Tage Thompson has looked great in WJT practise games

I really like what I saw from Thompson both vs. Finland (3 goals), and Sweden(2 goals). From what I've seen of him in the WJ practise games, he looks like he's got the tools to be an effective scorer on The NHL level, if he keeps on his development track. He looks like he's got very good offensive sense, a decent shot, good acceleration, sees the ice well, reads the play and anticipates well, know how to get to the open places, knows when to shoot. He's athletic, and Big. That pick looks like a winner, to me.

Admittedly, these are only practise games. But, I sure like what I've seen, so far. And, he's supposed to be a good learner, very coachable, and have a good work ethic.

So, I have high hopes for him, that he's a late bloomer, and will more than justify drafting him at 26. I'm feeling really good about his being our first choice now.

Re: Tage Thompson has looked great in WJT practise games

blue to the bone wrote:How's his speed? I know he's no pavel bure but does he have cement skates or is he a fluid for a big guy?
I've only read what people thought of his skating last year so I'm curious if his skating is as mediocre as they say.
He doesn't look like his feet are in cement. He looks pretty fluid for a big guy. I'd guess that he has about average speed. His acceleration looked pretty good when going towards the net.

Robb_K wrote:
blue to the bone wrote:How's his speed? I know he's no pavel bure but does he have cement skates or is he a fluid for a big guy?
I've only read what people thought of his skating last year so I'm curious if his skating is as mediocre as they say.
He doesn't look like his feet are in cement. He looks pretty fluid for a big guy. I'd guess that he has about average speed. His acceleration looked pretty good when going towards the net.
How is his acceleration compared to someone comparable in size (height-wise), say Berglund?

Theiceman wrote:
Robb_K wrote:
How is his acceleration compared to someone comparable in size (height-wise), say Berglund?
I'd say Thompson's acceleration looks significantly better than Berglund's. But part of that may be his offensive sense. He makes decisions very quickly.

I like to hear/read all the reports of the kid being "in the right place", "Already at the correct spot for..." That tells me he has hockey sense! That will carry you far in the NHL if you are just avg or above avg skater.
I like to hear that he makes quick decisions that are correct too... that tells me the game has slowed for him already, and points back to that hockey sense. He just gets it. I hope that the stories of his coachability and work ethic are all true! That means we have one helluva pick who will be ready sooner rather than later!!

Nice work Blues!

AttackLemmings wrote:I like to hear/read all the reports of the kid being "in the right place", "Already at the correct spot for..." That tells me he has hockey sense! That will carry you far in the NHL if you are just avg or above avg skater.
I like to hear that he makes quick decisions that are correct too... that tells me the game has slowed for him already, and points back to that hockey sense. He just gets it. I hope that the stories of his coachability and work ethic are all true! That means we have one helluva pick who will be ready sooner rather than later!!

Nice work Blues!
Agreed.

We need to hold onto Bill Armstrong at all costs. He has GM written all over him.