GDT: Blues vs Blackhawks Game 2 (7PM) FSMW

Don't change the game plan Hitch....looking for more hits is not going to win this game.
NHL wrote:Blues hoping for more hits against Blackhawks
Chicago defenseman Keith returns from suspension looking to even series

Game 2: BLACKHAWKS at BLUES

Western Conference First Round

St. Louis leads best-of-7 series 1-0

TV: 8 p.m. ET; NBCSN, SN, TVA Sports 2, CSN-CH, FS-MW

It didn't take long for body checks and physicality to grab center stage in this Western Conference First Round series between Central Division rivals.

The St. Louis Blues were credited with 41 hits against the Chicago Blackhawks in the 1-0 overtime win that started the series at Scottrade Center on Wednesday, had 57 by their count, and that still wasn't enough for coach Ken Hitchcock.

Hitchcock said after Game 1 he'd like St. Louis to shoot for 70-plus hits in Game 2. Asked about it Thursday after an optional practice, he reaffirmed that intention.

"Yeah, we're going to need it," Hitchcock said. "We've got to be more physical for us on the forecheck. We're reading too much rather than getting in on it. I think it's an area that's part of our game. Part of it is also puck management. They did a really good job of not letting us in the [offensive] zone with any type of control. Both teams checked really well."

Chicago has faced big, aggressive, forechecking teams before. The Blues did it in 2014, in a first-round series the Blackhawks won in six games. The Anaheim Ducks did it in the Western Conference Final last season, but Chicago won that in seven games before winning the Stanley Cup.

The Blackhawks, who were credited with 24 hits in Game 1, are confident they can expose the Blues' physical style by utilizing a speed game. In fact, coach Joel Quenneville all but said St. Louis would be making a mistake to chase too much body contact, and was skeptical of Hitchcock's magic number of 70.

"I'm not sure about that comment," he said. "I hope there's some validity to it. I hope he tries to go to 70. It means we got the puck the whole [game]."

Blackhawks team scope: Chicago will get back defenseman Duncan Keith, a two-time Norris Trophy winner and last season's Conn Smythe winner, from a six-game suspension for a high-sticking penalty in the regular season. Keith will likely go back to playing with Niklas Hjalmarsson on the top pair and should ease the load for the rest the defensemen. "He's such a big part of our team and he's definitely missed when he's not in the lineup," said defenseman Brent Seabrook, who played 30:35 in Game 1. "Playing 30 minutes, speaking for myself, I've done it a lot of times in the playoffs in big games. I like playing those kind of minutes and being counted on, but having Duncan back definitely can alleviate that pressure in some areas." Keith's return will likely bump either rookie Erik Gustafsson or rookie Viktor Svedberg out of the lineup. Chicago expects forward Andrew Ladd to play again. Ladd, who played in Game 1, was back in Chicago on Thursday and has been shuttling between there and St. Louis while his wife was waiting to deliver their third child. Goalie Corey Crawford is expected to start.

Blues team scope: St. Louis forward Jaden Schwartz is missing teeth but won't miss Game 2. Schwartz will play after some damage during the shift before Blues captain David Backes scored the game-winning goal at 9:04 of overtime. Schwartz was accidentally hit in the mouth by the blade of teammate Jori Lehtera's stick on a follow-through. "He's good," Hitchcock said of Schwartz. "Missing a couple teeth. Nice new smile. He's good." The Blues held an optional skate at Scottrade Center on Thursday. No major lineup changes are expected, and goalie Brian Elliott will start again after his first playoff shutout. The Blues held a meeting prior to their on-ice work, and one of the main subjects was how to crack Chicago's stifling defense, which allowed 18 shots in Game 1. "They're taking away your time and space pretty good," defenseman Alex Pietrangelo said. "They seem to want to get five guys toward the puck as much as possible, so our goal is to try to get out of that swarm and create offense from that."
Last edited by T.C. on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added a link to the content source, stickified

Re: GDT: Blues vs Blackhawks Game 2 (7PM) FSMW

I don't really believe that Hitch has a hit quota for his guys...I just think that he's taking advantage of the opportunity that they have given him by playing a rough and physical game1. I think that they pretty much did that shit on their own, and Hitch is being an opportunist...trying to get into Q's (and his team's) head. Hitch is too conservative to risk the penalties that come with that style of play. I think that the Captain is driving the bus now....and not Captain Kangaroo.