Re: Caps Overvalued Shattenkirk

Barry Trotz has been coaching in the NHL for the last 20 years or so and not once has he gotten past the 2nd round. He's more overrated as a coach then Shatty is a player every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote:Barry Trotz has been coaching in the NHL for the last 20 years or so and not once has he gotten past the 2nd round. He's more overrated as a coach then Shatty is a player every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Sounds like Trotz and Armstrong should have lunch together

Shattenkirk got stuck with Orpik who had seen his better days.

To be honest, I'm really impressed with how Shatty is meeting the challenge in NY. He really loves that jersey and he's taken it to heart. I get the impression NY is happy with him.

I'd still take him on the Blues. How many more goals would this team have this year if he was running the PP here? It's really embarrassment that the Blues haven't figured out the PP by now since the trade but that's still the case, then again that shows the value of Shattenkirk.

That's a real shitty move by Trotz. What did Shatty do, kick his dog?

By the way I think saying Blues fans and this board in particular "knew all along" that Shatty wasn't a 1 or 2 is mighty revisionist. I think there were more than a few folks on this board that thought he was the best D-man on this team. They were wrong of course, but they were out there. :lol:
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote:That's a real shitty move by Trotz. What did Shatty do, kick his dog?

By the way I think saying Blues fans and this board in particular "knew all along" that Shatty wasn't a 1 or 2 is mighty revisionist. I think there were more than a few folks on this board that thought he was the best D-man on this team. They were wrong of course, but they were out there. :lol:
There were quite a few saying we needed to trade Petro "While he still has value" because he was only the 3rd best defenseman on the team, and Shattty/Parayko would be our top pairing.

Sure, I'd like to still have Shattenkirk here, but he seemed like he was heading to New York all along, and everyone in the league knew it, which is why we couldn't get much in trade for him. Still, them's the rules, that's why becoming an UFA is such a prize for players, and you can't blame the guy for making the system work for him!

CaptSMRT wrote:28 years old....getting paid $8million and he is working on being a top pairing player. When does he think it is going to happen? Seems like a high price to pay for a project. I did say trade Pietrangelo and keep Shatty, but I am a hot head.
This is why I don't think Trotz is wrong. Shatty sucked on D, he would have been a great forward if he would have been developed to do that.

Article on Shattenkirk on NHL.com talking about the Winter Classic Game.

https://www.nhl.com/news/shattenkirk-ex ... =283985238

Here's an excerpt from the article about his play so far this season:

Shattenkirk's transition to the Rangers hasn't been smooth.

"I would say he's a work in progress," Vigneault said. "There's no doubt that our expectations and his expectations are a little bit higher than what we've seen so far."

Shattenkirk has 22 points (five goals, 17 assists), including 11 on the power play, in 38 games. He's on pace for 47 points, 23 on the power play. That's on par with what he has averaged the past four seasons, and it looks good until you realize he hasn't scored in 22 straight games and has no points in the past five games and two in 11 since Dec. 8.

BillP wrote:Article on Shattenkirk on NHL.com talking about the Winter Classic Game.

https://www.nhl.com/news/shattenkirk-ex ... =283985238

Here's an excerpt from the article about his play so far this season:

Shattenkirk's transition to the Rangers hasn't been smooth.

"I would say he's a work in progress," Vigneault said. "There's no doubt that our expectations and his expectations are a little bit higher than what we've seen so far."

Shattenkirk has 22 points (five goals, 17 assists), including 11 on the power play, in 38 games. He's on pace for 47 points, 23 on the power play. That's on par with what he has averaged the past four seasons, and it looks good until you realize he hasn't scored in 22 straight games and has no points in the past five games and two in 11 since Dec. 8.
I'd give 'em Steen and Schmaltz for him right now.

blueslifer wrote:I don't understand why Trotz stating a fact is such a bad thing.
Just a pretty bad look to trash a former player. Who will want to play for Trotz knowing he's going to speak to the press about a former player like that? Especially when the player in question is Kevin Shattenkirk, who albeit isn't perfect, is still a damn good hockey player.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
blueslifer wrote:I don't understand why Trotz stating a fact is such a bad thing.
Just a pretty bad look to trash a former player. Who will want to play for Trotz knowing he's going to speak to the press about a former player like that? Especially when the player in question is Kevin Shattenkirk, who albeit isn't perfect, is still a damn good hockey player.
Here's the quote in question, I guess I just don't see how that is trashing him. "I think everybody thought of him as a 1-2, and he really wasn't. He was a little lower." If anything Trotz is trashing his own management team for overvaluing the player they traded for.