Re: Trade Season Begins

I listen to Eklund ONLY for the entertainment value since there isn't a lot of hockey streaming. His announcement on this deal..."This just in...

The Blackhawks have traded Bickell and Teravainen to Carolina in a HUGE move to free up Cap space...The Hawks NEVER get Cap space without a reason... I am told that one of the teams Malkin would accept a trade to is....Chicago...

The Plot thickens.."

I about died laughing. Malkin lands there if they want to only dress 3 lines per game. Good lord.

Wow. That is steep. Hurricanes just got a good deal, imo. Just one more year of a bloated Bickell contract, and the Canes could honestly use some size and physicality. Definitely worth it. I like what the Canes are doing. They have some really nice pieces to build around.

LrdStnly wrote:I listen to Eklund ONLY for the entertainment value since there isn't a lot of hockey streaming. His announcement on this deal..."This just in...

The Blackhawks have traded Bickell and Teravainen to Carolina in a HUGE move to free up Cap space...The Hawks NEVER get Cap space without a reason... I am told that one of the teams Malkin would accept a trade to is....Chicago...

The Plot thickens.."

I about died laughing. Malkin lands there if they want to only dress 3 lines per game. Good lord.
So now we know what Eklund calls his penis. TMI

LrdStnly wrote:I listen to Eklund ONLY for the entertainment value since there isn't a lot of hockey streaming. His announcement on this deal..."This just in...

The Plot thickens.."

God, I wish it was true. Malkin looked slow and disinterested for most of the playoffs. I thought he was downright shitty in the first 3 rounds, though did show some life in the finals. Still, he has 6 years left on his contract at $9.5M per year. I'd love for the Hawks to choke on that. But like you say, not even slightly realistic. Fucking Eklund.......

The Plot thickens.."

If they did that they could literally have 2/3 of their cap (nearly $49M) on the ice at one time:

Malkin (9.5) - Toews (10.5) - Kane (10.5)
Keith (5.5) - Seabrook (6.9)
Crawford (6)

Things are heating up:

-Rights to Jimmy Vescey traded from Nashville to Buffalo for a third.
-Anaheim trades Freddie Andersen to Toronto for last pick of first round, and second round pick next year.
-Sounds like the Rangers are trading Yandle's negotiating rights to Florida. Haven't heard return yet.

There was some chatter about Boston talking to the Blues about Shattenkirk as well. Nice to see the ball start rolling already this week.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Oilers and Bruins are apparently calling about Shattenkirk. There are a few pieces there I'd be okay with from Edmonton, nothing really jumps out at me from Boston though.

LeBrun also said teams are calling about Elliott. Pretty good situation there--can keep him and have a good cheap goaltending tandem for another year, or trade him if someone wants him bad enough that they put an insane offer out there.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Oilers and Bruins are apparently calling about Shattenkirk. There are a few pieces there I'd be okay with from Edmonton, nothing really jumps out at me from Boston though.

LeBrun also said teams are calling about Elliott. Pretty good situation there--can keep him and have a good cheap goaltending tandem for another year, or trade him if someone wants him bad enough that they put an insane offer out there.
That's interesting about Elliott. I like having the tandem in place, but with Andersen just bringing in a first and a second round pick, you have to at least consider it.

Dave's a mess wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:Oilers and Bruins are apparently calling about Shattenkirk. There are a few pieces there I'd be okay with from Edmonton, nothing really jumps out at me from Boston though.

That's interesting about Elliott. I like having the tandem in place, but with Andersen just bringing in a first and a second round pick, you have to at least consider it.
If it's the difference between retaining a key piece of the puzzle, Backes, Brouwer or losing them, I'd certainly consider it.

Doug Glatt wrote:Would Elliott bring in something similar to what Andersen did?
I'd think maybe a little less due to his only having a year left on his contract. On the other hand he just had a very good playoff run and teams are crazy for goalies that perform in the playoffs.

Dave's a mess wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:Would Elliott bring in something similar to what Andersen did?
I'd think maybe a little less due to his only having a year left on his contract. On the other hand he just had a very good playoff run and teams are crazy for goalies that perform in the playoffs.
Halak is a perfect example of that...lol.

I'm fine shopping Elliott while he's hot. Calgary is looking. You could package him with Shattenkirk to Edmonton. I agree with a previous comment that Boston doesn't really have anything screaming "trade them Shattenkirk!"

I'd expect Army to make a move in the next couple days.

Dregger says he knows the Bruins offered at least a 1st rounder for Shattenkirk. There are also reports that the Blues are making an effort to extend Shattenkirk. Looks like if they can't get an extension done now they will trade him I assume.

Have to wonder if getting the Bruins first pick (14) for Shattenkirk could lead to a package of 14, 28, and a D prospect for Edmonton's 4th overall.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Dregger says he knows the Bruins offered at least a 1st rounder for Shattenkirk. There are also reports that the Blues are making an effort to extend Shattenkirk. Looks like if they can't get an extension done now they will trade him I assume.

Have to wonder if getting the Bruins first pick (14) for Shattenkirk could lead to a package of 14, 28, and a D prospect for Edmonton's 4th overall.
He also mentioned Toronto, they do have a plethora of young centers.

I bet the Blues don't want to make any trades/signings until they hear whether or not the NHLPA decides to use the cap escalator for next season. With a cap budget as tight as the Blues have, knowing an exact number for the cap is crucial. I think I heard they'll be announcing whether or not they've decided to use the escalator in the next day or two. At that point maybe trades perk back up after yesterday's fleury.

Dave's a mess wrote:
Dave's a mess wrote:I bet the Blues don't want to make any trades/signings until they hear whether or not the NHLPA decides to use the cap escalator for next season. With a cap budget as tight as the Blues have, knowing an exact number for the cap is crucial. I think I heard they'll be announcing whether or not they've decided to use the escalator in the next day or two. At that point maybe trades perk back up after yesterday's flurry.
Is there any good reason the NHLPA would NOT exercise the 5% increase option?