What do you give 17?

Here's Jaden's ELC's to date:

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jaden-schwartz

Here's his player page:

https://www.nhl.com/player/jaden-schwartz-8475768

quick line:

240 70 87 157

157/240 makes Jaden a 0.65 ppg player

Army out right said he was the priority going forward, even before signing Backes the Captain to an extension. He can't get Tank, Petro or Stas money, that's just too high. And he has injury history that has limited his regular season games played. He could get Steen like money or just about there.

6 years / 5 mill (and a NTC / NMC if he wants)

What say you Blues fans?

Re: What do you give 17?

I wouldn't go any higher than 6 years or $5.5M per year. I think he is a great player, but I don't see him being any better than the 3rd or 4th best player on the team at any time during the next six years, so there is no way he is getting Tarasenko money. As far as my prediction, I predict that he ends up going to arbitration, elects a 1 year deal and winds up getting $4M on that one year deal.

Dreger was quoted as saying Schwartz is looking for a deal similar to the one Tarasenko got. I find that believable since he has already held out once. This is very concerning. If it's true he can get bent. If he persists he can turn himself into an asset instead of a roster player.

SickMittsRomKnee wrote:Dreger was quoted as saying Schwartz is looking for a deal similar to the one Tarasenko got. I find that believable since he has already held out once. This is very concerning. If it's true he can get bent. If he persists he can turn himself into an asset instead of a roster player.
yeah, that's ridiculous. steen money is fine. vova money is silly.

It would be interesting to see how much of a gambler Schwartz is. He could take a cap friendly 1 year contract, hoping to stay healthy, and put together a big year, including solid post season production, then go for the big deal the following year.
If his playoff production had been better, I'd have no problem with a 6 or 6.5 mill for 5 years. As it is, it worries me.

Ankle injuries are funny. It took Oshie how long to recover from his injury and I don't think he is the same player even today. Jaden was noticeably less effective after coming back and it remains to be seen if those effects are short or long-term. I wouldn't offer him a long-term contract with much more than $5M AAV. I think it's more likely to be another prove-it bridge deal.

RNH 23 year old lefty Center

https://www.nhl.com/player/ryan-nugent-hopkins-8476454

313 77 145 222

or 222/313 = 0.71 ppg player

JS 17 is a 24 year old LW

240 70 87 157

157/240 = 0.67 ppg player

RNH gets twice as many assists as goals. JS is pretty even goals / assists.

The Blues are a highly structured defensive team. EDM is a high flying speed team with no structure or defense. Could RNH be the true #1 center for Tank, getting him to 50 goals? That's the question. Then he would be worth that 6MM/year

39hurricane wrote:RNH 23 year old lefty Center

https://www.nhl.com/player/ryan-nugent-hopkins-8476454

313 77 145 222

or 222/313 = 0.71 ppg player

JS 17 is a 24 year old LW

240 70 87 157

157/240 = 0.67 ppg player

RNH gets twice as many assists as goals. JS is pretty even goals / assists.

The Blues are a highly structured defensive team. EDM is a high flying speed team with no structure or defense. Could RNH be the true #1 center for Tank, getting him to 50 goals? That's the question. Then he would be worth that 6MM/year
I like RNH over JS simply because of production on that EDM team... Imagine him with some structure and accountability. He would dish 'Senko till Vova's arms fell off from shooting. He is younger and a center that produces(As he has) isn't going to get cheaper in 3 years, but that 6M will stay the same. Bridge deal for 4-5 for JS and then a contract for 6-7 or more if he produces will handcuff us longer...
Unfortunately we know what JS does in playoffs... he pulls a Demitra and goes poof into the night.

I like RNH instead of JS at this point.

Drubilly wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Schwartz is moved this weekend.
I would've thought it was absurd even a month ago, but Armstrong is far from afraid of a blockbuster and has surprised us with deals before (EJ-Col comes to mind). If there's any truth to the whole "Tarasenko money" thing aside from negotiation posturing, it's not crazy. I still think its highly unlikely, but aside from a Tarasenko trade, nothing* would shock me today.

*Something will probably happen that shocks me today.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I can't help but think Army might be out of patience with him and/or his camp. Am I foolish in thinking a team choosing 8-11 might swap their pick + for him? We can still move Shatty for a pick somewhere in that range, although I'm fixated on PLD.
We still have the cash to keep Backes then and sign Lucic to replace 17.
"suck a dick Stan Lee"

Drubilly wrote:I forgot to add a quasi sarcastic emoji after the Lucic mention. I think he's a major asshat but he'd be great in the playoffs for us.
Hardest of hard passes on Lucic. Inconsistent, best days behind him, wants a crazy deal, and is rumored to be a not good guy in a way that can hurt a locker room. Let Vancouver overpay for him thank you very much!
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote:
Drubilly wrote:I forgot to add a quasi sarcastic emoji after the Lucic mention. I think he's a major asshat but he'd be great in the playoffs for us.
Hardest of hard passes on Lucic. Inconsistent, best days behind him, wants a crazy deal, and is rumored to be a not good guy in a way that can hurt a locker room. Let Vancouver overpay for him thank you very much!
if he gets traded last, does he get a new car?