What's Columbus's secret?

16 wins in a row, one shy of the NHL record
Current Presidents trophy team
3rd most goals scored
1st in goals against( The Blues have given up 37 more goals than Columbus)

All of that and I'd bet most NHL fans couldn't name 3 players on their team.

JD always seemed like a great guy and did an amazing job of reconnecting the organization and the fan base, it's good to see his team and the city of Columbus finally have some success.

I honestly don't think I've seen them play a game this year other than versus the Blues, what the heck has finally clicked with them?
Just a Russian propaganda account

Re: What's Columbus's secret?

Come on guys. If this were the Blues on a 16 game winning streak you would already be planning the parade down Market street!

I mean you wouldn't be negative about it like you are with Columbus.

If they can stay relatively injury free they can be a real danger in the playoffs. Remember their goalie got the most praise at the World Cup of Hockey and made some mind boggling saves!

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Come on guys. If this were the Blues on a 16 game winning streak you would already be planning the parade down Market street!

I mean you wouldn't be negative about it like you are with Columbus. ...
It's called: "Being a fan." It's refreshing, in moderation. You should try it out, in moderation.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Come on guys. If this were the Blues on a 16 game winning streak you would already be planning the parade down Market street!

If they can stay relatively injury free they can be a real danger in the playoffs. Remember their goalie got the most praise at the World Cup of Hockey and made some mind boggling saves!
Why should we be excited? If anybody should understand that regular season success is meaningless in the playoffs, its Blues fans. When, and if, Columbus has playoff success, then they will get the respect they have earned.

barnburner wrote:

Why should we be excited? If anybody should understand that regular season success is meaningless in the playoffs, its Blues fans. When, and if, Columbus has playoff success, then they will get the respect they have earned.

Haha, I'm sure we'd find a way to be negative about something if the Blues won 16 in a row, but I'm not sure why I should be excited about another team in a different conference doing so. As for how they original question, the secret has been great goaltending and an unreal Power Play. Both surely won't keep up at their current rate, but I think it's unlikely they'll fall precipitously like some expect. Still wouldn't trust them too much in the playoffs though.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

yeah, secret is bob. i applaud this regime, though - the balls it took to let nash go, who was penciled in as a franchise player, someone to build your team around, is paying dividends. for the polar opposite of what happens, see the caps, who are a bit handcuffed by ovi. you have to give to get, and JD had long-term vision to do it.

NHL goalies are the weirdest humans alive. How do some go from just average whatever goalies and suddenly turn into world beaters(Bob, Dubynk, Elliott)...Then you have guys that look like world beaters and suddenly fall off horribly (Schneider, MAF)?

It might be the most unpredictable position in all of sports.

Waiting for Allen to have his world beater year.
Just a Russian propaganda account

UMSLBlues12 wrote:https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stat ... tage/2016/

CBJ has a pretty high PDO, indicating they've been pretty lucky. Compare CBJ's current PDO of 1.046 to last year's leaders in PDO, the Caps, whose was 1.017, and its pretty clear that they're gonna come back down to earth a bit.

Unless Bob keeps playing out of his mind good, that is.
Using straight PDO as an indicator of "luck" has always bothered me. You know who has a top 5 PDO nearly every year? Montreal and NYR. If you have a great goalie your PDO will always be high if you have an average team shooting %. Having said that, Columbus' 1.046 isn't a little high, it's extremely high. That number will come down, but that just means they'll lose an occasional game while still being a very good team, not revert back to being the BJs of years past.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:NHL goalies are the weirdest humans alive. How do some go from just average whatever goalies and suddenly turn into world beaters(Bob, Dubynk, Elliott)...Then you have guys that look like world beaters and suddenly fall off horribly (Schneider, MAF)?

It is indeed weird. Remember Brent Johnson with 3 consecutive shutouts in the playoffs? If ever a guy seemed ready to become the guy, it was him. Then the opposition figured out that he didn't like to get close to the post, and he could never adjust. Roman Turek - During the regular season, he looked like he was going to be one of the top goalies in the league for years to come. Then one little hop skip and a jump in the playoffs, destroyed him.

Place kickers in the nfl sometimes follow the same strange pattern as nhl goalies.

barnburner wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:NHL goalies are the weirdest humans alive. How do some go from just average whatever goalies and suddenly turn into world beaters(Bob, Dubynk, Elliott)...Then you have guys that look like world beaters and suddenly fall off horribly (Schneider, MAF)?

It is indeed weird. Remember Brent Johnson with 3 consecutive shutouts in the playoffs? If ever a guy seemed ready to become the guy, it was him. Then the opposition figured out that he didn't like to get close to the post, and he could never adjust. Roman Turek - During the regular season, he looked like he was going to be one of the top goalies in the league for years to come. Then one little hop skip and a jump in the playoffs, destroyed him.

Place kickers in the nfl sometimes follow the same strange pattern as nhl goalies.
Ed Staniowski

Waiting for Allen to have his world beater year.
Jonathan Quick was UNBEATABLE one of those years the Kings won the Cup but he's been up & down since then. Some nights he's be AWFUL & even gotten yanked!

So yeah, goalies can almost be bipolar! Going from awesome one night to average to awful on another night!

Are you ever not a dicktard?