GDT-Blues @ Blackhawks 9/26/15

Nobody put up a GDT? I'm starting late, so no background info. Just comments. Blues" mainly prospect-filled squad holding their own, so far against the veteran-filled Hawks' lineup.

Brouwer just made a nice drive on net on a partial breakaway, set up by his flattening the Hawk defenceman, Schilling, but routine shot and save.

Fabbri with Backes and Brouwer as 1st Line.

Re: GDT-Blues @ Blackhawks 9/26/15

I like the way Brouwer uses the hitting game to make room for himself for initiating offensive plays. That will help on the PP and in the playoffs. With Backes doing that, and Parayko and Edmundson adding that (once they are regulars), The Blues will be a tougher team to play. Yet, with their upcoming younger and faster team, they'll not be big and slow, but big and with at least average, if not a little better than average team speed.

Robb_K wrote:Blues made a good kill off of that penalty.

Rattie had a nice effort taking a clearing pass and driving.

Parayko is looking very good. Edmundson very steady. I'm feeling very good about the future of The Blues' defence.
Parayko and Edmundson are the two standouts for me tonight also

Unless that puck was deflected, Allen should have been able to get a piece of that Keith shot.

Blues went with a physical lineup tonight, I assume to set a tone for how they want to play the Hawks this season. I don't mind that but there needs to be some offense among the physical guys. Upshall was invisible. Ott wasn't very noticeable except for the time he went after the Hawk's guy who low bridged Parayko.

Butler still isn't good enough to be a regular on D.

Bluesn score the OT goal Brouwer!

Great pass by Fabbri had Brouwer wide open. He made no mistake. A lot of posters said that adding another big player like Brouwer would slow this team even more. But he looked nice and fast on that play.

I've really liked what I've seen from Brouwer so far.

Bouwmeester was the anchor of the defence, without Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk. I'm happy to see him skating well again like his pre-injury days. Yes, both Fabbri and Rattie played better than in their previous 2 games. Jaškin looked good again. This should be his breakout season. With his new speed and smooth skating and his accelerated "beastiness", he's going to help this team a lot.

Edmundson and Parayko really impressed me. Brouwer had some rust problems, and had some calls against him, but he scored a goal, and made some nice hits that helped get space that ultimately created scoring chances, and he set screens on the pp. I think he will help this team. Allen looked good. All 3 goals were screened, and on 2 of the 3 he really had no chance. The 3rd would have been a super save by the very best goalies (he had very little chance).

BluesSK wrote:Unless that puck was deflected, Allen should have been able to get a piece of that Keith shot.

Blues went with a physical lineup tonight, I assume to set a tone for how they want to play the Hawks this season. I don't mind that but there needs to be some offense among the physical guys. Upshall was invisible. Ott wasn't very noticeable except for the time he went after the Hawk's guy who low bridged Parayko.

Butler still isn't good enough to be a regular on D.
Maybe that was a secondary factor, but, I think the main reason was that Blues brass wanted to look at certain young players more, and The Hawks wanted to get their regulars some work in to get them better prepared to start the season. I hope there is a complete reversal for the 2 teams in their game at St. Louis on Thursday.