and Chicago from 1967-72. I talked to Frank Mario, Al Arbour and Jean-Guy Talbot (tried to impress him with mon Français). I would talk to them between periods. I knew what Arbour and Talbot looked like from watching them play, and their hockey cards. I knew what Mario looked like from his picture in The Blues' Annual Guidebook.

I met Stan Musial, Ken Boyer, Wally Moon, Red Schoendienst, Enos Slaughter, and other Cardinals at batting practise at Cubs games during the early and mid 1950s, when visiting family in Chicago, before we moved there during the 1960s. I met some of The Browns in 1953, at Sportsman's Park vs. The White Sox,, when we saw a game traveling from Chicago to L.A. in summer. I met Vern Stephens and Vic Wertz, and Don Larson, among others. At Wrigley and Comiskey, I used to go early, with my older cousins, to summer games, to try to catch foul balls at batting practise. The bleacher seats were 25 cents back then.

My parents are good friends with a former minority owner in the Blues (1980s and 1990s before Checkett's).

So every year my parents would get invited to the Blue and Gold banquet (and I was the one kid they would take). I remember the year Hull was scoring like crazy, you could not get anywhere near the guy, I was eleven and undersized, so I was just hanging back and watching Hull get mobbed. Up walks Jeff Brown, signs my program and chats me up because I drew a hockey play on the program. He ends up moving my parents and I to his table and I remember he got along with my parents pretty well.

The other memorable banquet was the one in 97, we got seated at Grant Fuhr's table. I was still playing goalie back then. So it was fun to pick his brain. His wife was teasing him and taking his unhealthy food off his plate and giving him more salad. That year my Dad took place in the silent auction and I got a coat rack that the whole 97 team signed. I'll have to reassemble it and share a pic here at some point.

I also got to play shinny with some different NHLers at different rinks in STL. But one time my cousin and I were the only ones on the ice on a Friday night at Chesterfield (late 1999), and two huge dudes hopped on the ice with us. It was Todd Ewen and his little brother. Some of the most fun we ever had. They just did drills on me for 2 hours! Great workout! In the locker room he was talking about a shopping center he owned land for that was being built out west on Manchester. I don't know if he ever built it, I moved away a couple of months later. To Arizona.

Fast forward to 2006 and I got to go to every Coyotes home game (they sucked) because my company of employment gave away tickets to their box every game (Nationwide/their division in PHX). So I was hanging out with executives kids and my wife of course (she was farther up the food chain at that company). In walks Tyson Nash, before he was doing color analysis but was semi retired, and back from playing in Japan. The wife has always picked attractive hockey players to root for, nothing based on skill. Her jaw dropped and he came over and chatted her up for the whole night, signed some stuff for her and gave me a ribbing for my wife paying a bunch of attention to him. He was a nice guy.

Pretty decent experiences.

On the other side:
Panger sucks in person, super short (compared to me), and I'm short, and just miffed to be talked to. Ran into him on multiple occasions in PHX. Guess I could not advance his career. ;)

Pavel Bure wouldn't sign his rookie card outside of the old Arena, so I tossed my card at him and walked away. I could hardly understand him, but something something about money.