Re: Cuts are in

Kostin still with big club as well. A little surprising he's still around, but that's a good thing. I'm sure he'll spend a lot of time in the AHL for conditioning at the very least.

No big surprises I suppose. Should be a very interesting 4 days or so as the roster rounds out. Kostin is the only guy that I think doesn't have a shot at making the club out of the gate.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Here's where the players were sent Jordan Kyrou (Sarnia) and Robert Thomas (London) to their junior teams.

The Blues also assigned six players to the American Hockey League (AHL): forwards Conner Bleackley (Chicago), Mackenzie MacEachern (Chicago) and Adam Musil (San Antonio), along with defensemen Jordan Schmaltz (San Antonio) and Thomas Vannelli (San Antonio) and goaltender Ville Husso (San Antonio).

Beau Bennett and defensemen Chris Butler and Petteri Lindbohm on waivers.
Last edited by Dread_Pirate_Westley on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Here's where the players were sent Jordan Kyrou (Sarnia) and Robert Thomas (London) to their junior teams.

The Blues also assigned six players to the American Hockey League (AHL): forwards Conner Bleackley (Chicago), Mackenzie MacEachern (Chicago) and Adam Musil (San Antonio), along with defensemen Jordan Schmaltz (San Antonio) and Thomas Vannelli (San Antonio) and goaltender Ville Husso (San Antonio).
Will be interesting to see how Vannelli fares in the AHL. Would be nice for him to get his career back on track.

@jprutherford
#stlblues lines
Schwartz-Stastny-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Schenn-Blais
Kostin-Barbashev-Jaskin
Megan-Brodziak-Thorburn
Paajarvi-Sundqvist-Thompson
Hmm...Blais getting run with Schenn while Megan gives it a go with the grinders.

Dave's a mess wrote:
@jprutherford
#stlblues lines
Sobotka-Schenn-Blais
Kostin-Barbashev-Jaskin
Megan-Brodziak-Thorburn
Hmm...Blais getting run with Schenn while Megan gives it a go with the grinders.
Gotta love that all russian line there.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Blues need to trade Schmaltz now. I think the kid looks fine and deserves to start but obviously the Blues aren't interested and if they're not interested then trade him while he has value. I mean JBO is out and you got Gunnarson and Bortuzzo in front of you. How the Blues can't work him in now is beyond me. Trade him for a promising young forward now.

Dave's a mess wrote:
@jprutherford
#stlblues lines
Sobotka-Schenn-Blais
Kostin-Barbashev-Jaskin
Megan-Brodziak-Thorburn
So of those forwards, there is only one more cut, right? 14 forwards + 7 D + 2 Gs is the typical roster makeup.

You'd have to think it'd be Kostin most likely whose the last cut as far as the forwards go.

Glad to see them playing Barbashev at C. I still feel thats his most effective position.

BillP wrote:Beau Bennett cut ---- what a waste of a signing...........that Schenn deal is going to ink Armstrong to another 5 year deal but sometimes I wonder.
Only making $650K--hardly a waste. Even if he doesn't get claimed, we've had guys like him (Butler comes to mind) making decent cash in the minors previously.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
BillP wrote:Beau Bennett cut ---- what a waste of a signing...........that Schenn deal is going to ink Armstrong to another 5 year deal but sometimes I wonder.
Only making $650K--hardly a waste. Even if he doesn't get claimed, we've had guys like him (Butler comes to mind) making decent cash in the minors previously.
Yeah but Armstrong rushed and signed him during draft weekend and he didn't even bother waiting for the free agent list to weed out. I mean what was the rush to wrap things up? There's always vets looking for work on the cheap towards the end. Drew Stafford ended up signing for 800K. Sure would be nice to have him on this team at that price. JMO

BillP wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Yeah but Armstrong rushed and signed him during draft weekend and he didn't even bother waiting for the free agent list to weed out. I mean what was the rush to wrap things up? There's always vets looking for work on the cheap towards the end. Drew Stafford ended up signing for 800K. Sure would be nice to have him on this team at that price. JMO
I agree...I think the Blues saw an NHL player at a cheap price and jumped all over it. Stafford would have been a nice signing knowing what we know now for sure.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Dave's a mess wrote:
@jprutherford
#stlblues lines
Sobotka-Schenn-Blais
Kostin-Barbashev-Jaskin
Megan-Brodziak-Thorburn
So of those forwards, there is only one more cut, right? 14 forwards + 7 D + 2 Gs is the typical roster makeup.

You'd have to think it'd be Kostin most likely whose the last cut as far as the forwards go.

Glad to see them playing Barbashev at C. I still feel thats his most effective position.
Agreed, it'll likely be Kostin unless they plan to give him a regular role in the lineup.

I think Sundqvist makes the team, not because he deserves it but he's a better person to stick in the pressbox than a Kostin or Thompson.

For such a "weak" draft class this year, the Blues sure seemed to hit a homerun with it.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Surprised nobody mentioned Lindbohm being put on waivers. In a normal year I have no doubt he would get snatched up. The only reason he may not this year is because of the logjam of D-men Vegas is going to add to the waiver wire.

BillP wrote:Blues need to trade Schmaltz now. I think the kid looks fine and deserves to start but obviously the Blues aren't interested and if they're not interested then trade him while he has value. I mean JBO is out and you got Gunnarson and Bortuzzo in front of you. How the Blues can't work him in now is beyond me. Trade him for a promising young forward now.
That ship has sailed. The reason the Blues can't work him in is that he's not as good as the other guys ahead of him. He had a shot at the end of last year and did not impress despite playing very sheltered minutes, and Dunn and Walman have certainly passed him by. Nobody is going to trade a promising young forward for him since the other teams all have scouts and see what he brings to the table. I'm sure the Blues would love to put him in the lineup if he had shown he deserved it, but he hasn't. It's fine, not every first round pick works out.

I think I read earlier today that the roster is at 32. Here is who I have that is still left, but please correct me if I'm wrong:

LW - Jaskin, Paajarvi, Schwartz, Sobotka
C - Barbashev, Brodziak, Megan, Schenn, Stastny, Sundqvist
RW - Blais, Kostin, Tarasenko, Thompson, Thorburn
LD - Dunn, Edmundson, Gunnarsson, Walman
RD - Bortuzzo, Parayko, Pietrangelo, Prosser
G - Allen, Binnington, Hutton
Injured - Berglund, Bouwmeester, Fabbri, Opilka, Sanford, Steen

That leaves 15 forwards, 8 defensemen and 3 goalies as the healthy players in camp. My best guess is that Kostin, Walman and Binnington are the final cuts with all of the injured players on IR. The opening night lineup would then look something like this:

71-26-91
17-10-64
61-49-32
56-28-22 (23 and 70 extra)

6-27
29-55
4-41 (39 extra)

34-40

That active roster, plus Berglund, Bouwmeester and Steen, comes up to around $74.6M by my calculations. I don't think we need to count Fabbri, Opilka or Sanford while they are injured since they are all waivers exempt. Even without those three, that only leaves us with around $400k in cap space, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see us run with 13 forwards. If we do, I'm pretty sure that leaves Thompson out of the equation given that he would be the only waiver exempt forward remaining. Once Berglund and Sanford get placed on LTIR, that would leave us more room now to add players but we wouldn't gain any deadline space.

blueslifer wrote:Surprised nobody mentioned Lindbohm being put on waivers. In a normal year I have no doubt he would get snatched up. The only reason he may not this year is because of the logjam of D-men Vegas is going to add to the waiver wire.
That, and he has one pre-season game under his belt after recovering from shoulder surgery. Anyone who claims him would have to keep him on the NHL roster or risk losing him back to us.

MissouriMook wrote:I think I read earlier today that the roster is at 32. Here is who I have that is still left, but please correct me if I'm wrong:

LW - Jaskin, Paajarvi, Schwartz, Sobotka
C - Barbashev, Brodziak, Megan, Schenn, Stastny, Sundqvist
RW - Blais, Kostin, Tarasenko, Thompson, Thorburn
LD - Dunn, Edmundson, Gunnarsson, Walman
RD - Bortuzzo, Parayko, Pietrangelo, Prosser
G - Allen, Binnington, Hutton
Injured - Berglund, Bouwmeester, Fabbri, Opilka, Sanford, Steen

That leaves 15 forwards, 8 defensemen and 3 goalies as the healthy players in camp. My best guess is that Kostin, Walman and Binnington are the final cuts with all of the injured players on IR. The opening night lineup would then look something like this:

71-26-91
17-10-64
61-49-32

6-27
29-55
4-41 (39 extra)

34-40

That active roster, plus Berglund, Bouwmeester and Steen, comes up to around $74.6M by my calculations. I don't think we need to count Fabbri, Opilka or Sanford while they are injured since they are all waivers exempt. Even without those three, that only leaves us with around $400k in cap space, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see us run with 13 forwards. If we do, I'm pretty sure that leaves Thompson out of the equation given that he would be the only waiver exempt forward remaining. Once Berglund and Sanford get placed on LTIR, that would leave us more room now to add players but we wouldn't gain any deadline space.
That should be an exciting lineup, although we have a LOT of youth there. But will be fun to watch for sure :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

MissouriMook wrote: 71-26-91
17-10-64
61-49-32

6-27
29-55
4-41 (39 extra)

34-40
I think you pretty much nailed the group, although I'd bet Jaskin starts the year in the lineup. As such, I could see Thompson going to the AHL if he doesn't clearly beat out Megan. On D I bet Dunn starts on the third pair with Bortz, but gets some time on PP2.