GDT: Preds @ Blues, Rd 2 Gm 2, 7p

Game Notes: Game 2 vs. Nashville

The Blues rallied from a 3-1 third period deficit in Game 1 but ultimately fell when veteran Vernon Fiddler scored the game-winning goal with just over five minutes remaining in regulation. The Blues scored a pair of third period goals for the first time in the 2017 postseason in Game 1 and held a 3-2 edge in 5-on-5 scoring. The Blues have won six of their last eight home games against the Predators and have a 2-1 record in their last three Game 2s. St. Louis has also gone 2-1 in their last three series in which they lost Game 1.

What to Watch
Colton Parayko was a monster for the Blues in Game 1. The second-year pro scored his second goal of the postseason while recording 12 total shot attempts, including five on goal. Parayko also tallied a plus-3 rating for the second consecutive game. For his career, Parayko has accumulated 43 points (nine goals, 34 assists) and a plus-18 rating in 93 games at Scottrade Center (reg. + postseason).

Quick Hits
  • The Blues delivered a postseason-high 36 hits in Game 1, including 10 from Ryan Reaves
  • Jake Allen allowed just two even-strength goals in Game 1, maintaining the third-best even-strength save percentage (.960) this postseason
  • Jaden Schwartz has 23 points (eight goals, 15 assists) and a plus-16 rating over his last 25 games (reg. + postseason)
50th Anniversary Throwback Note
On this day in 1970, Jacques Plante recorded his 14th (and final) career playoff shutout, when he led the Blues to a 5-0 win over the Penguins, in St. Louis, in Game 5 of the Western Division Semi-Finals. Frank St. Marseille led the scoring with a hat trick.

Re: GDT: Preds @ Blues, Rd 2 Gm 2, 7p

Do these two things tonight and the outcome will change drastically.

1. DON'T let PK Subban launch unchallenged bombs from the point all night long.

2. Stay out of the penalty box whenever possible.

The outcome Wednesday was not what we needed, but the effort was there.

Keep smashing the Preds and success will follow.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Looking like Steen and Paajarvi have switched spots, per the morning skate lines. Either that or Paajarvi is coming out and Barbashev is coming in (hard to tell exactly since Steen isn't skating).
Sounds like it's the latter. Barbashev could be a nice little shot of life tonight.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

barnburner wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
The NHL has to be dreading a potential Sens/Preds final
If the Blues can't get there, I hope it turns out that way.

The finals would be so much more fun knowing Bettman was flirting with a stroke every game.
yeah, would be amusing as hell and i'll watch every game just to spite him.

better yet would be sens/oil.

T.C. wrote:
barnburner wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
The NHL has to be dreading a potential Sens/Preds final
If the Blues can't get there, I hope it turns out that way.

The finals would be so much more fun knowing Bettman was flirting with a stroke every game.
yeah, would be amusing as hell and i'll watch every game just to spite him.

better yet would be sens/oil.
The Oil have star power with McDavid. The average NHL fan couldn't name 5 total players on the Preds and Sens combined.
Just a Russian propaganda account

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Looking like Steen and Paajarvi have switched spots, per the morning skate lines. Either that or Paajarvi is coming out and Barbashev is coming in (hard to tell exactly since Steen isn't skating).
It's time for Steen to sit if he doesn't get on the scoreboard tonight.

Berglund needs to show up too.

Rinne will be tougher tonight. If the Blues don't have the advantage on special teams they won't win.

BluesSK wrote:
It's time for Steen to sit if he doesn't get on the scoreboard tonight.

Berglund needs to show up too.

Rinne will be tougher tonight. If the Blues don't have the advantage on special teams they won't win.

He's got 4 pts in 6 playoff games this year, good for second on the team. That line wasn't great last game but I don't think Steen is hurting the team at all. I'm waiting for Perron to show up on the scoresheet more than anyone.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

"oh no, the black guy" is an awful racist statement? fuck off hyper-sensitive fuckwits, it's a physical description. you want racism, dig back a couple years into the tweets subban was getting. shit, he probably still is. but describing him as "the black guy" when i believe he's the only black guy on the team is a perfectly accurate way to describe him.

T.C. wrote:
"oh no, the black guy" is an awful racist statement? fuck off hyper-sensitive fuckwits, it's a physical description. you want racism, dig back a couple years into the tweets subban was getting. shit, he probably still is. but describing him as "the black guy" when i believe he's the only black guy on the team is a perfectly accurate way to describe him.
Well first, the quote wasn't "oh no, the black guy" it was "The fucking black guy, ugh"

Legit one of the best guys in the NHL who shouldn't be reduced to "the fucking black guy." Of course the coward has since deleted his Twitter.

And yes, I'm sure he hears FAR worse. I'm not sure if it was him or Simmonds but one had a banana thrown at them.

T.C. wrote:
Context. If the Tweeter was merely describing Suppan's appearance, then why did he refer to his statement as a joke? If he meant it as a joke then he was obviously soliciting a reaction. You're right that people are overly sensitive, but making black/white jokes in a public forum is bad form. Kinda like using vulgar language when speaking to someone you've just met. It's disrespectful. I agree though that the outrage is a bit much. Tell the douchebag to take a hike and move on.

T.C. wrote:yes to both of those statements. the guy clearly panicked, wasn't expecting a response, let alone one that accused him of being a racist.

anyway, back on topic - i sure hope our guys figure out a way to stop subban tonight!
Yes, we digress.

Anyway, somehow this guy is already walking.

Adam Vingan‏ @AdamVingan
Kevin Fiala is already walking less than two days after surgery, seems to be in good spirits.

T.C. wrote:i have a feeling we differ in our definitions of "walking". hobbling on a splint and walking boot and crutches, maybe. no way he's walking.

Maybe, but it was his femur(thigh) bone that was broke which usually means a full leg cast and in a wheel chair for getting around, as far as I know.

He'll probably play game 5 at this rate.