2017 NHL FA/Trade talk

Rumors circulating on the Twitter sphere that the Jackets are going to give up a 1st and a prospect for Vegas to take the Clarkson contract.

Lebrun/Seabrook: In fact, the #Blackhawks have not talked to a single team about him. They value his leadership.

Friedman predicting this could be one of the busiest off-seasons in recent memory. Strap in men.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Re: 2017 NHL FA/Trade talk

I love the Hawks rumor just because its amazing for speculation purposes. Supposedly it's a "Non-Toews member of the core". Let's assume the core consists of Toews/Kane/Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmarsson/Panarin/Hossa/Crawford. I can think of reasons to move everyone on that list other than Panarin and Crawford (since they already dealt Darling). While most of the speculation has centered around Seabrook and Hjalmarsson, I wouldn't be shocked if it's one of the bigger names in a mega-deal. The Hawks need to open up cap space, so picks/prospects would be their ideal return. If this were GM mode in a video game, I'd be looking at the Stars and their #3 overall pick, and dangling Keith before the tread completely wears off his tires. The Stars also have Anaheim's first rounder from the Eaves deal. Obviously I'm just pulling this out of my ass, but silly season has begun.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

NHLTIM wrote:I'm starting to think that Vegas is gonna challenge for a playoff spot in their first year.
Depends which version of Marc-Andre Fleury shows up :D. It definitely seems like they're going to be in good shape to seriously contend in 3-5 years.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:I'm starting to think that Vegas is gonna challenge for a playoff spot in their first year.

Not with a first line of Lehtera centering Clarkson and Dustin Brown. :lol:

I don't know, that line would have some consistent speed, and could fool a lot of fast teams.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Schwartz-Tavares-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Stastny-??? (Perron this year)
Steen-Barbashev-Sobotka
Sanford-Bergy-Reaves
Paajarvi in the press box.

Complete the rumored Vegas-selecting-Lehtera with a 2nd thrown in for Vegas.
Sign Stastny to an extension at less $ to cover the period until Thompson is ready to be a 2C.
Deal/cut/don't resign as many glut forwards as possible (Jaskin, Brodziak, Yak, Upshall, etc.)
Trade 1st/D prospect/NHL center and/or wing to NYI to get Tavares. Sign Tavares to a crazy contract (1st year would have to be lower while Stastny is still making big bucks). Depending on who NYI takes in a Tavares deal (Stastny, Bergy, Fabbri, etc.) adjust from within rather than throwing money at Justin Williams.
Get younger, cheaper to make room for expensive high-end talent and Kyrou/Thompson etc. in another 2-3 years.

Leave the D alone. Bring Dunn or Walman along to replace JayBo when his contract's up. Leave the goalies alone.

bradleygt89 wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:

Not with a first line of Lehtera centering Clarkson and Dustin Brown. :lol:

I don't know, that line would have some consistent speed, and could fool a lot of fast teams.
:lol: A real devastating change up line. Put the defense to sleep waiting for them to all reach the blue line and skate right by them at 3 mph.

LeBrun/MAF: "Just to be clear, it doesn't necessarily mean Vegas is where he has to end up. He may end up there" #Pens #GoldenKnights 1260

LeBrun/MAF: "There's still, is my understanding, some trade scenarios that are on the table as well where he could end up somewhere else."

I know a couple of Western Conference Canadian teams that are in the market for a goaler.

Pigskin10-4 wrote:Schwartz-Tavares-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Stastny-??? (Perron this year)
Steen-Barbashev-Sobotka
Sanford-Bergy-Reaves
Paajarvi in the press box.

Complete the rumored Vegas-selecting-Lehtera with a 2nd thrown in for Vegas.
Sign Stastny to an extension at less $ to cover the period until Thompson is ready to be a 2C.
Deal/cut/don't resign as many glut forwards as possible (Jaskin, Brodziak, Yak, Upshall, etc.)
Trade 1st/D prospect/NHL center and/or wing to NYI to get Tavares. Sign Tavares to a crazy contract (1st year would have to be lower while Stastny is still making big bucks). Depending on who NYI takes in a Tavares deal (Stastny, Bergy, Fabbri, etc.) adjust from within rather than throwing money at Justin Williams.
Get younger, cheaper to make room for expensive high-end talent and Kyrou/Thompson etc. in another 2-3 years.

Leave the D alone. Bring Dunn or Walman along to replace JayBo when his contract's up. Leave the goalies alone.
Reallly doubt that Sanford beats out Paajarvi for a spot.

Dreger on Alex Galchenyuk:

“Just the rumors,” said Dreger. “You’re right, they won’t go away and it speaks to kind of the curious development of Galchenyuk with the Montreal Canadiens. Is he a center. Is he a winger. The stretches that he went through where he just couldn’t find his way. So the speculation comes from the belief that maybe his time is up there and maybe he needs a change. That’s not my belief, but I think some want to leap to that conclusion.

“I guess the only issue that I would have is is it a little soon. And what we know is that Marc Bergevin and the Montreal Canadiens desperately need an injection of offense. They need more scoring in their lineup. Well, what if that kid has it and he just needs a bit more time.

“I’m sure that there are some who are listening and countering, going, ‘Well, how much more time are you going to give him?’

“But nothing on the market yet. And that can change hour by hour, but nothing on the market yet tells me that he’s for sure in play.”

UMSLBlues12 wrote:If MAF ends up in Vegas, Calgary may very well end up re-signing Elliott, meaning we get another pick from them. I don't know of any better options for them out there.
That would be nice. Calgary has missed out on Darling, Bishop and potentially MAF. Weren't they close to a deal for Bishop last year too at the draft?

UMSLBlues12 wrote:If MAF ends up in Vegas, Calgary may very well end up re-signing Elliott, meaning we get another pick from them. I don't know of any better options for them out there.
I'd be surprised if they weren't trying to swing a deal for Antti Raanta. Can't imagine them trying again with Elliott.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Dreger on Alex Galchenyuk:

“Just the rumors,” said Dreger. “You’re right, they won’t go away and it speaks to kind of the curious development of Galchenyuk with the Montreal Canadiens. Is he a center. Is he a winger. The stretches that he went through where he just couldn’t find his way. So the speculation comes from the belief that maybe his time is up there and maybe he needs a change. That’s not my belief, but I think some want to leap to that conclusion.

“I guess the only issue that I would have is is it a little soon. And what we know is that Marc Bergevin and the Montreal Canadiens desperately need an injection of offense. They need more scoring in their lineup. Well, what if that kid has it and he just needs a bit more time.

“I’m sure that there are some who are listening and countering, going, ‘Well, how much more time are you going to give him?’

“But nothing on the market yet. And that can change hour by hour, but nothing on the market yet tells me that he’s for sure in play.”
I'm not saying a Galchenyuk-Tarasenko line would work out but it would be interesting to see.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Just for S&G's...If the Blues can clear Gunnar and Lehtera from the books, would you use that money to go after TJ Oshie? He's likely the best forward on the FA market and God knows the Blues need a RW.
I like Oshie. I don't think he gets enough credit for being able to credibly play on a good team's first line, first PP unit and first PK unit. But no, I'm not interested in paying him what he'll be able to command on July 1.

Dave's a mess wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Just for S&G's...If the Blues can clear Gunnar and Lehtera from the books, would you use that money to go after TJ Oshie? He's likely the best forward on the FA market and God knows the Blues need a RW.
I like Oshie. I don't think he gets enough credit for being able to credibly play on a good team's first line, first PP unit and first PK unit. But no, I'm not interested in paying him what he'll be able to command on July 1.
I think the Oshie of today is a much better player than he was with the Blues. I think the trade woke his ass up. Yeah, playing with two talented linemates didn't hurt, but he is a different player. I would love to have him back with the Blues. I think he would make us a much better team.

BUT - I think he is a bad long-term investment, so I would be petrified of anything beyond, say, 3 years with him. That clearly won't get it done, so probably not even worth discussing.

Matangama wrote:
Dave's a mess wrote:
I think the Oshie of today is a much better player than he was with the Blues. I think the trade woke his ass up. Yeah, playing with two talented linemates didn't hurt, but he is a different player. I would love to have him back with the Blues. I think he would make us a much better team.

BUT - I think he is a bad long-term investment, so I would be petrified of anything beyond, say, 3 years with him. That clearly won't get it done, so probably not even worth discussing.
Pretty much summed up my opinion. The trade shattered what I believe was pretty much a "untouchable" opinion of himself. Very much like when the Blue,s tired of the long running soap opera, shut the door on Hull and let him walk.

Best of luck to Oshie where ever he goes, but I have no interest in bringing him back here.