Re: Panger out?

I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy him.

I am not a JK fan at all so he balances that out. Kelly and Federko back again would be extremely difficult to tolerate. I'd rather listen to two drunk guys in a bar discuss who's metaphorical dick is bigger all game.

Also, pretty shitty on Fox Sports part to straight up low ball Panger. If you aren't bringing him back, don't insult him with a pay decrease offer.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy him.

I am not a JK fan at all so he balances that out. Kelly and Federko back again would be extremely difficult to tolerate. I'd rather listen to two drunk guys in a bar discuss who's metaphorical dick is bigger all game.

Also, pretty shitty on Fox Sports part to straight up low ball Panger. If you aren't bringing him back, don't insult him with a pay decrease offer.
You can thank the St. Louis Cardinals for this. This is ESPN on a local level. FSMW is paying the Cardinals over $1B over the next 15 years (starting in 2018). That's $67M a year that FSMW owes the Cards.

As more and more people cut the cord and drop cable the dominoes start to fall. As the number of cable viewers drop, cable companies are not going to continue to pay FSMW the same fees because the cable company’s income is dropping. As cable viewership drops, cable companies will have to decide to either raise rates or drop FSMW. Either option causes more people to drop cable. And so it goes.

As cable viewership drops, the amount of money FSMW can command for advertising drops. As cable viewership drops, what FSMW can demand from cable companies drops. Sure, the get money from the cable cutters, but I don’t know how it compares to what they get from the cable companies. How much are advertisers willing to pay to be on the services that cable cutters are going to? I guess it depends on how easy it is to determine how many viewers there are. What doesn’t drop is the contractual obligation that FSMW has with the Cardinals.

Having said all that, I can foresee a day when FSMW has to cut back its commitment to the Blues because they just cannot afford to carry the Cardinals and the Blues. Let’s just hope another local station is willing to carry the Blues or that the NHL makes major changes to their blackout rules so that people in St. Louis can buy the NHL Center Ice package (or similar) and see the local games. I guess that only depends on if the opposing team has a TV deal.

I know this is sort of scatter shot, but there is just so much that could, and probably will, go wrong in the next 5 to 10 years.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

stlblues1226 wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy him.

You can thank the St. Louis Cardinals for this. This is ESPN on a local level. FSMW is paying the Cardinals over $1B over the next 15 years (starting in 2018). That's $67M a year that FSMW owes the Cards.

As more and more people cut the cord and drop cable the dominoes start to fall. As the number of cable viewers drop, cable companies are not going to continue to pay FSMW the same fees because the cable company’s income is dropping. As cable viewership drops, cable companies will have to decide to either raise rates or drop FSMW. Either option causes more people to drop cable. And so it goes.

As cable viewership drops, the amount of money FSMW can command for advertising drops. As cable viewership drops, what FSMW can demand from cable companies drops. Sure, the get money from the cable cutters, but I don’t know how it compares to what they get from the cable companies. How much are advertisers willing to pay to be on the services that cable cutters are going to? I guess it depends on how easy it is to determine how many viewers there are. What doesn’t drop is the contractual obligation that FSMW has with the Cardinals.

Having said all that, I can foresee a day when FSMW has to cut back its commitment to the Blues because they just cannot afford to carry the Cardinals and the Blues. Let’s just hope another local station is willing to carry the Blues or that the NHL makes major changes to their blackout rules so that people in St. Louis can buy the NHL Center Ice package (or similar) and see the local games. I guess that only depends on if the opposing team has a TV deal.

I know this is sort of scatter shot, but there is just so much that could, and probably will, go wrong in the next 5 to 10 years.
That's a very good analysis of what is happening in the sports broadcast industry right now. I dropped DIRECTV after 19 years and I'm now saving about $80 per month with PlayStation Vue. I don't believe there is any way possible that Vue is paying FSMW the same rate that Charter or DIRECTV pays them per subscriber.

The big sports TV contracts are going to hurt a lot of people and companies in the business now that cord cutting is becoming more prominent. FWIW, even if I lost FSMW, I would never go back to cable/satellite.

barcthespark wrote:
stlblues1226 wrote:

That's a very good analysis of what is happening in the sports broadcast industry right now. I dropped DIRECTV after 19 years and I'm now saving about $80 per month with PlayStation Vue. I don't believe there is any way possible that Vue is paying FSMW the same rate that Charter or DIRECTV pays them per subscriber.

The big sports TV contracts are going to hurt a lot of people and companies in the business now that cord cutting is becoming more prominent. FWIW, even if I lost FSMW, I would never go back to cable/satellite.
Is FSMW currently on Vue? I've been seriously considering dropping DirecTV and switching to Vue to save money. Also curious if Vue has a DVR type option to keep track of new shows

FSMW is on Vue and they have a cloud DVR feature. The DVR isn't the greatest when compared to a physical DVR, but it gets the job done. They also have On Demand and access to individual channel apps using the Vue login. Between the three options I haven't had any problem watching any shows or sports that I want to watch.

Just in case anyone is interested, I know of a little trick on charter's website to get you a pretty good deal on internet plus TV silver (includes HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime). You have to be a new customer or a returning customer who hasn't had service in the past year.

storey13 wrote:Just in case anyone is interested, I know of a little trick on charter's website to get you a pretty good deal on internet plus TV silver (includes HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime). You have to be a new customer or a returning customer who hasn't had service in the past year.
Go on.....

blue to the bone wrote:
storey13 wrote:Just in case anyone is interested, I know of a little trick on charter's website to get you a pretty good deal on internet plus TV silver (includes HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime). You have to be a new customer or a returning customer who hasn't had service in the past year.
Go on.....
When you go to their website, just order internet only, when you get to the screen showing your total checkout price, if you scroll down, you'll see a banner to add tv silver for only $20 more a month, sometimes it even has free DVR too. I don't use charter boxes. I use a TiVo with a charter cable card, so my total is like under $70 a month for 100 Mbps internet and tv silver.

storey13 wrote:
blue to the bone wrote:
Go on.....
When you go to their website, just order internet only, when you get to the screen showing your total checkout price, if you scroll down, you'll see a banner to add tv silver for only $20 more a month, sometimes it even has free DVR too. I don't use charter boxes. I use a TiVo with a charter cable card, so my total is like under $70 a month for 100 Mbps internet and tv silver.
Interesting. I'll check it out. Not sure I'd use charters boxes either tho.

blue to the bone wrote:Oh, and thanks storey.

Yeah if they don't bring panger back I think it'd be a yuuuuge mistake.
I could see fsmw trying to replace him with Andy Strickland or someone else like him who has the personality of a door knob.
Strickland replacing Panger?
As horrific as it seems, considering Strick's track record of somehow worming his way into jobs, I can't help but wonder if that possibility is not behind the ridiculous low balling of Panger by FSMW.
I think I'm going to throw up.

barnburner wrote:

I could see fsmw trying to replace him with Andy Strickland or someone else like him who has the personality of a door knob.
As horrific as it seems, considering Strick's track record of somehow worming his way into jobs, I can't help but wonder if that possibility is not behind the ridiculous low balling of Panger by FSMW.
Just remember this; it's not who you know, it who you blow.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

barnburner wrote:

Nah, color guy is usually a former player. Cam Janssen.

BluesSK wrote:
barnburner wrote:

Nah, color guy is usually a former player. Cam Janssen.
I'm ok with Cam. Love him on the afternoon radio show he's part of on 590. He needs to get out of there because some idiot thought bringing in John Hadley was a good idea. What a fucking tool Hadley is.

Any chance they can pry Chaser from the radio side?