Re: Favorite Movie

Carcus wrote:I might be crazy, but my friend talked me into taking off work and doing the Star Wars marathon at Ronnie's.

I just hope I don't fall asleep by the time the new one starts...
Smuggle a couple dozen tacos in with you.

CaptSMRT wrote:One of the best action movies of all time, Robocop. A classic skewering of the action model by Verhoven...ultra violent, funny, mean spirited, and awesome, the struggle of Man vs Machine in 90 mins. I will never forget the day when I got picked up from summer camp and my brother telling me...you have to go see Robocop. The story of a man tortured and torn from life by violence, then resurrected as our mechanism of salvation...Robocop does exist.
His name is spelt: "Verhoeven". It means, roughly, "a great need" in Dutch language. He is, indeed a good director.

It's difficult for me to make a list of a top 1000 favourite films, just as it would be to choose a "top 1000 songs". Most of the films I like are from the 1920s through 1940s. But, I like a few hundred made after that.

A few memorable ones I can think of:

"The Producers"
"Things To Come"
"Mutiny On The Bounty" ('30s version)
"Most Dangerous Game" (30's version)
"Kind hearts and Coronets"
"Captain's Paradise"
"Dracula" (1931)
"The Mummy" (Karloff)
"The Idol"
"Blazing Saddles"
"The Lavender hill Mob"
"Lloyds of London"
"D'Israeli"
"How The west Was Won"
"Sergeant York"
"Captain Blood"
"Ivanhoe"
"Schindler's List"
"A Double Life"
"Random Harvest"
"The Informer"

I could go on forever (but I need to work to earn money).

Robb_K wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:One of the best action movies of all time, Robocop. A classic skewering of the action model by Verhoven...ultra violent, funny, mean spirited, and awesome, the struggle of Man vs Machine in 90 mins. I will never forget the day when I got picked up from summer camp and my brother telling me...you have to go see Robocop. The story of a man tortured and torn from life by violence, then resurrected as our mechanism of salvation...Robocop does exist.
His name is spelt: "Verhoeven". It means, roughly, "a great need" in Dutch language. He is, indeed a good director.

It's difficult for me to make a list of a top 1000 favourite films, just as it would be to choose a "top 1000 songs". Most of the films I like are from the 1920s through 1940s. But, I like a few hundred made after that.

"The Producers"
"Things To Come"
"Captain's Paradise"
"Dracula" (1931)
"The Mummy" (Karloff)
"The Idol"
"Blazing Saddles"
"The Lavender hill Mob"
"Lloyds of London"
"D'Israeli"
"How The west Was Won"
"Sergeant York"
"Captain Blood"
"Ivanhoe"
"Schindler's List"
"A Double Life"
"Random Harvest"
"The Informer"

That's awesome Robb. Always nice to see people who enjoy the golden age of Hollywood. So many classics came out of Hollywood in the 30s and 40s. I mean they cranked out quality films by the truckload. 1939 alone had 10 movies that would be worthy of the top 10 of an entire decade later on. One of my absolute favorites from that era is The Maltese Falcon. Casablanca is great too but Bogart's best performance was in the Falcon.
Alfred Hitchcock was unbelievably good from this era as well. Rebecca is my favorite film of his.
And then of course there was the King, Clark Gable. Still the best leading man in film history. I just love the golden age stuff.

ratonmono wrote:
Robb_K wrote:

"The Producers"
"Things To Come"
"Captain's Paradise"
"Dracula" (1931)
"The Mummy" (Karloff)
"The Idol"
"Blazing Saddles"
"The Lavender hill Mob"
"Lloyds of London"
"D'Israeli"
"How The west Was Won"
"Sergeant York"
"Captain Blood"
"Ivanhoe"
"Schindler's List"
"A Double Life"
"Random Harvest"
"The Informer"

That's awesome Robb. Always nice to see people who enjoy the golden age of Hollywood. So many classics came out of Hollywood in the 30s and 40s. I mean they cranked out quality films by the truckload. 1939 alone had 10 movies that would be worthy of the top 10 of an entire decade later on. One of my absolute favorites from that era is The Maltese Falcon. Casablanca is great too but Bogart's best performance was in the Falcon.
Alfred Hitchcock was unbelievably good from this era as well. Rebecca is my favorite film of his.
And then of course there was the King, Clark Gable. Still the best leading man in film history. I just love the golden age stuff.
I like Hitchcock a lot, but I always have to laugh at "Foreign Correspondent" (his first film made in USA), in which he had a German, with a super-heavy German accent playing a Dutch diplomat. Couldn't they find one Dutch expat in L.A. who could act??? I know a few who lived there at the time the movie was filmed. Also, couldn't they find a couple Dutch expat children?? That American blond-haired girl who attempted the Dutch lines in the scene, describing the man who went towards the windmill, clearly never spoke a word of Dutch in her life (including while she was choking on the Dutch script lines). Americans may not know what Dutch sounds like, but they certainly could tell when someone is trying to read a language he or she has never seen nor heard before. Very amateurish of Hitch, but he never really cared for getting details right (he and his McGuffins!).

I saw a YouTube video of an interview that Ingrid Bergman did , several years ago. She said that it was amazing that Casablanca turned out to be the hit that it was, and still is, because it was written as they shot it. She said that none of the actors knew how it would end, because the end wasn't written yet. They were going to shoot two endings (one with her leaving with Laszlo, and one with her staying with Rick)and pick out the best one. They shot the first one, and decided that a second one wasn't necessary. The interviewer then asked which way she would have liked it to end, and she said that she would have preferred to stay with Bogie. ;)

Entourage: The Movie...Zero Stars

This movie was weak as fuck, even the titty shots they threw in couldn't save it. Nothing interesting happens in the much anticipated film adaptation of the popular cable TV show about Marky Mark and his crew of parasites, they never should have given that guy money. Nothing fun happens in this snooze fest, the main plot about trying to get Vince more money to finish his first directorial debut makes no sense because everyone he knows is rich, the sub plots were tepid, too much of the story focuses on the least popular character (E), and all of the cameos were lame. Do not bother with this piece of crap even on a snow day.

Word War II Movies
(In no particular order)
Twelve O'Clock High - For me, it may be the best war movie ever.
The Longest Day
Tora Tora Tora
To Have & Have Not - I've always thought it was better than Casablanca.
Patton
The Battle of Britain
Bridge On the River Kwai
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
The Raid
The Enemy Below
Sands of Iwo Jima
The Great Escape
The Winds of War, & War and Remembrance Mini Series

The Shining has been on IFC a bunch and I have watched it a couple of times lately. I am having trouble seeing why people hate this movie so much, the acting is great, the story is twisted, and it has Scatman "Autobot Jazz" Crothers.

CaptSMRT wrote:The Shining has been on IFC a bunch and I have watched it a couple of times lately. I am having trouble seeing why people hate this movie so much, the acting is great, the story is twisted, and it has Scatman "Autobot Jazz" Crothers.
The original or the "re-make" starring that dude from the sitcom "Wings"? Probably the former, since you referenced Crothers.