Re: Ben Bishop free agency

With the expansion draft coming up, expect any team with 2 solid goalies to move 1 of them by the deadline. I predict the Blues will be on he receiving end of one of these deals (for Shattenkirk?). The newly acquired goalie will be so-so wearing the Note.... But Allen.... he'll be left unprotected, picked up in the expansion draft and within 3 years be one of the top 5 goalies in the NHL. And so it goes...

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:He is having a down year by his standards and now he is hurt. I'm wondering if MAYBE the Blues would possibly get him for a little bit cheaper than expected and then trade Jake Allen? Or am I living in a dream world?
His injuries are becoming a concern, and with Husso on the rise in the system, I don't think that I'd risk the big bucks on Bishop at this point.

I think Armstrong will probably be pretty hesitant to deal for a UFA goalie after the Ryan Miller ordeal. That deal made sooooooo much sense at the time but turned into a disaster. Pretty confident we win that Hawks series with Halak or Elliott in net.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Husso is no sure thing and I don't think you simply stand pat just because you think you may have a goalie of the future in a few seasons. The Blues don't exactly rush young goalies.

I think the question may boil down to, who would you rather have in net the next 4 seasons for the Blues?

Jets, Coyotes, Avalanche, Hurricanes, Knights. A lot teams could be in the market for someone like Allen.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Husso is no sure thing and I don't think you simply stand pat just because you think you may have a goalie of the future in a few seasons. The Blues don't exactly rush young goalies.

I think the question may boil down to, who would you rather have in net the next 4 seasons for the Blues?

Jets, Coyotes, Avalanche, Hurricanes, Knights. A lot teams could be in the market for someone like Allen.
You don't want to sink a bunch of money into a player who's getting injured a lot either. I'd rather have Moose back for a couple of years until whichever one of the young goalies in the system are ready.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Husso is no sure thing and I don't think you simply stand pat just because you think you may have a goalie of the future in a few seasons. The Blues don't exactly rush young goalies.

I think it depends on the player and contract. You don't go out and get someone with a long contract or who will be up for one, when you think you have a future stud in the minors. If you think this is the year and you just need a goalie to make it happen than you go get a UFA to be or someone with short time left on their contract and know you have the future number one waiting.

This is Allen's first year as a starter. He is going to have ups and downs it is part of the process when learning how to be a starter. Also the team infront of him has been very inconsistent. It takes awhile to develop into a true number one. Not that long ago there were a lot of questions about Price. Let Allen play and learn. This team is not winning the cup this year if we go past the first round that would be great for this team.

I don't think there is anyway the Blues go after Bishop. Injuries are beginning to have major impacts on his career. The Blues are also not in a position to pay a goalie 5 million a year.

Keep Allen and play him until Husso or Binnington take his spot. Allen has the ability to be a very good goalie in the NHL.

Dave's a mess wrote:I think Armstrong will probably be pretty hesitant to deal for a UFA goalie after the Ryan Miller ordeal. That deal made sooooooo much sense at the time but turned into a disaster. Pretty confident we win that Hawks series with Halak or Elliott in net.
This x 1000

I like Bishop. A lot.

But I wouldn't bring him in and get rid of Allen.

Too many injuries. As he gets older, he will slow down. And for someone his size there will be big holes that NHLers will exploit.

I would pass unless he is signing a bargain deal to come home.......which he won't.