Why is Schmaltz up?

Is he better off practicing with the Blues and sitting in the press box every game or playing regular mins down(up?) in Chicago?

I don't really get the point of him being the one up here.

Would much rather have the called up someone like James Wisniewski, a veteran, to sit in the pressbox and fill in if needed. Or hell, what about Chris Butler Chevrolet?

I don't get this decision.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Re: Why is Schmaltz up?

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Is he better off practicing with the Blues and sitting in the press box every game or playing regular mins down(up?) in Chicago?

I don't really get the point of him being the one up here.

Would much rather have the called up someone like James Wisniewski, a veteran, to sit in the pressbox and fill in if needed. Or hell, what about Chris Butler Chevrolet?

I don't get this decision.
Maybe they're thinking he's had his share of games in the AHL. He's got 113 under his belt. I'm okay with him finishing the year in St. Louis. Get him a little rest and some time around the big team. Get him in a game here and there... Less chance for injury.... works for me

Schmalz looks lost to me.

His play is not totally alarming, but it is on the ragged edge. It's probably not that far from what most rookie d-men resemble in their first games.
He may well settle down, and that may be why they are handling him gently.

Still, in videos from the bench he had a deer in the headlights look.

Obviously a lot can happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's moved in the offseason. He's the third best 23 year old defenseman on the roster right now. I'd flip him while he still has some value. If not, and he can't make the team out of camp next year with Dunn and Walman waiting in the wings, he's toast.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote:Obviously a lot can happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's moved in the offseason. He's the third best 23 year old defenseman on the roster right now. I'd flip him while he still has some value. If not, and he can't make the team out of camp next year with Dunn and Walman waiting in the wings, he's toast.
That's why I'd keep him up now and then flip him in the off-season. Just to see if something clicks.

39hurricane wrote:He played ok last night. I saw some good break outs and a few good pinches in the o zone.

Didn't see any glaring mistakes.
I missed most of the game last night, so that's good to hear. I think its smart getting him in against Arizona and again against Colorado tomorrow. If he performs well I'm sure Yeo & Co will be less hesitant to put him in against real NHL teams.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Beatoni12 wrote:I thought he played really solid last night. Much more comfortable than his first two games.
For sure. Sold indeed for minutes played. Better, even if just for practice and environment for him to be here. He isn't going to 'learn' anything else in the AHL, IMHO. Should be in tomorrow also vs the Avs I believe.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:
Beatoni12 wrote:I thought he played really solid last night. Much more comfortable than his first two games.
For sure. Sold indeed for minutes played. Better, even if just for practice and environment for him to be here. He isn't going to 'learn' anything else in the AHL, IMHO. Should be in tomorrow also vs the Avs I believe.
Yeah, I'm a big believer in learning in the AHL, but after 100 games down there, practicing with the Blues is probably a better experience for him at this point.

Really crisp passer from what I can tell.