Player grades: Round 1

Parayko: A++. i can remember only one play where i was scratching my head. one mistake. and unlike some of our D, he recovered. the man is a demigod. with all the talk about fabbri, i didn't see parayko coming. so stoked he exists and is on our team.

Ott: A. hear me out. yes, on his first shift he instigated something that his linemate paid for in the box, but seeing how he is on the bench (i wish they'd show more of this) and before & after plays, seems like he's the heart of this team. he hits his ass off and is a part of a 4th line that can score (and did). he wasn't wreckless for most of the series, just did his job and kept eyes on the prize. i don't think we're the same team without him.

Upshall: A+. guy comes to camp for a tryout and ends up being a key piece of our team identity. plays his ass off and has hands. when ownership talks about adding "key veteran players", i always cringe and hear "old", but ott & upshall are the epitome of what they must mean. happy they are here.

Backes: B. gotta admit, he had a better series than i thought he would. he was pretty solid, had some good hits, wasn't an offensive slug. really, without his play last night, i probably would have graded him lower. but he showed up in a pretty big way last night and gave as much as he's capable of giving. he's not a "next level" captain, but watching his play compared to toews, it was night & day.

Tarasenko: B+. can't give him an A as he still had too many giveaways (dude, you don't have teammates that are you - you can't assume they will be where you think they should be) but when he was on the ice (ahem hitch), he was full-on and always a threat. i did see a few shifts where he seemed a like he had a tendency to want to watch & cherry pick, but he then would show up backchecking. i think he's adjusting well but hitch is not his coach. that being said, he's not as successful as he was this year without the way our team plays to give him room, which hitch had something to do with. i hope this victory really lights him up. he seems ready to play.

Schwartz: C. just average. he had some good checking plays, and was hungry for points, but just couldn't figure out how to get them. i expected more from him after last season's playoffs. i think chicago had him figured out. we'll see how he does against dallas.

JBo: D. i want to think that he's a veteran and quietly does what he's supposed to do and i shouldn't expect more, but every time he was on the ice i was watching him make a stupid decision. at least it felt that way. a handful of his plays led directly to goals. what the fuck is this guy doing? i'd rather watch our young guys make a mistake than this guy trying his best (which i think he is) and failing miserably. this guy has to go. he's a "veteran" but not the kind we need.

Shattenkirk: C-. had some real bone-head plays, but he also did have some good plays. really infuriating. i don't know what's happening with him. doesn't seem like the same guy he was. maybe it's watching parayko that makes our other D seem less than stellar.

Petro: B. i know people love to hate him, and i've been in that camp at points this season, but he did have some crazy solid plays last night when it counted. i expected more from him, but if last night is his ceiling, that's ok with me.

Elliott: A. c'mon, what can you say? the way we have treated this guy over the years, he owed us nothing. he is clearly giving us everything he has, and even if it's just for him, i'm happy for him. you have your chance, bud - take it. thank you.

that's just a few off the top of my head. what are yours?

Re: Player grades: Round 1

I agree with most of your grades.

Shattenkirk - I'd give him a solid C or C+ once you put him on the correct side.

Brouwer - A - You left him off your list, probably because we're all in agreement that he and upshall (more so that Ott) bring the steadiness that has been lacking

Brodziak - B - Very steady and compliments Upshall nicely. Take your eye off him and he has potential to make you pay. So close to netting one last night.

Petro - A - A workhorse for us in this series. Looked better than I've ever seen.

Ott - B - I think the days of fighting (especially in the playoffs) are a thing of the past, so he definitely brings a different skill set than Reaves. Sad to see REaves in the pressbox, but I get it. Still not an A grade, though. He makes me nervous when he's out there. Still, he played great.

Edmundson - B+ - Took him out of the lineup (for whatever reason) and we dropped 2 games. Not saying he's the reason why, but he's a heavy player and helps wear down the opposition. Safe to say our D has a bright future.

I'd up both Schwartz and Petro to both A's IMO. Schwartz lead the team in points and scored two key goals to put us ahead in games 3 and 4. Pietrangelo had one less point than Schwartz, played half of every game and was a big reason why Kane only scored once and Toews didn't score at all.

I'd downgrade JBo to an F. Only thing he contributed was that slapper in G7 that Lehtera tipped. I don't think he did anything else right otherwise.

Some additions:

Fabbri was outstanding. His play in the neutral zone preceding the Brouwer goal sums it up.

Berglund stepped up at times. He's good when he plays physical - just doesn't do it enough.

Stastny - Also stepped up at times, which would be fine if he made the same money Berglund makes, but I want more from him. Looked good in Game 7 though. Awesome on face-offs.

Parayko - Agree with your general thoughts, but I saw a handful of mistakes. His ability to recover from such mistakes and keep his head in the game, though, is encouraging. You can sense that he'll learn to minimize the mistakes and become an elite defenseman. He's a special player and looked great in round 1.

Brouwer can be better (and I expect him to be). I kinda wonder what we'd be saying at him if Chicago's D would have freight trained him as they should have while he was gathering that rebound.

Petro: A+ He is finally taking over games. Glad to see him reaching his potential.

Unsung hero goes to Stastny. I want more from him - point wise, but he dominated on face-offs. It was key to Blues winning the series, and that might go unnoticed to the casual eye.

I would upgrade Petro as many have already said. Petro's play this series exceptional. Playing 30 plus minutes a night while limiting Kane and Toews to one goal combined. His transition game was near perfect. He was good offensively and near perfect defensively. He even stepped up his physical play, A+. In my opinion he was our most valuable player next to Moose.

I would also upgrade Schwartz. Lead the team in points and had a couple very important goals. He had a very solid two way game all around.

Players who I was disappointed with again many have been mentioned.
JBo was terrible. Just terrible. Not sure if he is injuried but I think a game off might be necessary at this point to either get him focused or some extra recovery time.
Shattenkirk was also pretty bad. He was over matched defensively since it is the playoffs and Hitch could not shelter him as much. He also just did not preform at the level he is expect to preform at. He needs to step up his game big time on round 2.
Steen did not look good either. Although I think the injury is still bothering him more than we realize so it is not fair to grade him.

My grades are based on expectations/role. i.e. An A for Upshall is not the same A I would give someone like Tarasenko.

Steen C (Like others have mentioned, I suspect injuries have hampered him, but he still managed to make a few important plays)

Berglund B I don't even remember if he scored at all, but in the last few playoffs, he has learned how to show up, and use what skills he has, to his advantage. Unlike in years past, he goes to the net. He's learned to use that big body on the boards to help win puck battles.

Backes B Probably should be a B+, but I trying to rein in my emotions. You could tell he wanted this series bad. I think he would have played with two broken legs in game 7. Well, would have tried. Used his big body and made life miserable on the Hawks on the boards.

Stastny B I know folks are ticked because he didn't score, but his faceoffs, defense, and passes, were big factors in this win.

Fabbri B Might be a little high, but he impressed me with his willingness to take the body. It was his check that separated the puck and it was his pass to Brouwer for the winning goal.

Brouwer B+ If he had scored another goal or two, this would be an A. Some people were complaining about his play, but I thought he had a strong series, doing the things he was brought here to do, bang bodies, make the smart veteran plays at the right time, and add a little offense when it counted. A HUGE upgrade over Oshie.

Lehtera B Made some mistakes, but made some really important plays too.

Schwartz C+ Based on what he did, probably should be a B, but again, I expected more from a guy that has the ability to give it. That said, who knows how much strength may be missing in that ankle.

Tarasenko B+ Gave us the scoring we needed from him. Also made his share of mistakes, trying to go one on four, bad decisions leading to turn overs,etc. At least a couple of times he put the dmen and Ells under the gun by coasting instead of coming back hard to help out. I have no arguments with anyone that gives him an A. Like with Schwartz, I expect more from him, because he has it to give.

Brodziak B+ Really solidified that 4th line center spot.

Ott A Everybody wants to rip on Ott because he played for Hitch in Dallas. Well, I'm of the opinion that in ways that don't show up on the stat sheet, this guy was a big factor in pulling out this series. Above and beyond his hits, and on the ice play, the way he was constantly talking to his teammates, calming them down, etc. If only everybody on this team had the dedication and desire that burns within Ott. How he managed to come back from that ungodly injury in time for the playoffs, was nothing short of amazing. If Tarasenko had done that, Blues nation would already be declaring him God Almighty.

Upshall - A What a find by Army. Signs a two way contract in camp, and has just been a stud all year. Mr. Versatility. Skates, plays defense, hits people, makes plays, and works in a little scoring now and then.

Reaves Inc. I really like Reaves, but this team really really needed Ott's presence in the lineup this series.

Petro B I freely admit that Petro has significantly picked up his defensive game. And he scored a goal. He also still manages to make significant mistakes. If he was another player, I'd have given him an A. But he can and should play better.

Shattenkirk D I've been a huge Shatty fan, but for whatever reason, he was just butt ugly in this series. At both ends of the ice.

JBo - C- Was almost as bad as Shatty, but considering he was up against the top Hawks, I cut him a little more slack.

Parayako A Hell for a rookie, with as little experience as he has, it probably should be a A+++++. I've been around since the beginning, and he's the best Blues rookie dman I've ever seen. Like T.C. said, when he does make that rare mistake, he almost always finds a way to correct it and keep it from becoming a scoring chance. Where as I get nervous everytime the puck hits Petro's stick, when I see Parayako is involved in a play, I relax. I know good things are going to happen.

Edmonson C+ He wore down a little, made a couple of mistakes and had to sit out a couple of games. I'm really impressed with his attitude and smart play with the puck.

Gunnerson B Solid.

Elliott - A+ Brick wall. The guy just keeps battling. He's really developing that Grant Fuhr attitude - "Yeah, they scored 3, but watch me stop the big one."

Players who did better than expected: Ott (I've loathed his re-signing and hated how he played last season vs Minn) he kept his cool this year, yet smashed with fierceness; Petro - wow, just the d man we'd hope he would be, although maybe not as much offensively, he was great defensively, especially in the final 2 minutes last night; Fabbri; Great rookie season continued into the postseason. A couple big giveaways, but he also caused a lot of turnovers and offensive chances. Just hustled. Want to see him play with Tarasenko in crunch times; Parayako Just a beast. In my mind, MVP of the first series goes to him and Petro. Edmundson - Another rookie stepping up and into the fray. Great job, better than I expected. Elliott never been his biggest fan, but he played awesome since coming back from injury, and kept it up in the first round. Started letting out rebounds a bit more, so hopefully tightens up in 2nd round, but otherwise just great. Berglund; another one I've been regularly disappointed in, but he played a great series, props.

Players who let me down at one time or another...or often: Steen, Stastny, JayBo, Shatty, and Gunner. Nothing terrible, just didn't seem to have that extra something that the rest of the team had. Perhaps battling injury or something, but Steen for example was terrible last night for a player of his caliber.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

I think you guys are being just a BIT harsh on J-Bo...

You mention that Kane and Toews had 1 goal between them... who do you think had that assignment for most of the games? That would be J-bo.
While I agree he wasn't an A probably not even a B... But I would have to say solid C.
His long reach and shot blocking were crucial in forcing Kane and Toews to shoot/pass everything from the outside.

I think the group of them gets a combined A and a passing grade!!
On to Dallas!!

AttackLemmings wrote:I think you guys are being just a BIT harsh on J-Bo...

You mention that Kane and Toews had 1 goal between them... who do you think had that assignment for most of the games? That would be J-bo.
While I agree he wasn't an A probably not even a B... But I would have to say solid C.
His long reach and shot blocking were crucial in forcing Kane and Toews to shoot/pass everything from the outside.

I think the group of them gets a combined A and a passing grade!!
On to Dallas!!
That's why personally I said I expect more from him. A veteran D man with the hockey smarts JayBo has should have been a bit better. He had some cringe worthy moments, but not nearly as bad as Gunnerson for sure. Solid C or B- from Jay-Bo, but I just want to see his A game as we did before his injury...
"Do Only Good Everyday"

CaptSMRT wrote:Parayko ...is this kid real? If he only did one of the things he does well, he would still be a hero...passing, skating, SHOOTING, he is human hockey gravy. Would you take Jackman in his best year over Parayko in his first year? I know I wouldn't
One of my favorite things Parayko does is chase down loose pucks ahead of speedy opposing forwards. He did it to Kane and Panarin among others numerous times this series. His speed turns those plays from potential breakaways into non-events. I like him, I say we keep him.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

CaptSMRT wrote:Parayko ...is this kid real? If he only did one of the things he does well, he would still be a hero...passing, skating, SHOOTING, he is human hockey gravy. Would you take Jackman in his best year over Parayko in his first year? I know I wouldn't
I'd want them both. Jax for his grit and toughness. Parayako for his size and skill.

Parayko isn't a nasty, mean, checking dman but my God is he a good player. So calm with the puck, smooth fast skater, great hockey sense, a massive reach and an absolute bomb of a shot.

He reminds me of a combo between Nick Lidstrom and Shea Weber. He may never get to their stardom or success level but he is a rare find.

He is absolutely unfazed by the spotlight. Scores a goal in game 7, gives a fist pump and it's back to work. Just unreal.

A few stats to remember in assigning grades:

Tarasenko obviously led in goals with 4, followed by Schwartz with 3, and Backes and Parayko with 2, but we also had 8 other players with a goal. With 6 of the 7 games decided by just 1 goal, EVERY tally was important!

Schwartz led the team in points with 7 (which DOUBLES his CUMULATIVE playoff points: he previously had just 7 points in 18 playoff games!). Pietrangelo and Tarasenko had 6, and Fabbri had 5. All in all we had 15 players with at least 1 point.

That said, Schwartz also had the worst +/- on the team with a -3. Stastny, Parayko and Shattenkirk were -2. Fabbri and Berglund were +3, Pietrangelo and Bortuzzo were +2.

Brouwer led in hits with 36 (not surprising), Schwartz had 27 (surprising), and Backes and Upshall each had 23 (Ott had 21, but in only 5 games). Even Shattenkirk had 20 hits!

Pietrangelo had 25 blocked shots (!), Shattenkirk had 19 (!), Paryako had 12, and Bouwmeester 9. Schwartz led all of our forwards with 8.

General thoughts:

Elliott... Just awesome. 'nuff said.

Backes, usually not just the Blues' but the LEAGUE'S top hitter, played a VERY disciplined game, no head-hunting, dirty shots or the like. He also just tied his previous season-high playoff points mark.

Fabbri got a LOT of crap he didn't deserve (The infamous 'Goalie interference' call? Being mauled and blatantly hauled down another time with no call?) and played through it like a champ. He's paying his dues and still doing well.

Pietrangelo played a LOT, mostly against the Hawks' top guys, and effectively shut them down, as well as being tied for 2nd in team scoring. He's no Doughty or Weber or Keith yet, but he's not that far behind those guys, any more, either. He also topped his season high playoff points mark, too.

Gunnarson is playing through SOME kind of injury that's hampering him (More than just "having a booger removed... I'm Ok now," no matter what he said!) He's still being effective, although not at his best. FAR better than he was LAST season, though!

Shattenkirk is playing a more physical, defensive game that he's not really suited for, and his scoring is suffering. But as long as the team keeps winning, I'm OK, with it, and think he probably is, too.

Parayko looks great, but is still being deployed carefully, getting very little PK time, but is improving all the time, seemingly with every shift.

Bouwmeester's been good, but not nearly as good as he has been in the past. I'm not sure what's wrong, but I expect more from him. On the other hand, looking at his past playoff performance, he had a total of 2 points in 18 career playoff games before this year, and has 2 points in 7 games so far this year, so maybe my expectations are too high...

For those that don't like Steen on the point on the PP, he's only 5th on the team in PP ice time, and 3rd among forwards. Stastny and Brouwer have more PP time than him, Stastny for faceoffs, Brouwer for net-front presence, but we could probably re-vamp our power play a bit before the next series.

Schwartz is really turning into an excellent, all-situation player. He and Tarasenko are already great, and still improving. How exciting is that!

Lehtera isn't as dynamic as Schwartz and Tarasenko, but he definitely contributes to their success, too. And with 4 points so far, he's doubled up his previous post season totals (2 points in 5 playoff games).

I think we'll see more from Steen, Stastny and Backes against Dallas. I'd like to see Bouwmeester and Shattenkirk take a step up, too.

T.C. wrote: Shattenkirk: C-. had some real bone-head plays, but he also did have some good plays. really infuriating. i don't know what's happening with him. doesn't seem like the same guy he was. maybe it's watching parayko that makes our other D seem less than stellar.

22 is the guy with the most room for improvement from the first round. He may be suffering from less ice time with Petro getting huge minutes and Colton playing so well. Maybe he should play the left side, maybe not.