Re: Vegas Expansion official

T.C. wrote:oh good, 31 teams. and fantastic ice in vegas, i'm sure. but hey, expansion draft, get ready for bouwmeester!
The scheduling and such with 31 teams will certainly be weird.

On the ice though, the ice shouldn't actually be too bad I don't think. What makes the ice bad isn't heat, its humidity (with in some places, like FL, go hand in hand). Thats why ice at the STC sucks. But I've actually read that the ice in Arizona is surprisingly good because of how dry it is, so I'd expect it to be similar in Vegas.

I hope this is just a step toward 32. The symmetry of 32 is so much better. I'd love to see four conferences of 8 teams, with the top for teams of each conferences making the playoffs, seeded 1-4, followed by the four conference champions reseeded 1-4.

Also, I hope they've thought through salary cap-era expansion. The league will need to do something to prevent league-wide salary-dump. Otherwise the new team will have no choice but to take on a bunch of dead weight, and teams with bad contracts will be rewarded with get-out-of-jail free cards.

The Blues have some dead weight, but they've generally been more responsible than other teams, and I have a feeling that allowing everyone to dump salaries would help other teams more than it would help the Blues.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
T.C. wrote:oh good, 31 teams. and fantastic ice in vegas, i'm sure. ...
... On the ice though, the ice shouldn't actually be too bad I don't think. What makes the ice bad isn't heat, its humidity (with in some places, like FL, go hand in hand). Thats why ice at the STC sucks. But I've actually read that the ice in Arizona is surprisingly good because of how dry it is, so I'd expect it to be similar in Vegas.
The ECHL's Las Vegas Wranglers were able to sustain a snow storm during their "Indoor Winter Classic" in early January 2013. So I imagine with the NHL ice gurus at their disposal, the T-Mobile Arena staff will be able to keep the rink in tip-top shape.

JMC-STL wrote:
blueslifer wrote:So what is the expansion draft criteria if they're just adding 1 team? Is it 8 forwards, 2 D, and 1 goalie?
Chris Johnston of Sportsnet provided this expansion draft scenario information a few days ago.
Each team will be allowed to protect seven forwards, three defencemen and one goalie – a breakdown that has remained constant since Daly first outlined the potential draft process to reporters in March.

Thanks, appreciate the link.

Dave's a mess wrote:
insideout wrote:Can teams expose players with no-trade or no-move clauses? Seems kind of screwy if they can't.
I believe they can expose players with no-trade clauses but not players with no-move clauses. Seems fair.
Which, if that is the case, I imagine JBo will be exposed

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expands-to ... -281010682
In addition, the NHL announced the rules for the expansion draft that will take place next summer to create the Las Vegas team.

Las Vegas must select one player from each of the existing 30 teams, including at least 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goalies.

It must select a minimum of 20 players who have existing contracts that carry through the 2017-18 season and the average annual value of the total contracts it takes on must be at least 60 percent of the 2016-17 season salary-cap limit, which is $73 million.

The earliest Las Vegas can buy out any of the contracts it takes on is the summer of 2018.

The existing 30 teams will have the option to protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters regardless of position and one goalie from the expansion draft.

All players with "no movement" clauses in their contracts at the time of the expansion draft must be protected and will count toward their team's protection limits unless the player agrees to waive his no-movement clause.

Teams have to submit their protection lists by 5 p.m. ET on June 17, 2017. Las Vegas has to submit its selections for the expansion draft by 5 p.m. ET on June 20. The results of the expansion draft will be released publicly on June 21.

All forwards and defensemen exposed for the draft must be under contract for the 2017-18 season. Teams must expose a minimum of one defenseman and two forwards who played 40 or more games in the 2016-17 season or 70 or more games in the previous two seasons.

Goalies exposed for the draft can either be under contract for the 2017-18 season or scheduled to become a restricted free agent in the summer of 2017. In order to expose a goalie entering RFA status, the team must extend him his qualifying offer before submitting its protection list.

All first- and second-year pros and all unsigned draft picks are exempt from the expansion draft and will not have to be protected.

Las Vegas will be inserted into the NHL Draft Lottery with the same odds as the team that finishes with the third fewest points in the 2016-17 season. It will be guaranteed to have no lower than the No. 6 pick in the 2017 NHL Draft and will own the third pick in each subsequent round.

Fabbri, Parayko, and Edmundson will both be 3rd year pros at that point (going into their third season--that's what that means right?) so would have to be protected...assuming we'd protect 3 defensemen, you'd have to think we'd protect Petro, Parayko, and one of Gunnar or Edmundson (assuming Shattenkirk is gone).

Then forwards....probably too soon to guess at who would be here and would be for sure protected. I'd bet good money they leave Stastny and Lehtera unprotected if they're both still here.

T.C. wrote:kind of bums me out that they are respecting "no movement" clauses, but to not do that would completely fuck players, so i get it. was hoping to see jblo on there. :)
I believe JBo has a no trade clause, not a no movement clause. Which means he could still be exposed by how I'm reading the rules.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
T.C. wrote:kind of bums me out that they are respecting "no movement" clauses, but to not do that would completely fuck players, so i get it. was hoping to see jblo on there. :)
I believe JBo has a no trade clause, not a no movement clause. Which means he could still be exposed by how I'm reading the rules.
well, hopefully he won't be here this time next year regardless.

Well for a 1/30th share of 500 million dollars I think the Blues can afford to give up a marginal player.

I'm not worried about losing a game-changer.

I think it's going to work in Vegas. There are going to be a lot of hardcore fans of other teams,especially from northern regions, going there for games and if they can develop a solid local fan base it should be a success.

BluesSK wrote:... I think it's going to work in Vegas. There are going to be a lot of hardcore fans of other teams,especially from northern regions, going there for games and if they can develop a solid local fan base it should be a success.
With "more than 14,000 deposits for season tickets," there oughta be a pretty wide selection of seats on the after-market for many of the games. So I think they'll be hosting noticeable contingents of fans most nights who are dressed in visiting team colors. It'll be kinda like Blackhawks @ Blues game crowds - only the out-of-town fans will be weighted down with pockets full of poker chips.

JMC-STL wrote:
BluesSK wrote:... I think it's going to work in Vegas. There are going to be a lot of hardcore fans of other teams,especially from northern regions, going there for games and if they can develop a solid local fan base it should be a success.
With "more than 14,000 deposits for season tickets," there oughta be a pretty wide selection of seats on the after-market for many of the games. So I think they'll be hosting noticeable contingents of fans most nights who are dressed in visiting team colors. It'll be kinda like Blackhawks @ Blues game crowds - only the out-of-town fans will be weighted down with pockets full of poker chips.
...and if you don't have a date to take to the game, I'm sure that they'll be happy to supply you with one. ;)

From: The Las Vegas (NV) Review-Journal > Sports > NHL in Vegas
Bill Foley again asks for fans’ patience on NHL team name
Posted August 5, 2016 - 9:52am
Updated August 6, 2016 - 12:32am
By STEVE CARP
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Hockey fans are getting antsy again.

The owner is preaching patience again.

For months, the anxiety level of Las Vegas hockey fans rose to uncomfortable levels waiting for the NHL to officially award Bill Foley an expansion team. Since June 22, when the announcement was made, a new issue has fans acting restless — this time, it’s the team’s name and logo.

Though the team remains nameless, Foley said his choices are narrowed to four from an original 18 names the team submitted to the NHL for approval. His goal is to have everything in place, including merchandise to sell, when the name is officially announced in late September or early October. ...

Foley said “Knights” is still in play in some form. But the name “Las Vegas Knights” isn’t likely because a Canadian junior hockey team in London, Ontario, owns the rights to the name “Knights.”

“The London Knights own the name in Canada, and to acquire the name from London is not economically feasible,” Foley said. “In the U.S., ‘Knights’ are fine. But we can’t use it in Canada.” ...

Read more at: http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/nhl ... -team-name

JMC-STL wrote:From: The Las Vegas (NV) Review-Journal > Sports > NHL in Vegas
Bill Foley again asks for fans’ patience on NHL team name
Posted August 5, 2016 - 9:52am
Updated August 6, 2016 - 12:32am
By STEVE CARP
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Hockey fans are getting antsy again.

The owner is preaching patience again.

For months, the anxiety level of Las Vegas hockey fans rose to uncomfortable levels waiting for the NHL to officially award Bill Foley an expansion team. Since June 22, when the announcement was made, a new issue has fans acting restless — this time, it’s the team’s name and logo.

Though the team remains nameless, Foley said his choices are narrowed to four from an original 18 names the team submitted to the NHL for approval. His goal is to have everything in place, including merchandise to sell, when the name is officially announced in late September or early October. ...

Foley said “Knights” is still in play in some form. But the name “Las Vegas Knights” isn’t likely because a Canadian junior hockey team in London, Ontario, owns the rights to the name “Knights.”

“The London Knights own the name in Canada, and to acquire the name from London is not economically feasible,” Foley said. “In the U.S., ‘Knights’ are fine. But we can’t use it in Canada.” ...

Read more at: http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/nhl ... -team-name
That settles it...Las Vegas Elvises it is! :D