Re: So....What if the Blues never win the cup?

Nothing will change in my life regardless of them winning or never winning the cup. While a Cup win would be great for the franchise, it doesn't affect me personally, except for maybe a 15 minute cry in front of my family. Then it's back to normal for me.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Not the end of the world to me if they don't... plenty of good fans have shed their earthly bonds without having seen the Blues hoist the cup. Me, I'm more concerned with just seeing a fairly officiated contest, where the players on the ice decide the outcome and not the officials. It's gotten to the point with me, where I question my own sanity for watching something that's supposed to be a sport, but the outcome seems to be predetermined. The situation never was good, but it seems to me that it's gotten worse. For example, if a guy has one hand on his stick...well then, there must have been some kind of infraction, right??? a hold??? a hook??? or a slash??? or something??? right???.
I think that it would be refreshing, if the ref would skate to center ice, face the camera, turn on his mic and say "I didn't really see anything, but it's time for a league mandated power play....maybe, if you don't boo me too much, I'll even things up later...but don't count on it."

+1 to the posts above.

Of the four big sports I've been a fan of, I've watched my Steelers win multiple Superbowl championships, Cardinals win a few WS titles, but no national championship for Blues hockey or Mizzou basketball or football. I love the sports and the games, but I've gained perspective with age of the relevance in my own life, and how much I let the negativity of a loss or playoff/tournament failure affect me.

BTW, when I say things on here like "get over it" or it's obvious I'm drinking the Kool aid, it's more self talk than preaching. Venting on here does wonders for emotional stability ;)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

It wouldn't really effect me till I'm on my death bed. I don't know any different right now. The ending to the year has always been on a negative note so each year will be just another year where "there's always next year."
But when I'm dying I think it'll hurt quite a bit because of the time and money I've invested. More so time. The money was gonna be spent. Why not on my team.

They'll most likely win it within the next few decades but hockey is such an exciting & fast paced sport that it doesn't matter as much as other sports if they win it all.

I've spoken to MANY hockey fans over the years who say hockey reached its peak in the 80s to mid 90s but the Devils trap defense was the beginning of the end of the greatest hockey EVER.

But playoff hockey is still the most exciting sporting event out there even if it's not on the level as it was in the past.

CaptSMRT wrote:If all you watch hockey for is to see your team win the Cup...I'd get a new hobby. I love the Blues. I love the game. I am not going to stop doing either as long as I live.
spoken like a true blues fan.

also, pretty much my answer. i've accepted the fact that there is nothing i can do to influence this team, the coaches, or management, so it's not really up to me. i wouldn't feel personally responsible or anything if i'm on my death bed discussing how the blues never won a Cup.
FederkoSutterHunter wrote:I've spoken to MANY hockey fans over the years who say hockey reached its peak in the 80s to mid 90s but the Devils trap defense was the beginning of the end of the greatest hockey EVER.

But playoff hockey is still the most exciting sporting event out there even if it's not on the level as it was in the past.
i think this is selective memory talking, or that thing where time shapes how you remember things. at the time, it felt like the greatest hockey ever. then, the trap came along, and they remember it destroying the game. then, they never got over it. like guys that still compare every girl they go out with to their high school girlfriend. if you go back and watch some tape of old games, it looks like they are skating in molasses, and most hits were polite shoving. yes, far more (and better) fights, that part i agree with. but the on-ice product overall is better now than it has ever been. officiating just needs to catch up.

JMC-STL wrote:
BluesSK wrote:I hate the prospect of being buried wearing a Blues jersey when I'm dead because the team never won the Cup.
So which is it: The jersey, your death, or the team's futility? "A little of each" is an acceptable answer.
A little of each. ;)

Let's face it none of us is getting any younger. I've been discussing Blues hockey online with some of you guys since the late 90's and we're still waiting. :)

My wife doesn't get why I'm so fanatical about it but I think you guys understand.

I'm a die-hard NY Giants fan too and they've got 4 Superbowls but seeing the Blues win the Cup just once. Man, I want to see that.

CaptSMRT wrote:When ever people say they aren't fans of the Blues because they have never won anything all I can think is...you are a fan of watching people win things, and I am a hockey fan.
Ever since the NHL decided to add an overtime period then shootouts, we've ALL been fans of watching people win things - whether we like it or not.