Re: The Deadline thread

Turk Sanderson wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:Shattenkirk would accept trade to Leafs or Montreal.

Link
Too depressing to even think about.
Other teams draft first over all and they end up with franchise players...the Blues do it and get an asset they lose because they can't afford him. FUCK.

Toronto or the Rangers seem to make the most sense.

Tampa is 4 points behind as well as has played two more games than Toronto for the final wild card slot. I don't see them in the rental market.

It'll be interested to see what happens when the time comes that Toronto has to move one of their big 3 young stud forwards.
Just a Russian propaganda account

CaptSMRT wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:Shattenkirk would accept trade to Leafs or Montreal.

Link
Too depressing to even think about.
Other teams draft first over all and they end up with franchise players...the Blues do it and get an asset they lose because they can't afford him. FUCK.
I think it also has to do with having Petro and Parayko on the roster as well.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote: Too depressing to even think about.
I think it also has to do with having Petro and Parayko on the roster as well.
Next to Vova, he's probably the most dangerous weapon on the roster. I'd rather lose some of the under-performers.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Next to Vova, he's probably the most dangerous weapon on the roster. I'd rather lose some of the under-performers.
Dollar wise, what would you consider his appropriate value per year?
I think its reasonable 22 gets right around 7 MM per year. What kind of term he gets at 28 is another question. He gets that kind of money for 5 years easy, 6 probably, not the full 7.

39hurricane wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote: Next to Vova, he's probably the most dangerous weapon on the roster. I'd rather lose some of the under-performers.
I think its reasonable 22 gets right around 7 MM per year. What kind of term he gets at 28 is another question. He gets that kind of money for 5 years easy, 6 probably, not the full 7.
Yeah, I'd say 6 years at 7 mil per is about what I expect. And I'm not sure he's worth that.

Ozzies09tc wrote:What about a front loaded contract

7mil/yr 3 yrs
6mil/yr 3 yrs
4mil/yr 2 yrs

5.8mil/yr cap hit
Serious question. What would it benefit to have an nhl contract front loaded. Isn't the focus of most big money deals for players the overall money. The team is the one affected by the cap hit. MLB/NFL teams benefit more so from front loaded deals where the cap hit affects their cap space where as in the nhl it's the average.
Also, isn't it possible for him to get an equal or greater deal from another team on a 7 year term
Not saying this is a bad idea at all. Just seems he'd be signing a team friendly contract here.

Ozzies09tc wrote:What about a front loaded contract

7mil/yr 3 yrs
6mil/yr 3 yrs
4mil/yr 2 yrs

5.8mil/yr cap hit
I don't know what incentive he would have to sign this deal when he's a few months from getting 7$ mill for 7 years.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

39hurricane wrote:
Yeah, I'd say 6 years at 7 mil per is about what I expect. And I'm not sure he's worth that.
Those figures sound about right to me. I really like Shatty, and losing his offense is going to hurt, big time. On the other hand, the Blues can't afford to shell out that kind of contract for a one dimensional player. Someone else will, but the Blues should not. You can't have two soft defensive liabilities among your top 4 dman pairings.

It would give him the money he's likely to receive, and as he gets older and his play drops his pay drops.

Keeps his cap low(er) allowing us more wiggle room to keep him/easier to move him for more return
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Turk Sanderson wrote:I may be way off, and you know how much I like him, but I really don't see anyone paying him $7M/6yrs. Considering his age, I think $6M/6yrs is more like it. Looking at all the rumored teams, it would either really upset their salary structures, or it would just be too tough to fit in long term.
http://nhlnumbers.com/
He's a defenseman who some teams do see as a first pairing guy in UFA. I'm sure a team is out there that will throw a stupid contract at him, and he and his agent know that. Will it be us?

Ozzies09tc wrote:It would give him the money he's likely to receive, and as he gets older and his play drops his pay drops.

Keeps his cap low(er) allowing us more wiggle room to keep him/easier to move him for more return
I get the logic from the team side, but not the player. Why take that rather than someone who will pay you an average of around 7 million for 6-7 years? There hasn't really been a player like Shattenkirk hit UFA in the past few years. The closest comp I could find with minimal research was Matt Niskanen. He got 5.75M for 7 years without anywhere near Shatty's track record. I think 7/7 will be an easy get for Shatty, so I don't think there's any hope for a hometown discount.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Turk Sanderson wrote:I may be way off, and you know how much I like him, but I really don't see anyone paying him $7M/6yrs. Considering his age, I think $6M/6yrs is more like it. Looking at all the rumored teams, it would either really upset their salary structures, or it would just be too tough to fit in long term.
http://nhlnumbers.com/
Offensive D-men are a hot commodity in the league right now.

Last year Jason Demers got 5 years at 4.5 mil per
The year before Mike Green got 3 years at 6 mil per

I think Shattenkirk is looking at 7 mil per and maybe more if there's a bidder war.

39hurricane wrote:
Its not what hes worth that matters. It's what GMs are willing to pay.
And thus the reason another lockout is coming...
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

I guess the question really comes down to two things:

1. Can one of Parayko, Shatty, or Petro be truelly comfortable and effective on the left side? So far, they haven't shown that when played that way. Seems most players and coaches prefer the LHD/RHD pairings

2. Instead of trading Shatty, can you trade someone else to make room, including either Petro or Parayko? Is the team better with Shatty on it than anyone else you'd have to trade, now or in the near future?

My answer to both, regardless of how I feel about Shatty, cause I like him on the team, is no. He's a good team player, but from words he's said, he wants to go UFA and make his $$$$. He'll get it. Trade him for at least a #1 pick and prospect, and I'll be happier than if we lost him for zero to make a short playoff run (If we somehow win the SC due to Shatty staying, I'll immediately eat crow ;) ).
"Do Only Good Everyday"

My take is Parayko and Petro are your two RHD in the top 4. Shatty thus is on the third pairing. Shatty will get a boatload of money in his next deal. Is he worth that kind of money to a cap strapped Blues team? Blues defense is one of the best in the league, and the issues this year stem from forwards and goaltending.

I don't like acquiring goalies in the middle of the season.

I think the best move is to trade Shatty for a forward. You deal a luxury for a necessity. imo

You don't trade Petro to make room for Shattenkirk.

Petro has stepped up his offensive game this year and is far better in his own zone. I don't want Shattenkirk or Parayko having to face the other teams top line each game. Definitely never on Shattenkirk for that, and not for another couple years on Parayko.

The second you trade Petro you're immediately back in the market for a top pairing d-man. That and you already have him locked up long term.